Is Batman v Superman another Batman Returns?

Started by johnnygobbs, Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 18:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 16 Feb 2016, 01:21 #20 Last Edit: Tue, 16 Feb 2016, 01:25 by Wayne49
I think it's pretty normal for executives to carry a degree of concern when so much rides on one film. But at the end of the day, it's going to come down to whether ticket buyers fill enough seats for a period of time to spin this off into the planned properties they want to make. Lots of people financing a film of this size, so there are allot of pockets to line before they assume more risk for the next film, let alone a whole slew of them.

Plus you have to remember this genre is quickly evolving, as are the public's tastes. Look at the insane success of Deadpool? I saw that this weekend and it's nearly my favorite movie of all time in this genre. It just hit every note perfectly while still delivering a story and a incredible degree of action that completely satisfied my palate for these kinds of movies. But it was also something I had never seen before. I envision Guardians II writers scrambling to do a rewrite. 

And while Avengers AOU was very successful, it definitely felt like a step backwards from the momentum that came from the first film. Winter Soldier was, in my eyes, a far superior film. And where I saw the first Avengers film three or four times in the theater, I only saw the sequel once and still haven't picked it up on Blu-ray yet. So the novelty of an ensemble cast of heroes is already a played out concept. Even the next Captain America film is going to have scores of heroes in it, so it kind of begs why even bother with another Avengers film at all?

So it's with all of these changes that BVS comes to the market with ideas that felt new three years ago. I know there is concern I might be selling some undercurrent of dislike towards this film. I'm truly not. When it comes to Batman, I have NEVER hated any film made with him. I like or love them all in varying degrees and make no apologies for it. But if there IS a bias I might carry into this film, it's my believe that it might take the character of Batman to save this film. We are seeing SO MUCH of him, it's becoming...well...suspect. The fact the final trailer showcases him more than anyone else really speaks to that suspicion.

In fact, if it ends up being mostly a Batman film, I might come out of this completely tickled and loving it. But if we've seen the majority of Batman's role in this movie through trailers, and the bigger part of the story is about society coming to grips with Superman in another Watchmen-style social lecture...well... this might be a long movie to grind through. When it comes to Snyder, I don't entirely trust him. As a director he either thrills me or bores me with stylistic overkill or pretentious metaphors best left to other projects.

I thought he messed up some key story moments with his version of Superman's origin and that really bothered me. Plus he even said he didn't care what the fans thought because he's not making this for them...? What an ego. So with Warner Brothers giving him full reign to do what he wants here, it feels like fertile ground for him to screw it up with his own "vision". The trailers show me allot of Batman, so I'm sold. Nothing more to say. But the rest of it? Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into an extended version of a video game. Give me lots of Batman and you likely have a happy sailor.

Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 07:46 #21 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 07:52 by Nycteris

(As for the thread's subject, don't know, but this article was an enjoyable read. Overall I enjoy what Mendelson writes about movies).

Nice comparison. Affleck looks huge in the suit. Meaty like TDK Returns Batman.

Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 08:13 #23 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 08:25 by Dagenspear
Quote from: Nycteris on Wed, 17 Feb  2016, 07:46

(As for the thread's subject, don't know, but this article was an enjoyable read. Overall I enjoy what Mendelson writes about movies).
That's kinda neat. While we're at it...

God bless you! God bless everyone!

A lot of people don't know that the grappling gun actually originated in the '89 film. Batman has always used a grappling hook but it was the '89 film where it was first used in a gun format.

Very cool pic of Affleck by the way.   8)

Yeah, it did originate to its true form in B89, but if you wanna get technical about it, Miller's Batman in TDKR used a rifle that shot out a huge spear that had a rope attached to it.