Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  8 Aug  2016, 12:36but there's no excuse for racial abuse against this actress. Oh well, they don't speak for the majority of the fans.
You f**k with the bull, you get the horns. There's a thing called "sympathy" and I have none for Jones.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 02:13
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  8 Aug  2016, 12:36but there's no excuse for racial abuse against this actress. Oh well, they don't speak for the majority of the fans.
You f**k with the bull, you get the horns. There's a thing called "sympathy" and I have none for Jones.

I do. It's one thing that people hate the movie but she'd received some pretty harsh comments on twitter including one of the KKK lynching a black woman. That is beyond excessive I don't care how much people feel that their favourite film is being bastardized.

Quote from: riddler on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 16:15
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 02:13

I do. It's one thing that people hate the movie but she'd received some pretty harsh comments on twitter including one of the KKK lynching a black woman. That is beyond excessive I don't care how much people feel that their favourite film is being bastardized.

Agreed. Jones handled the situation badly by fighting with trolls in the first place, but those racist comments were way out of line. I saw some of the things people posted before the comments were deleted and they were horrible. It's one thing to hate the movie, but to stoop to that level is uncalled for.

It was wrong for the supporters of this film to verbally abuse the fans the way they did, particularly when they launched nasty personal attacks on James Rolfe and his family. But that doesn't justify the film's critics resorting to racism to redress the balance.

Yep. There's a way to attack something. You have to keep all the usual fallbacks the other side falls back upon in mind if you really want to defeat them. Attack the film and their acting ability, not the people. Otherwise, they'll just say "SEE, all people who hate Ghostbusters are racist, sexist pigs!"

Quote from: riddler on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 16:15I do. It's one thing that people hate the movie but she'd received some pretty harsh comments on twitter including one of the KKK lynching a black woman. That is beyond excessive I don't care how much people feel that their favourite film is being bastardized.
She started half of the trouble (at least) and then whined and cried to Twitter's little mod police when her poow widdle feewings get huwt. Sorry, no, she did it to herself.

People say "Where's your compassion?" And I always say "I left it in the dictionary somewhere between crap and chlamydia; go look for it, I bet you'll find it."

Let's face facts here, Leslie Jones isn't employed for her looks or intelligence. She's a slapstick. A walking, talking 'angry black woman' self deprecating typecast. That's her schtick, and that's how she gets a paycheck. The fact that she was even cast in a "film" that sooo wants to be thought of as something that's highlighting a progressive movement is hilarious in of itself. On the topic of her Twitter/Racist comments, it's definitely not a case where the one who has claimed to being victimized is completely exempt from making racist tweets on her own, so I really don't have a whole lot of empathy for her, but going the half-wit route and engaging Jones on her race, and sending tweets featuring photos of her that's been ejaculated on, doesn't really do sh*t besides validate the pushed narrative that everyone who dislikes the film and the casting are racist bigots, who hate women, pick on the developmental disabled, children, and kick dogs.

Yeah, pass.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The attacks against Leslie Jones were disgusting. No justification for them.

Definitely engaging the trolls was a bad move on her part but she paid for it and then some with all the hate she got. Saying she deserved any of the brutal racism she got is akin to blaming a rape victim for dressing skanky.

If people want to hate the film, hate it. But hate it for the right reasons, before the release I brought up the racial aspect of how it seemed Jones was playing the stereotypical angry black woman. There's still no need to basically wave the confederate flag in her face.

The silver lining is I think a lot of people in the film industry learned a lesson from it; social media is still relatively new and so celebrities will hopefully learn the hard way what can happen when you engage negatively with fans. In the entertainment industry in general you don't insult or demean people who aren't interested in your product. I work in the hockey industry but it would be career suicide for those within to attempt to market our sport by bashing other sports or insulting people who don't like ours. The proper way to market something is to promote the benefits of it rather than say "you're crazy for not buying what we're selling"

Courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

Feig hasn't said whether he'll return. Stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon are said to be signed for two potential sequels, and initially they said they were game. But now? "Ghostbusters is on ice until further notice," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock. "I just can't fathom the creative talents behind it — Feig, McCarthy, Wiig, etc. — slogging out another one when the reception to the first one was so mediocre."

Sony disputes the amount of the potential loss, insisting that revenue streams from merchandising and such attractions as a new Ghostbusters exhibit at Madame Tussauds and a theme park ride in Dubai will help defray any deficit. The studio also notes that the number of people renting the 1984 film has soared over the summer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-heading-70m-loss-sequel-918515

I'd say that's game, set and match, old man.

I'll let Bond have the final word on the matter: