RIP Kenny Baker

Started by The Joker, Sat, 13 Aug 2016, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/13/kenny-baker-r2-d2-dies-star-wars

Apparently it was not unexpected as he had been ill for some time, although even when expected its still a shock when it comes.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This is sad news. I'd noticed he was confined to a wheelchair when he was promoting The Force Awakens, but I didn't realise the severity of his health issues until now.

Obviously we all remember Kenny as R2-D2. But he had a successful career as a character actor and performed in numerous other films and TV shows besides Star Wars. His notable film credits included such classics as The Elephant Man (1980), Time Bandits (1981) and Amadeus (1984), and his TV work included appearances in The Goodies, The Adventure Game and The Chronicles of Narnia.

It would be nice if Episode VIII was dedicated to his memory.

Yes, it was very sad to hear this news today.

Of course, most of the tributes understandably focus on Star Wars and R2D2.  I love Mark Hamill's Tweet:
QuoteGoodbye #KennyBaker A lifelong loyal friend-I loved his optimism & determination He WAS the droid I was looking for!
But I'll also add that I'm particularly fond of his performance in the brilliant Time Bandits, as Fidget, the sweetest of the eponymous time-travelling thieves.

And I agree with Silver Nemesis.  It would be great if the credits to Episode VIII pays tribute to Kenny, seeing as he was such an integral part of the saga.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

May the Force be with him

RIP :(