A Batman '89 comic-book series

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 05:36
Quote from: GBglide on Wed, 22 Jul  2020, 01:54
Batman was armored, Joker was scarred. Catwoman's costume was as fragile as her psyche. Penguin was deliberately unattractive.
Burton had said that Two Face would have had black on one side and white on the other.

Really? I wonder if that's where BTAS got the idea for Two-Face from.

Quote from: GBglide on Wed, 22 Jul  2020, 01:54
How do you think other characters would have been "Burtonized" had the movies continued?

I read that Burton wanted to shave the Riddler's head into a question mark, but I don't know if that's true. Jim Carrey wanted to do the same, but he couldn't because he had to attend court for divorce proceedings.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112462/trivia

Some artists drew up their interpretation of what Burton's third Batman might've been, as you can see in this example below.

https://www.deviantart.com/micromaned/art/Tim-Burton-s-Batman-Forever-78589654

I always assumed Harvey was black in the animated series because of Billy Dee's casting in the 89 film.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 20:12
I always assumed Harvey was black in the animated series because of Billy Dee's casting in the 89 film.
People have been debating that ever since BTAS first aired.

I was looking at Joe Quinones's Twitter page the other day and saw this nice sketch of Batman and Robin, starring Michael Keaton and Marlon Wayans.  8)

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1275808811429826561

Yeah, you can tell this guy is a huge Burton Batman fan. I love the detail he puts into drawing Wayans's features onto the Robin suit.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 28 Jul  2020, 13:28
I was looking at Joe Quinones's Twitter page the other day and saw this nice sketch of Batman and Robin, starring Michael Keaton and Marlon Wayans.  8)

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1275808811429826561

Yeah, you can tell this guy is a huge Burton Batman fan. I love the detail he puts into drawing Wayans's features onto the Robin suit.

That is cool!  8)

Comic book artist Chris Samnee shared his artwork of Keaton's Batman on social media, while paying homage to Prince by writing "Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1989".

https://www.twitter.com/ChrisSamnee/status/1291784457834369030

It's good, but I prefer the level of detail that Joe Quinones puts into his artwork. Nonetheless, I love how Keaton's Batman can translate in comic book form so well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Introducing Burtonized characters that were not present in the two Burton films is an interesting concept. Since the Burtonverse lends itself to yet another alternate history of a specific, and beloved Batman universe, DC could also play with the idea of merging characters together as well, to be perfectly honest. Depending on how far you want to go with that notion. For instance, the '66 villain False-Face is revealed in the comic to be Basil Karlo, who then becomes a '66 version of Clayface.

To me, Chip Shreck would be a shoe in for something like this. But for which villain? Sure, you could go with just Chip Shreck, and that's it. Or the writer/editor can go with merging Chip with an established comic book Batman villain together. Being that Chip was apparently close to his father Max, I could see Chip going into a deep depression as a consequence to his father's untimely demise. Possibly even suffering from a mental breakdown as well, and wanting revenge. Perhaps in his misery, Chip goes so far as to dig up his father's coffin, and use pieces of the coffin to create his own grotesque black mask. Creating not a Roman Sionis Black Mask, but a Chip Shreck Burtonized Black Mask.

Course I'm just spitballing here.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  8 Aug  2020, 01:34

Introducing Burtonized characters that were not present in the two Burton films is an interesting concept. Since the Burtonverse lends itself to yet another alternate history of a specific, and beloved Batman universe, DC could also play with the idea of merging characters together as well, to be perfectly honest. Depending on how far you want to go with that notion. For instance, the '66 villain False-Face is revealed in the comic to be Basil Karlo, who then becomes a '66 version of Clayface.

To me, Chip Shreck would be a shoe in for something like this. But for which villain? Sure, you could go with just Chip Shreck, and that's it. Or the writer/editor can go with merging Chip with an established comic book Batman villain together. Being that Chip was apparently close to his father Max, I could see Chip going into a deep depression as a consequence to his father's untimely demise. Possibly even suffering from a mental breakdown as well, and wanting revenge. Perhaps in his misery, Chip goes so far as to dig up his father's coffin, and use pieces of the coffin to create his own grotesque black mask. Creating not a Roman Sionis Black Mask, but a Chip Shreck Burtonized Black Mask.

Course I'm just spitballing here.

Great ideas. I got a crazy imagination of Chip Shreck becoming Bane, only because I know Andrew Bryniarski is a big man in real life. I can't believe he's the same guy who played Zangief in Street Fighter.

A goofy premise could go something like this: with his father now dead, the Shreck business empire and family name is left in tatters because Max's crimes have been exposed, Chip leaves Gotham City a broken man. He escapes to South America, finds himself at the wrong place at the wrong time and is sent to prison in Santa Prisca.

Similar to Bane's backstory in Vengeance of Bane, Chip could have a near death experience behind bars, but instead of hallucinating his future self like in VOB, Chip hallucinates the spirit of his father who tells him he must avenge his death by killing Batman (similar to Norman Osborne telling Harry to avenge his death in Raimi's Spider-Man). Chip's hatred of Batman enables him to survive prison, and his willpower makes him a candidate for the Venom experiment. He survives, and returns to Gotham City as Bane with the promise of "breaking the Bat" and reclaim the city, in a warped attempt to rebuild the Shreck family heritage. Catwoman returns upon hearing that Chip is wrongfully blaming Batman for his dad's death, and takes responsibility by working together with Batman to stop Bane.

It's fan fiction stuff, sure, but most of these comic tie-ins are.  ;D

If Burton had imagined his own take on Bane, maybe the costume would've resembled as Victorian era strongman attire, with a bizarre circus looking Luchador mask. Something that would blend well with the Red Triangle Gang.

If they actually did go the Batman Beyond route in the comic or the films, I like the idea of Terry going to Shreck's High School. The idea there would be that since no one knows what happened behind closed doors Max is seen as a mortar. Just a bit of world building that I would like.

Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 22:55 #38 Last Edit: Sun, 23 Aug 2020, 01:49 by The Laughing Fish
Jim Lee drew this very nice picture of Keaton's Batman with Axis Chemicals appearing in the background. Except he called the factory its original name in the comis, Ace.

https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/1297270406919806976

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Aug  2020, 13:35
Great ideas. I got a crazy imagination of Chip Shreck becoming Bane, only because I know Andrew Bryniarski is a big man in real life. I can't believe he's the same guy who played Zangief in Street Fighter.

A goofy premise could go something like this: with his father now dead, the Shreck business empire and family name is left in tatters because Max's crimes have been exposed, Chip leaves Gotham City a broken man. He escapes to South America, finds himself at the wrong place at the wrong time and is sent to prison in Santa Prisca.

Similar to Bane's backstory in Vengeance of Bane, Chip could have a near death experience behind bars, but instead of hallucinating his future self like in VOB, Chip hallucinates the spirit of his father who tells him he must avenge his death by killing Batman (similar to Norman Osborne telling Harry to avenge his death in Raimi's Spider-Man). Chip's hatred of Batman enables him to survive prison, and his willpower makes him a candidate for the Venom experiment. He survives, and returns to Gotham City as Bane with the promise of "breaking the Bat" and reclaim the city, in a warped attempt to rebuild the Shreck family heritage. Catwoman returns upon hearing that Chip is wrongfully blaming Batman for his dad's death, and takes responsibility by working together with Batman to stop Bane.

It's fan fiction stuff, sure, but most of these comic tie-ins are.  ;D

If Burton had imagined his own take on Bane, maybe the costume would've resembled as Victorian era strongman attire, with a bizarre circus looking Luchador mask. Something that would blend well with the Red Triangle Gang.

That's pretty cool!

That's the great thing about spitballing with a elseworlds/alternate earth type of stuff. Because you can go far out with the ideas, and not harm the main continuity and history in any way. This was also fun with the Ultimate Marvel comics for awhile there, until it went on for years and years with hundreds of comics under that imprint. Eventually getting bogged down by it's own continuity.

Also, thanks for posting that Jim lee Batman art. Hadn't seen that one.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."