Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 14 Jul  2017, 23:08
Aside from the orchestral rendition of the old Spider-Man theme and that one Ramones song, I can't remember any of the music in this film. With the eighties John Hughes influence, I wish they'd gone full retro and given it a synthwave soundtrack similar to Drive or It Follows. Considering how nondescript Jon Watts' direction is, particularly compared to Raimi's signature style, I think the film would also have benefited from some retro eighties cinematography (fogged sets, dry ice, coloured lights in night scenes, soft focus during romantic daylight scenes, etc).

I think that would have atleast given the film a pleasing aesthetic that would have resulted in it feeling a little bit more unique and memorable. As it stands, I found this movie to be remarkably unmemorable save for a few performances. Character-wise, nothing really sticks out (much like any and all action sequences that were offered), and thus a complete dud.

After seeing Homecoming, and if I were to re-rank all 6 Spidey movies thus far, this would either come in dead last, or second to last. Amazing Spider-Man 2 had that distinction, but it's a tight race now.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

After seeing Homecoming I think the movie was below average, not terrible, but not that great either.

I liked Tom Holland okay in the role (although I don't see why some fans are calling him the best Spider-Man actor already) and I certainly enjoyed seeing Michael Keaton as the Vulture, and Iron Man wasn't in the film as I much as I thought he would, but the movie as a whole just felt like it was missing something, in fact I'd call it the most forgettable Spider-Man film to date.

Maybe it did more for others and that's fine, but I'm not really optimistic for future Spider-Man films after this.

Homecoming had a 62.2% drop in its second week. But if a DCEU film has a percentage drop, the knives come out.

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 27 Jul  2017, 15:50
I wonder where Christian Bale's career is going? I doubt once he pulled ahead of Keaton, anyone thought Keaton would pull back ahead but yet while Keaton seems to be making a comeback proving he can still be a leading man, curiously Bale's career has quieted down since the Dark Knight Rises. He has shared the screen in some good films the Big Short and American Hustle but all of a sudden he's no longer a leading man. Is this a career choice or have his off-camera antics caused movie studios to be careful about headlining films around him?

Either way it's a good time to be a fan of the Burton bat films. Five years since it ended, the Nolan trilogy is already failing the test of time and losing relevance, Bale did not end up taking over Hollywood as some predicted, Hans Zimmer retired from superhero films meanwhile Keaton is back on his game, Michelle Pfeiffer is joining the MCU, Danny Elfman is composing for the justice league and the current Batman clearly takes far more cues from Keaton than Bale.

Who knows with Bale? It could be there's something going on behind the scenes in Hollywood, or maybe, he's just taking a break before returning to the spotlight again. If not, perhaps he's deliberately keeping a low profile because he doesn't like how the industry works there? I wouldn't blame him if that were true.

To think that several years ago, Michael Keaton was mostly considered a forgotten star, albeit fondly remembered in his heyday sometimes. But ever since he began his resurgence in the RoboCop remake, and then progressed to hype and buzz through Birdman, he's suddenly remembered as the cool dude with the screwed up face who played Batman again. I remembered a time when turncoats from bottom feeding clickbait sites downplayed his career completely. Not any more.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  4 Oct  2017, 10:23
Quote from: riddler on Thu, 27 Jul  2017, 15:50
I wonder where Christian Bale's career is going? I doubt once he pulled ahead of Keaton, anyone thought Keaton would pull back ahead but yet while Keaton seems to be making a comeback proving he can still be a leading man, curiously Bale's career has quieted down since the Dark Knight Rises. He has shared the screen in some good films the Big Short and American Hustle but all of a sudden he's no longer a leading man. Is this a career choice or have his off-camera antics caused movie studios to be careful about headlining films around him?

Either way it's a good time to be a fan of the Burton bat films. Five years since it ended, the Nolan trilogy is already failing the test of time and losing relevance, Bale did not end up taking over Hollywood as some predicted, Hans Zimmer retired from superhero films meanwhile Keaton is back on his game, Michelle Pfeiffer is joining the MCU, Danny Elfman is composing for the justice league and the current Batman clearly takes far more cues from Keaton than Bale.

Who knows with Bale? It could be there's something going on behind the scenes in Hollywood, or maybe, he's just taking a break before returning to the spotlight again. If not, perhaps he's deliberately keeping a low profile because he doesn't like how the industry works there? I wouldn't blame him if that were true.

To think that several years ago, Michael Keaton was mostly considered a forgotten star, albeit fondly remembered in his heyday sometimes. But ever since he began his resurgence in the RoboCop remake, and then progressed to hype and buzz through Birdman, he's suddenly remembered as the cool dude with the screwed up face who played Batman again. I remembered a time when turncoats from bottom feeding clickbait sites downplayed his career completely. Not any more.
Notice that aside from Christopher Nolan, Bale rarely works with the same people on multiple occasions. Many have cited he is difficult to work with.

I think with the time that's passed, people are realizing that Keatons Batman films are far more re-watchable than Bales and not nearly as flawed as the Nolan camp led us to believe nor were Keatons films bogged down by bad dialogue and an excruciatingly bad Bat-voice.

Remember with Keaton, the Nolan camp tried to rewrite history denying how huge Bat-mania was from 1989-1992 and attempting to claim that Keatons performance was protested AFTER the release instad of before. What you said about Bale avoiding the limelight may apply to Keaton as well. Look at his film credits from the 00's

Toy Story 3
Ken (voice)
2009 Post Grad
Walter Malby
2008 The Merry Gentleman
Frank Logan
2006 The Last Time
Ted Riker
2006 Cars
Chick Hicks (voice)
2005 Herbie Fully Loaded
Ray Peyton Sr.
2005/I White Noise
Jonathan Rivers
2005 Game 6
Nicky Rogan
2004 First Daughter
President Mackenzie
Catch Me If You Can (2003) ... Jerry Andrews (voice)
- Pigmalion (2003) ... Trip Larsen (voice)
2003 Quicksand
Martin Raikes
- Wheels of Fortune (2002) ... Blaine Sternin
- Pokey Mom (2001) ... Jack Crowley (voice)
2000 A Shot at Glory

Not a single memorable role that decade. By 2010 it was easy to predict that his career was winding down but then Robocop made him relevant again, Bird Man showed us he still has the talent to be an A-lister, and in a spider-man film over stuffed with characters, his came out the strongest.

Tue, 10 Oct 2017, 02:29 #126 Last Edit: Tue, 10 Oct 2017, 02:44 by Azrael
Quote from: riddler on Thu,  5 Oct  2017, 23:10
I think with the time that's passed, people are realizing that Keatons Batman films are far more re-watchable than Bales and not nearly as flawed as the Nolan camp led us to believe nor were Keatons films bogged down by bad dialogue and an excruciatingly bad Bat-voice.

Remember with Keaton, the Nolan camp tried to rewrite history denying how huge Bat-mania was from 1989-1992 and attempting to claim that Keatons performance was protested AFTER the release instad of before. What you said about Bale avoiding the limelight may apply to Keaton as well. Look at his film credits from the 00's

This propaganda also made it in official products.

The exclusive documentary found in the 25th Anniversary "Diamond Luxe" of the 1989 film had a condescending tone towards the film.

It was late 2014, more than two years since Nolan's third came out, and an official documentary, in an official product, basically said the film it accompanies is flawed and not very good.

I don't know how many special features in BluRays, anniversary editions in particular, do that.

Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 02:29
This propaganda also made it in official products.

The exclusive documentary found in the 25th Anniversary "Diamond Luxe" of the 1989 film had a condescending tone towards the film.

It was late 2014, more than two years since Nolan's third came out, and an official documentary, in an official product, basically said the film it accompanies is flawed and not very good.

I don't know how many special features in BluRays, anniversary editions in particular, do that.

Yeah, I remember this forum talked about that a couple of years ago. That was pretty sh*t of WB to throw B89 under the bus in an official home video product. Given it had paved the way for the live action franchise which future Batman films took ideas from (as well as arguably setting the tone for the modern superhero film), not to mention its influence on the beloved BTAS, you would think WB would have the sense to celebrate how influential the film was.

Pathetic.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I remember it quite well. I had never owned the 89 film in any format until 2014. Once I caught wind that a 25th anniversary steelbook edition was in the works, I got excited and planned on picking it up. The takeaway I got from the special features was the thesis that Batman 89 was supposed to be an example of how a film can be profitable without being good. Also the presence of David Goyer in some of the commentaries was enough reason for me to avoid it considering the guy has never had a positive thing to say about Burton and Keaton. I was so disgusted by how badly the film itself was thrown under the bus, I oped for the standard blu ray edition without the presence of Goyer (whom I have nothing good to say about).

I agree that that particular feature was incredibly weird. I remember being sorta excited about a new special feature with the "Diamond" edition of Batman 1989, but probably not as quite as I might have otherwise been considering all the great special features that accompanied the 2005 SE's and subsequent blu ray releases. That being said, my reaction was like that of the consensus here. Essentially a slap in the face towards the film, while the SE DVD/Blu was a celebration of it.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."