Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 03:32
I'm glad people remember that Spider-man 2  was considered the best superhero film of all time when it was released in 2004.

For me at least, it probably still is the best.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 03:32I remember Spider-man 2 was on the top 250 list of the IMDB. Currently it sits at 7.3 only slightly higher than the first Amazing spider-man.

That's an unfortunate trend that occurs whenever a property is rebooted. I remember the ratings for Raimi's Spider-Man films used to be a lot higher, but then all the Webb/Garfield fans went around rating them down in an effort to bolster the reboot. The same thing happened to the Chris Reeve Superman films back in 2013. Superman: The Movie (1978) – arguably the single most important superhero film of all time – presently has a rating of 7.3.

And don't get me started on what the Nolan fans did to Batman Returns.

I wouldn't take IMDB's Top 250 too seriously. It's run by shills who give a new movie an insanely high rating, and then it gets inherited by deadbeat fanboys looking to either amp up the score or bog it down - depending on their agenda. It's meaningless.

Besides, judging by the scumbags who made up most of the forums, IMDB was hardly a place that appealed to the highest common denominator.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 04:19Whichever semantics people would like to use, the bottom line is that the last two DCEU films to be released on home video had better Blu Ray versions than theatrical films. I am hoping for that trend to get bucked here.
And no I haven't bought into anything. I have never written a film off before seeing it myself. If Batman is in a film, I'm going to see it soon enough no matter what the box office or critics say.

It sucks the Snyder tragedy happened, it really does, I'm not sure what people criticizing Wheadon and Elfman being added are hoping for? DC to have released the film as is or blow it up and start over?
Not to pile on but tons of movies do reshoots. What a filmmaker thought he was shooting and what he in fact shot are often two very different things. Or maybe something needs to be clarified. Or maybe something needs to be eliminated. Reshoots aren't inherently negative -- or inherently positive. They just are.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 21:51It's run by shills
Many of the members were shills too. And I mean that in a very literal sense. IMDB, at least at one time, had a lot of currency in Hollywood so they'd send paid flacks in there to pose as members and gab up certain movies.

I one time noticed that certain members would only start talking about a movie two or three months before its release and about three weeks after and then move on to something else, never to return. The exceptions were shaky stuff like Mission Impossible III, Superman Returns, Lady in the Water, Poseidon Adventure and other duds. They'd stick around those a bit longer, closer to a full month after their release. But eventually they'd move on from those too.

Nobody (and I do mean NOBODY) does stuff that way. Hell, look at us! Many of us are still hanging around here waxing fanboy over Burton 25+ years later. But those IMDB members would only talk about certain movies during their PR cycles before moving on to whatever came next. And their comments were ALWAYS positive ("Tons of fun!", slightly generic ("Getting tickets took longer than usual but no big deal"), always diplomatic ("You and I will just have to agree to disagree") and ALWAYS G-rated ("One heck of a great time at the movies!". Never once did any of them use profanities or call another member a name or any of the other things that real people do online.

And I'm supposed to believe they weren't on someone's payroll? Puh-leez! IMDB was useless if you wanted meaty discussion.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  6 Jul  2017, 00:04
Not to pile on but tons of movies do reshoots. What a filmmaker thought he was shooting and what he in fact shot are often two very different things. Or maybe something needs to be clarified. Or maybe something needs to be eliminated. Reshoots aren't inherently negative -- or inherently positive. They just are.

Exactly right. Thor Ragnarok is reportedly undergoing reshoots right now, but you don't see the media fanning the warning signs now, do you?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  6 Jul  2017, 11:02

Exactly right. Thor Ragnarok is reportedly undergoing reshoots right now, but you don't see the media fanning the warning signs now, do you?

The expectations are far different though. Financially speaking, the MCU hasn't cranked out a bad movie, the most unprofitable one was the Incredible Hulk and even that wasn't a dud. Marvel will be forgiven way quicker if the next Thor movie doesn't pan out than DC/WB would be if they mess up the Justice League since aside from Wonder Women the DCEU has been underwhelming so far.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  7 Jul  2017, 15:44
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  6 Jul  2017, 11:02

The expectations are far different though. Financially speaking, the MCU hasn't cranked out a bad movie, the most unprofitable one was the Incredible Hulk and even that wasn't a dud. Marvel will be forgiven way quicker if the next Thor movie doesn't pan out than DC/WB would be if they mess up the Justice League since aside from Wonder Women the DCEU has been underwhelming so far.
Ah. We're back to this old canard, I see. Well, contrary to popular belief, the DCEU not only hasn't released an unsuccessful film yet but per capita the DCEU has actually been more profitable than the MCU.

Why nobody chooses to acknowledge that, I have no idea. But there it is.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  7 Jul  2017, 18:01
Ah. We're back to this old canard, I see. Well, contrary to popular belief, the DCEU not only hasn't released an unsuccessful film yet but per capita the DCEU has actually been more profitable than the MCU.

Because people tend to confuse their subjective opinion about a film with financial results. If BvS doesn't reach a billion dollars for example, it failed, they say. Well, one can say whatever they want about the film, but I find that claim misleading. Justice League would've been completely overhauled if BvS's gross revenue was that bad i.e. not letting Zack Snyder direct it and delaying the film's release.

But let's remember that box office is certainly not a reliable parameter to judge quality. For example, The Winter Soldier was the MCU's last truly great film, and it grossed $714 million worldwide. That's certainly big money, but it should've made a hell of a lot more. Whereas much inferior films like Age of Ultron and Civil War out-grossed it. Even Suicide Squad out-grossed TWS, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides, if the MCU keeps producing trash like GOTG2, it's only a matter of time before they get bitten in the ass.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  7 Jul  2017, 18:01

Yep. Gotta spin the story as a negative to the DCEU at all costs man!

But...but....DC used more popular characters than Marvel to launch their universe! They started with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman....whereas Marvel launched with lesser known characters like Iron Man!

Money is money, and the DCEU is making more of it at this stage in comparison to Marvel. Period.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  7 Jul  2017, 18:01Ah. We're back to this old canard, I see. Well, contrary to popular belief, the DCEU not only hasn't released an unsuccessful film yet but per capita the DCEU has actually been more profitable than the MCU.

Much like riddler said, there are different expectations. DC movies should be more profitable. But they're not as profitable as it should be.

1,920,000,001 to 2,994,000,001 is too close when the competition to the 2 biggest superheroes in mainstream media is... Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. By all standards, BvS should have beaten at least Iron Man 1&2 on its own. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Sat, 8 Jul 2017, 02:20 #159 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Jul 2017, 02:23 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 02:03Yep. Gotta spin the story as a negative to the DCEU at all costs man!

But...but....DC used more popular characters than Marvel to launch their universe! They started with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman....whereas Marvel launched with lesser known characters like Iron Man!

Money is money, and the DCEU is making more of it at this stage in comparison to Marvel. Period.
Of course it's going to do better. It would be silly otherwise. It should be doing better than what it's doing though.