Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteAsked how he feels about moving from the DC world of "Batman" to Marvel's "Spider-Man" universe, Keaton says: "You're asking the wrong guy. I know so little about the entire culture; honestly it's a little embarrassing. You'd think that even by osmosis I would know more about it."

Fortunately, a friend has two young daughters who help him out. "They fill me in on the backstory of my character and all the other characters. So when I have questions, I call them."
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/beetlejuice-sequel-has-to-be-done-right-michael-keaton-says-1201824781/

I hope they don't kill him off. It'd be awesome to see Keaton return in a later movie as part of the Sinister Six. Right now, I just want to see a live action image of his costume. The concept art looks awesome – they've taken one of the potentially goofiest looking supervillains and made him appear badass and intimidating. He's even more threatening when you consider it's Keaton under the mask.

The MCU Vulture must be pretty dangerous. Holland's Spider-Man might be a novice, but he's already tangled with Captain America and several other superheroes. If Vulture can stand alone against him, then he must rank fairly high on the threat metre.

The first official trailer, and International trailer were released.

Looks like it could be fun. I'm sorta in that feeling that it's somewhat difficult to get super amped up excited over this, since this is yet another take on Spidey in a relatively short amount of time, but Holland seems to evoke that nerdy, socially awkward Peter Parker that was introduced by Lee/Ditko way back in the early 1960's, that I felt was blatantly excluded during the Marc Webb films. In addition, not going to lie, anytime Keaton plays a villain, I'm already intrigued. However, I can't say I really care for the Vulture mask all that much. Sure, it makes sense that a criminal would want to hide their face, but considering this is a Spider-Man movie, where the idea of "realism" can obviously be played with, I would have preferred a more traditional approach, where we get to see Adrian Toomes/Michael Keaton's face. Or at the very least, some sort of head gear/helmet. Similar to what the 2nd Vulture, Blackie Drago, had.

All in all, it will be interesting to see a Spider-Man film with a John Hughes type of approach, along with one that incorporates the notion that this is a universe already filled with other superheroes. A first for any Spider-Man movie. That's a concept that was immediately brought to the forefront with comic book Spider-Man. Right at the start of Amazing Spider-Man #1 with Spidey inquiring about membership with the Fantastic Four!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The trailer didn't do much for me. But I'll still see it for Keaton.

My girlfriend is a Spidey fan from way back. If she wants to see it, we'll see it. If she doesn't... eh, I honestly don't care.

I saw someone on YouTube making a good point about Civil War tying into Homecoming.

Now that the Sokovia Accords is working as a fully sanctioned legislation, how can Spider-Man still roam around the streets around Manhattan? Considering the trailers showed us that a police helicopter is chasing after him, it makes less sense. Has Iron Man somehow convinced the government to exempt Spider-Man? Do the Accords only concern the Avengers, and not "local" heroes? I can't remember.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Here is a hilarious fan edit of the trailer, co-starring Keaton as Batman!  ;D

And don't worry, it's safe for work, so ignore the caption.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

New Posters.

And a Vulture Comic/Movie homage that's kinda fun.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'm not sure I care for The Vulture's updated costume.  It's a bit bland, and I thought the Spider-Man movies might have done with masks after the Green Goblin.

Also, shouldn't Osborne Industries be just as prominent to the New York skyline as the Avengers headquarters?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 10 Dec  2016, 23:17
The trailer didn't do much for me. But I'll still see it for Keaton.
Sorry Keats, but I've revised this stance.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 25 Mar  2017, 23:59
I'm not sure I care for The Vulture's updated costume.  It's a bit bland, and I thought the Spider-Man movies might have done with masks after the Green Goblin.

I can agree that it's a bit generic. Vulture's had some updated looks in the books that even ditches the green in his costume, but doesn't involve wearing a mask.

QuoteAlso, shouldn't Osborne Industries be just as prominent to the New York skyline as the Avengers headquarters?

I'm kinda glad that it isn't to be perfectly honest. The Osborne's have been done to death, and would be perfectly fine if they sat it out in the MCU for atleast the foreseeable future. I would be more interested in a MCU Doc Ock at the moment. Especially in light of that character's notoriety in the comics in recent years.