A Batman '89 comic-book series

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 22:20

I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Ordway get another turn at the Burtonverse. His art for the 1989 comic adaptation was nothing short of outstanding!

i think even Ordway himself has said he's a notoriously slow artist, and to that I say, give the guy some notice so he can get a head start and be well ahead of the curve by the time the release dates start coming. The art alone would be well worth it.
Ordway himself points back to the B89 adaptation as one of his finest works. He's not wrong.

These look interesting, I must say.

Ordway did a '89 commission as recently as last year.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 22:20
I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Ordway get another turn at the Burtonverse. His art for the 1989 comic adaptation was nothing short of outstanding!

Dan Jurgens agrees.

If I were casting a Batman '89 project, I'd ask @JerryOrdway to draw it. After all, he has already set the standard by which every other artist will be measured.

https://www.twitter.com/thedanjurgens/status/1361859219121709057

Ordway is great, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen from Quinones. I can tell this comic run will be a labour of love.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 02:25
Dan Jurgens agrees.

If I were casting a Batman '89 project, I'd ask @JerryOrdway to draw it. After all, he has already set the standard by which every other artist will be measured.

https://www.twitter.com/thedanjurgens/status/1361859219121709057

Ordway is great, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen from Quinones. I can tell this comic run will be a labour of love.

Beggars can be choosers of course, but if this does end up to be a successful endeavor, with the possibility of succeeding volumes, I sincerely wouldn't mind if Ordway gets a shot at doing a prequel/sequel of sorts. Perhaps a finite story set in between Batman'89 and Batman Returns. As it would make for a great companion piece with the 1989 Comic Adaptation. In addition, I can see how Hamm could reincorporate his initial ideas of Batman being more accepted within Gotham following the events of '89, debris from the Batwing is being sold, Batcreeps ect.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri,  3 Jul  2020, 20:48
I think an official announcement, and any and all info on every comic issue's subsequent solicitation and release date, would have a lot of us here like these guys.

Yeah, you called it.

For me, my Batman fandom started with B89. Yes yes yes, I quickly followed it up with The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, the West show, BTAS, BR, etc. But B89 remains my first love with Batman, other amazing versions notwithstanding.

I'm a cheerleader from way back when it comes to a Burton comic. So for me, this is like a wish come true. I have nary a criticism to offer... but I would like to say that I will be watching. Closely. I'm hoping for the best. Not necessarily expecting it. But hoping.

Now that the Batman '89 comics written by Sam Hamm came and went, I'd like to know if the ideas behind the original pitch were drastically different than what we ended up getting. You can tell the original idea for Barbara Gordon was much younger than the police Sargeant, so there's no way she would've been romantically involved with Harvey Dent. Maybe she would've become Batgirl, as a concept of her in costume was drawn by Quinones. Whatever ideas he had, surely it would've been worthwhile than the wasted character she ultimately became in Hamm's writing. Unless another volume is coming, I don't see that ending having any sort of payoff, if you can call it that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm just going to place this here.

Recent Jerry Ordway sketch cover featuring Jack Nicholson's Joker!

Jerry Ordway drew this amazing sketch back in 2021. It appears to be based on a newspaper comic strip that was an alternative tie-in between B89 and Returns.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1746585

I suppose that's Robin fighting King Tut, the villain from the Adam West show. Ordway modeled Robin's mask after the one that Chris O'Donnell wore in Forever. It appears Catwoman is holding Vicki Vale hostage.

There is a link to a podcast that discusses these newspaper comic strips.

Another Jerry Ordway commission done in 2021, depicting the Gotham Cathedral confrontation from Batman 1989.

Batman 1943 gets a shout out with Lewis Wilson getting a name drop.