Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:50
A lot of these people aren't really movie fans. They are gamers or comic book fans who just happen to like movies. They don't know much nor care about things like cinematography, score, editing, legitimate film history, and I bet if you sat them through a silent film, they'd balk at the idea, and to me, a person like that shouldn't be either a professional or wannabe film journalist.

I even have to question their wisdom in comics knowledge because of their selective outrage about Batman killing in BvS, when he did it a lot in previous movies AND comics over the years. But I agree with you. As I said elsewhere, I'd love to see how they fare once Hollywood's superhero craving comes to an end.

With Raimi's films, people seemed to turn on them after the third film. For more, the first two were enjoyable and the third one, for me, was very awkward. But one bad egg doesn't spoil the rest.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like people are always trying hard to warp film history.

I've seen writers crediting the MCU for starting the comic book craze. As if the X-Men and Spider-Man films (and even Blade), regardless of what anybody else thinks of them, didn't exist. So yes, they are revising history, just as Batman-on-Film does. And now I'm starting to see that for Spider-Man too.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:50
Oh, wait. Of course. They're hipsters chasing after clicks, views, likes and subscriptions...

Indeed. Which is why I don't watch Collider or pay attention to blogs or geek-related news anymore. And the worst part is, the more these idiots hype up and accept anything that Marvel does, they're going to help bring the MCU to its downfall. We should be getting less films similar to Iron Man 2, and more stuff similar to The Winter Soldier right now. But that's not going to happen as long as people accept sub-standard stuff like GOTG2, and just emphasise how "fun" it is, instead of discussing the characters, plot, arc, themes etc. Assholes.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:57With Raimi's films, people seemed to turn on them after the third film. For more, the first two were enjoyable and the third one, for me, was very awkward. But one bad egg doesn't spoil the rest.
I suppose. But I never saw what the hype was all about with the first one. I mean, yeah it was cool that we finally had a Spider-Man movie after all those years of trouble. But the end product was a little meh after the novelty wore off. I rather enjoy the second and third. Especially the third, which gets a bad rap if you ask me.

It's a weird criticism to me to accuse a Hollywood movie (which are often called creatively bankrupt) of having too many good characters, too many good stories, too many good ideas, etc.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:57One thing I've noticed is that it seems like people are always trying hard to warp film history. You see that a lot in "All Hollywood makes is superhero films" articles which act like genre trends have never existed before (Westerns, anyone?) and that their favorite childhood films from "the good 'ole days" were never a part of that. I guess it's true what Stephen King once wrote in one of his novels: "When it comes to the past, everyone writes fiction."
It's sort of unavoidable because our views of things change over time. I enjoyed Batman Returns as a kid but it wasn't a favorite like B89 or BF were.

In fact, it probably wasn't until around the time Batman Begins came out that I rewatched BR and realized how awesome it is. I hadn't seen it in years up to then but the years had definitely been kind to it. At that time, the big winner was Elfman, whose score hit so much harder than I remembered on an emotional level.

On that some note, it took an even longer time for me to acknowledge that Superman II is a serious turd and Superman III has more brilliance going for it than anybody is ever likely to admit.

I don't mind people changing their views on something over time. We all do it. What irks me is someone sounding off as though they're some big authority on a character slamming on some movie or whatever when, in truth, they don't know Frank Miller's Daredevil from Joe Quesada's Daredevil. You know? It just bothers me, that's all I'm saying.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:57
With Raimi's films, people seemed to turn on them after the third film. For more, the first two were enjoyable and the third one, for me, was very awkward. But one bad egg doesn't spoil the rest.
Honestly, if Raimi's trilogy was the only series of films ever made about Spider-Man, I'd be content with them. Nolan tried to create a beginning, middle and end for Batman, and in my opinion it didn't exactly work out. But Raimi? Wow. The franchise was going to continue, but nonetheless, what we have is a solid trilogy. Let's look at what we have

Peter starts out as a shy young nerd.
Peter is bitten by the spider and gains confidence.
Peter uses his powers selfishly and Uncle Ben dies.
Peter begins using his powers for the greater good.
Peter struggles to balance his real life with his superhero life.
Peter quits being Spider-Man.
Peter returns to being Spider-Man because he remembers what Ben said.
Peter finally gets to be with Mary Jane.
Peter loves the fact Spider-Man is loved by NYC.
Peter once again becomes selfish after the symbiote latches onto him.
Peter alienates MJ and realizes he has lost himself.
Peter removes the symbiote and returns to his old self.
Peter saves the day and attempts to reconcile with MJ.

We see the full arc of a young man becoming an adult crimefighter. He started out as a hated menace, and transitioned into a loved icon. The incident with the symbiote made sure the status quo of the public doubting Spider-Man returned, which is rather genius. And we end with Peter trying to woo MJ again. So as with the comics, the story continues and it all ends at the beginning.
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 00:40
And so what I'm saying is I don't need some hipster doofus who's watched The Dark Knight too many times telling me what's what when it comes to Batman. I KNOW Batman. If BVS/Affleck/Snyder passes muster with me, it's legit. People can love or hate the final product(s). But I say it's legit. That, dear friends, is BATMAN.

I guess I'm sorry if some hackjob writer with a boner for the ghost of Christian Bale is butt-hurt over that. But facts is facts.
I know what you mean. For me to say I prefer Affleck over Keaton is a big deal. I don't say these kind of things lightly.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:50And those Raimi movies are pretty formative for the stuff we're getting from Marvel Studios now. So if there must be a comparison, I'd say Raimi should probably do okay considering how similar in tone his movies are to Marvel's. It's a bizarre criticism.
Not really. I mean, they're colorful like the Raimi movies. But Raimi had a very specific cheesy factor for his and that's something that I've only really seen TFA come close to. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 04:43Not really. I mean, they're colorful like the Raimi movies. But Raimi had a very specific cheesy factor for his and that's something that I've only really seen TFA come close to. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Very true, the Marvel Studios movies are only slightly more cynical than the Raimi Spider-Man movies, you're right about that. I agree.

Sun, 2 Jul 2017, 01:31 #145 Last Edit: Sun, 2 Jul 2017, 01:33 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 03:27
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:57
Honestly, if Raimi's trilogy was the only series of films ever made about Spider-Man, I'd be content with them.

I do think Spider-Man 3 is the weakest in the Raimi trilogy, but it's not really a bad film. After all, it's much better than the MCU's worst offerings i.e. GOTG2 and Iron Man 2. Besides, I don't think the complaints about a dancing Peter Parker being too cheesy holds up as a legitimate complaint, if people can praise how fun it is for Star-Lord to challenge Ronan to a dance-off. Really, is the humour between the Raimi films worse than the MCU? That's debatable.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 28 Jun  2017, 10:55
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 27 Jun  2017, 21:10
New pic of Batman from JL.

I thought we would see the BvS Batsuit one more time in JL. This is a great image. Reminds of Keaton's Batman wandering around the dark cathedral in B89.

I'm looking at that new picture of Batman again, and I think he might be wearing another different cowl than the one he wore in BvS.

That cowl has angry-looking wrinkles above his eyebrows. Compare that to the BvS cowl, which doesn't have that.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  2 Jul  2017, 01:31I do think Spider-Man 3 is the weakest in the Raimi trilogy, but it's not really a bad film. After all, it's much better than the MCU's worst offerings i.e. GOTG2 and Iron Man 2. Besides, I don't think the complaints about a dancing Peter Parker being too cheesy holds up as a legitimate complaint, if people can praise how fun it is for Star-Lord to challenge Ronan to a dance-off. Really, is the humour between the Raimi films worse than the MCU? That's debatable.
The Starlord dancing scene isn't cheesy. It's purposely a distraction to Ronan. Better than IM 2, sure. I can't see the better than GOTG 2. About the same level though, yeah.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:50
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:05They're attention whores. Especially Collider. They're now hyping up Homecoming at the expense of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, claiming they're too goofy and zany. Which is odd because so is Homecoming, from what I've seen.
Not to split hairs over your point but... really? I mean, I remember people saying way back when that Spider-Man 2 is the greatest superhero sequel there's ever been, even better than Superman II (oddly enough).

And those Raimi movies are pretty formative for the stuff we're getting from Marvel Studios now. So if there must be a comparison, I'd say Raimi should probably do okay considering how similar in tone his movies are to Marvel's. It's a bizarre criticism.

Oh, wait. Of course. They're hipsters chasing after clicks, views, likes and subscriptions...

I'm glad people remember that Spider-man 2  was considered the best superhero film of all time when it was released in 2004. Then the following year Batman Begins came out and the Nolanites did what they normally do and tore it to shreds and once Spider-man 3 came out, it became easy to hate on Raimi. Once the amazing spider-man  came out in 2012, many fans gravitated towards Webb. Had Raimi and Maguire never made the third film or had they made a fourth film better received, spidey 2 likely would be held in higher esteem now.

I remember Spider-man 2 was on the top 250 list of the IMDB. Currently it sits at 7.3 only slightly higher than the first Amazing spider-man

With respect to Elfman, I love it. Some may disagree but I feel he's never done a bad score. It does seem like WB is giving each hero their own score similar to what the Adam West Batman series did with their villains. Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad released far better directors cuts than actual films so I certainly wouldn't criticize them for fixing the movie BEFORE it was released and honestly given the Snyder tragedy, people should lighten up and give them a chance to pick up the pieces. I for one think they're doing an admirable job making the best of it and they are demonstrating that they are at least trying to please the fans.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 03:32
It does seem like WB is giving each hero their own score similar to what the Adam West Batman series did with their villains.
Yes, but that isn't a new thing or exclusive to the West show.
Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad released far better directors cuts than actual films
With all due respect, the BvS directors cut is the actual film. They didn't fix the film per se, they merely presented the film as it really is. Releasing the edited version is a failing of the studio, not Snyder.
so I certainly wouldn't criticize them for fixing the movie BEFORE it was released and honestly given the Snyder tragedy, people should lighten up and give them a chance to pick up the pieces.
Pick up the pieces? Fix the movie? You haven't bought into the idea the film is a mess have you?

Additional scenes are being shot, and they will be added to the content Snyder already filmed. They said the scenes will blend with the tone Snyder has already established, and I'm sure I read that Snyder OK'ed those scenes as well. I don't see how a studio can reshoot an entire film in two/three months. That idea is nonsense, therefore I take the studio at their word.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 03:53
It does seem like WB is giving each hero their own score similar to what the Adam West Batman series did with their villains.
Yes, but that isn't a new thing or exclusive to the West show.
Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad released far better directors cuts than actual films
With all due respect, the BvS directors cut is the actual film. They didn't fix the film per se, they merely presented the film as it really is. Releasing the edited version is a failing of the studio, not Snyder.
so I certainly wouldn't criticize them for fixing the movie BEFORE it was released and honestly given the Snyder tragedy, people should lighten up and give them a chance to pick up the pieces.
Pick up the pieces? Fix the movie? You haven't bought into the idea the film is a mess have you?

Additional scenes are being shot, and they will be added to the content Snyder already filmed. They said the scenes will blend with the tone Snyder has already established, and I'm sure I read that Snyder OK'ed those scenes as well. I don't see how a studio can reshoot an entire film in two/three months. That idea is nonsense, therefore I take the studio at their word.

Whichever semantics people would like to use, the bottom line is that the last two DCEU films to be released on home video had better Blu Ray versions than theatrical films. I am hoping for that trend to get bucked here.
And no I haven't bought into anything. I have never written a film off before seeing it myself. If Batman is in a film, I'm going to see it soon enough no matter what the box office or critics say.

It sucks the Snyder tragedy happened, it really does, I'm not sure what people criticizing Wheadon and Elfman being added are hoping for? DC to have released the film as is or blow it up and start over?