A Batman '89 comic-book series

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

WHOA. Great find, Johnny. It's a real shame that wasn't produced.

Kinda curious who Babs was meant to be modeled after.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Is Barbara Gordon supposed to be Christina Ricci?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  9 Mar  2016, 07:15
Is Barbara Gordon supposed to be Christina Ricci?
It does look a bit like her, and would probably make sense considering that Ricci appeared in one of Burton's later movies, Sleepy Hollow (I'm assuming the comics were intended to be faithful to Burton's aesthetics and representative of the type of approach he might have taken had he continued with the franchise).

Great find. That cover is lovely. Fingers crossed something like this gets off the ground one of these days.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  9 Mar  2016, 07:26
Great find. That cover is lovely. Fingers crossed something like this gets off the ground one of these days.
It would be great if some of us could post some messages on the linked site and demonstrate that there is a demand out there for this (certainly among us lot...and I suspect many of the people who bought the Batman '66 limited comic-book series).

But the fact that this idea was even proposed at all, by accomplished comic-book artists at that, does at least increase the likelihood that perhaps, as you say, it might get off the ground one day.  :)

Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 09:35 #6 Last Edit: Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 11:23 by The Laughing Fish
Judging by the look of Joe Quinones' illustration of Poison Ivy, I gather this is supposed to be modeled after Geena Davis.

My only guess why this project got turned down was because any character designs that resembled these actors would require royalties. I remember DocLathropBrown saying in the Suicide Squad thread last year that Jack Nicholson had a clause written in his contract that said he earned the right to be paid if any other live action adaptation of the Joker resembled his portrayal. Perhaps B66 didn't have to worry about such legal issues?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  9 Mar  2016, 09:35
My only guess why this project got turned down was because any character designs that resembled these actors would require royalties. I remember DocLathropBrown saying in the Suicide Squad thread last year that Jack Nicholson had a clause written in his contract that he earned the right to be paid if any other live action adaptation of the Joker resembled his portrayal. Perhaps B66 didn't have to worry such legal issues?
That's very interesting.

I'd hate to think that we're going to have to wait until all the main Batman and Batman Returns actors/actresses are dead before we could have such a comic-book.  :-\

Also, that's a very perceptive observation in suggesting that Quinones' illustration resembles Geena Davis.  Now I think of it, you're 100% right.  :)  He has even captured Davis' beauty mark in exactly the right place.  The only difference I think is that Geena seems taller and her thighs seem less broad than this Poison Ivy.

And for what it's worth, I think Geena would have been a great choice for Poison Ivy during the 1990s.  I'd like to think that such a film exists in some alternate universe out there.

Dear comic book writers of the past now editors in charge of publishing;

I'm sure sorry you hated what Burton produced in the 1980s while you were writing comic books/thumping your comic strip bible, but now that you run the show, do you think maybe you could not cut the sack off of this property, a virtual guaranteed hit in the market/demographic of...I guess you call it the 'lowest common denominator'...that's the internet speak for the people that ACTUALLY decide what's successful with their wallets. We out here, who watch all the comic book movies, but dare to have a healthy but Laissez-faire relationship with comic-book lore/GOSPEL, well you see, crazy at it might seem...

We still like Mr. Mom as Batman and don't care how much it ruined your lives 30 years ago. We still exist and in far greater numbers than you might realize. We would gladly buy this...

Hope my rant didn't offend, but I'm done. I'll go about my day now, and let you get back to thinking that Wolverine in yellow spandex in a mask in a major motion picture is still the only way to go.

Regards, Mike aka "Crazy fanboy in minority."

In all seriousness, I mean no offense, but my knee, damn if it didn't jerk hard this morning.