Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Azrael on Wed, 28 Jun  2017, 09:40Don't know why the amount of official stills available is so small. BvS had only a handful (you were mostly seeing the same trailer screencaps posted over and over, not actual stills) and now with Justice League it's pretty much the same. Very few.

Compare to the Nolan era. The amount of official stills avaliable during the few months before The Dark Knight Rises came out was vast, and mostly hi-res (4000-6000px) too.

Same with Batman Begins and (especially) The Dark Knight.
The trend in recent years has been toward clamping down on stuff and releasing things a bit closer to the release date. Once upon a time, a movie would be completely spoiled a year before it even came out. Movie studios wanted us to believe that's because stuff was leaked by insiders but mostly it was producers and marketing wonks releasing it. Spy pictures were about as rare then as they were back in the 80's. I could believe that the Star Wars prequels were legitimately leaked by unauthorized sources but those were mostly the exceptions to the rule.

But as I say, in more recent years these movie studios have begun scaling back the "leaks" and "spy reports" precisely to preserve as much mystery as possible. So I think that's what's going on with JL.

Here's a fine example of Justice League/Zack Snyder Derangement Syndrome mixed in with Marvel bias.

http://whatculture.com/comics/justice-league-9-biggest-mistakes-its-already-made

Check the comments people posted in response. They get it.

"Ugh fail article. Thank Zod you're not in charge of these decisions..."
"Whatculture just hates DC and if you watch there trailer reaction... there not interested in it at all."
"Oh, here's our weekly WhatCulture DC bash article."
"wow that was dumb."
"i see you are back to bashing the dceu again. must feel good to be back in familiar territory i guess."
"haha pathetic."
"These aren't mistakes, these are just bitches and complaints from the writer"
"you havent even seen the GD film and your trashing it already. "

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 29 Jun  2017, 07:27
Here's a fine example of Justice League/Zack Snyder Derangement Syndrome mixed in with Marvel bias.

http://whatculture.com/comics/justice-league-9-biggest-mistakes-its-already-made

It's quite typical, considering the URL address.

The people who run WhatCulture are nothing but pathetic, clickbait-chasing swines who jump on the bandwagon, and enjoy trying to provoke outrage. They are just as bad as BuzzFeed. After all, both sites run listicles - the hacks.

They're also unprofessional and don't treat freelance writers very well.

http://mediareviewsfeaturesandmore.blogspot.com/2014/04/an-open-letter-to-what-culture.html
https://drayfish.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/thats-what-he-said-whatculture-australian-poetry-and-plagiarism/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's really sad that there are film sites where the columnists really don't know anything about film and/or clearly go into movies trying to hate them. I've actually head that before from a movie blogger. "I wanted to hate it.." Why would you want to hate a movie?

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 29 Jun  2017, 15:17
It's really sad that there are film sites where the columnists really don't know anything about film and/or clearly go into movies trying to hate them. I've actually head that before from a movie blogger. "I wanted to hate it.." Why would you want to hate a movie?
Yep. Whenever there's an 'outrage' I remind myself that it's the same old tired voices saying the same old tired things.

For me, it comes down to one very simple fact:

I know Batman.

Sorry if that sounds dismissive to anybody else. But it's true. I've been a fan of the character for 75% of my life. I've read his comics, seen his movies, watched his TV shows, listened to his film scores.

I've studied the character, analyzed his psychiatric profile, savored various iterations of the character in comics, thrilled to non-comics interpretations of the character and even assembled my own imaginary Batman canon. A work in progress, a work of art, never to be completed.

I've collected his action figures, created Photoshop manips of Batman-related imagery I enjoy and even thrown in my two cents on gin-u-wine film commentary and critiques of various Batman movies. I've spent more time obsessing over Batman artists than was probably necessary. Or healthy.

What I'm saying is I KNOW this character. Highs and lows, ups and downs, warts and all. His best and his worst.

I don't claim exclusivity. It's not like I'm the first guy in history to love Batman. I'd never make that claim. But I have a fully formed view of the character. And I enjoy Snyder and Affleck's spin on the character. It's BATMAN in a way that no other interpretation of the character ever has been. Not definitive. But then, what is? Right?

And so what I'm saying is I don't need some hipster doofus who's watched The Dark Knight too many times telling me what's what when it comes to Batman. I KNOW Batman. If BVS/Affleck/Snyder passes muster with me, it's legit. People can love or hate the final product(s). But I say it's legit. That, dear friends, is BATMAN.

I guess I'm sorry if some hackjob writer with a boner for the ghost of Christian Bale is butt-hurt over that. But facts is facts.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 00:40
And so what I'm saying is I don't need some hipster doofus who's watched The Dark Knight too many times telling me what's what when it comes to Batman. I KNOW Batman. If BVS/Affleck/Snyder passes muster with me, it's legit. People can love or hate the final product(s). But I say it's legit. That, dear friends, is BATMAN.

I guess I'm sorry if some hackjob writer with a boner for the ghost of Christian Bale is butt-hurt over that. But facts is facts.

These hipster, sh*tgrinning "writers" are bandwagoners. It wouldn't surprise me if they're only pretending to be fans Bale/TDK because it's the popular thing to do. In other words, it's possible they don't really believe the sh*t they write, they're doing it for clicks.

The same can be said of these moronic geek YouTube channels like Collider. Some people like Jon Schnepp (who is only famous for directing the Superman Lives documentary) flip flops his opinion on BvS, by saying he hated the theatrical cut, then claiming to really like the Ultimate Edition...and then he pulled another 360 degree turn about the film, and how Snyder didn't get the characters. ::)

They're attention whores. Especially Collider. They're now hyping up Homecoming at the expense of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, claiming they're too goofy and zany. Which is odd because so is Homecoming, from what I've seen.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Here's where my pet peeve comes in with a lot of these movie blogger types. You either hear a series of contrived nitpicks or they can't praise one movie without dogging another, making it less of a review for FILM A and more of a passive aggressive slant against FILM B. When I read such opinions, I can't help but imagine that maybe that person wasn't open-minded and went in wanting to find something, anything wrong with it and if they didn't, they'll make one up.

For me, it was quite clear that a lot of people were looking to find something wrong with MoS, BvS, and the DCUE in general before seeing these films and while I personally didn't like everything about MoS or BvS, I didn't think their flaws were that critical or prominent. For me, what is most important is my own personal experience with the film itself not how it compares to another experience entirely (i.e. BvS versus Nolan's versus Burtons versus the comics and so on) or other people's opinions for that matter.

And I get it. A lot of these people aren't really movie fans. They are gamers or comic book fans who just happen to like movies. They don't know much nor care about things like cinematography, score, editing, legitimate film history, and I bet if you sat them through a silent film, they'd balk at the idea, and to me, a person like that shouldn't be either a professional or wannabe film journalist.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:05They're attention whores. Especially Collider. They're now hyping up Homecoming at the expense of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, claiming they're too goofy and zany. Which is odd because so is Homecoming, from what I've seen.
Not to split hairs over your point but... really? I mean, I remember people saying way back when that Spider-Man 2 is the greatest superhero sequel there's ever been, even better than Superman II (oddly enough).

And those Raimi movies are pretty formative for the stuff we're getting from Marvel Studios now. So if there must be a comparison, I'd say Raimi should probably do okay considering how similar in tone his movies are to Marvel's. It's a bizarre criticism.

Oh, wait. Of course. They're hipsters chasing after clicks, views, likes and subscriptions...

Sat, 1 Jul 2017, 01:57 #139 Last Edit: Sat, 1 Jul 2017, 02:03 by GoNerdYourself
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:50
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  1 Jul  2017, 01:05They're attention whores. Especially Collider. They're now hyping up Homecoming at the expense of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, claiming they're too goofy and zany. Which is odd because so is Homecoming, from what I've seen.
Not to split hairs over your point but... really? I mean, I remember people saying way back when that Spider-Man 2 is the greatest superhero sequel there's ever been, even better than Superman II (oddly enough).

With Raimi's films, people seemed to turn on them after the third film. For more, the first two were enjoyable and the third one, for me, was very awkward. But one bad egg doesn't spoil the rest.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like people are always trying hard to warp film history. You see that a lot in "All Hollywood makes is superhero films" articles which act like genre trends have never existed before (Westerns, anyone?) and that their favorite childhood films from "the good 'ole days" were never a part of such a system. I guess it's true what Stephen King once wrote in one of his novels: "When it comes to the past, everyone writes fiction."