Batman & Robin review by Nostalgia Critic

Started by Azrael, Sat, 16 Feb 2013, 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 03:36
I don't need to watch some snarky, trendy, hyperactive commentator talk about how much he hates B&R. I'm comfortable with what I didn't like about it, but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit there were good things about it. I'm not interested in bandwagon hate, thanks.

Doug Walker is far from a "snarky, trendy, hyperactive commentator", he usually knows well what he's talking about and the B&R review was more like exaggeration for the sake of humor than bandwagon hate. It's supposed to be funny, not hateful. He's also a bit of a Burton fan and even though he once included Batman Returns in a "guilty pleasure" list, he's one of the few YT reviewers I have seen rating B'89 higher than any of the Nolan flicks. Him and James Rolfe.

Quote from: Azrael on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 10:45
Doug Walker is far from a "snarky, trendy, hyperactive commentator", he usually knows well what he's talking about and the B&R review was more like exaggeration for the sake of humor than bandwagon hate. It's supposed to be funny, not hateful. He's also a bit of a Burton fan and even though he once included Batman Returns in a "guilty pleasure" list, he's one of the few YT reviewers I have seen rating B'89 higher than any of the Nolan flicks. Him and James Rolfe.

That's great and all, but I'm just not a huge fan of the guy. His shtick gets on my nerves, regardless if he does like B89.

I do like AVGN, but only for his video game reviews. I don't pay any attention to his film reviews.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 11:31
That's great and all, but I'm just not a huge fan of the guy. His shtick gets on my nerves, regardless if he does like B89.

That's fair, a matter of opinion and taste, I can see how he (or any reviewer with their own brand of jokes) can get on one's nerves, but him being snarky/trendy etc. or doing hateful reviews is just not factual.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 11:31
I do like AVGN, but only for his video game reviews. I don't pay any attention to his film reviews.

The funny thing is that Rolfe is more of a film buff than a gamer (Mike Matei is the games guru) with a pretty big knowledge. Even if he started and became famous by doing funny reviews of awful retro games and that's how I first wathed him, I find his film videos even more enjoyable and informative.

Sun, 1 Oct 2017, 13:05 #13 Last Edit: Sun, 1 Oct 2017, 13:14 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: Azrael on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 12:53
That's fair, a matter of opinion and taste, I can see how he (or any reviewer with their own brand of jokes) can get on one's nerves, but him being snarky/trendy etc. or doing hateful reviews is just not factual.

You'll need to excuse me. Nowadays, I've become skeptical and cynical towards ALL video reviewers that I tend to lump them together because the majority of them make cheap shots to get attention. And even when I agree with them about something, I find their views to be shallow for most of the time. The viewers don't help matters either because a lot of them parrot the criticisms, whether they're justified or not. You may call me being unreasonable, but I've become fed up with all of these online critics.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm strictly talking about film. As somebody who has played their fair share of awful games in the past, I sympathise with Rolfe and the pain he goes through. :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Yeah, I understand the sentiment. But, even if you dislike his style, the NC is definitely not one of them.

As for Rolfe... Same. Yes, he was the voice of an entire generation who suffered through crap games with words like "Akklaim", "Ljn" or "Sony Imagesoft", on the box.

Quote from: Azrael on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 12:53
I find his film videos even more enjoyable and informative.

October wouldn't be October without some variation of Monster Madness. Though I do wish he'd go back to using actual movie clips instead of still images.

The Nostalgia Critic gets on my nerves. He's obnoxious, loud, rash, and jumps to quick (lazy) criticisms if gets him a laugh. Film discussion should be honest, pensive, the result of being absorbed by the film experience, not sarcastic with "too cool for school" condescension nor cheap and played for laughs. Unfortunately, film criticism is now saturated with class clowns and casuals who see film as a third tier hobby.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Mon,  2 Oct  2017, 14:48
The Nostalgia Critic gets on my nerves. He's obnoxious, loud, rash, and jumps to quick (lazy) criticisms if gets him a laugh. Film discussion should be honest, pensive, the result of being absorbed by the film experience, not sarcastic with "too cool for school" condescension nor cheap and played for laughs. Unfortunately, film criticism is now saturated with class clowns and casuals who see film as a third tier hobby.

^This right here.

Mon, 2 Oct 2017, 23:21 #18 Last Edit: Mon, 2 Oct 2017, 23:23 by Azrael
Well, there's a couple of people in a forum who post opinions as fact about something they don't like. That's (forum) life.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  2 Oct  2017, 12:14
October wouldn't be October without some variation of Monster Madness. Though I do wish he'd go back to using actual movie clips instead of still images.

Me too, but it's obvious why he has to do this.