Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorry my comments aren't going to be as detailed as the other folks. (mostly spoiler free, minor spoilers about the beginning of the film in the paragraph in red. )

I'm not a huge fan of the character, I've just never been drawn to her for the similar reasons why I'm not a huge fan of Superman. That being said I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The complaints about DC's films for the last 10 years or so were mainly centered around too much dialogue and no jokes or fun. I'm pleased to say that while you could still levy these complaints towards Wonder Woman are still there, they aren't nearly as bad as the Dark Knight rises or three previous DCEU films. I laughed multiple times which I couldn't say for Man of Steel. It reminded me as a hybrid of the first Captain America and thor movies. The bulk of it is spent during world war one. They do play the 'person out of their element' aspect quite well once Diana leaves Aasgard for Germany. I've been posting here a few times recently how we are lacking the true solo origin

I actually don't have many complaints. One interesting point worthy of discussion on whether or not this is a good or bad thing: you'd probably expect by now connections to the DCEU but there really weren't many. The final conversation between Diana and Bruce when we last saw them is continued near the beginning of this film but that's about it, only about 10-15 minutes of the run time is spent in the present with about one quarter of the film featuring Diana growing up and two thirds during the 1910's. Maybe the big shocker is that there's no credit scenes. Once you see the pair of W's on screen, you are free to go without missing anything further. Again I'm not saying this is a bad thing, the nice thing is that there is no prerequisite to see and understand this film. You'd be fine watching it without seeing any of the other DC films. Also you wont get the vibe that this film is setting up future films. It leaves us with the implication that Wonder Woman has more battles ahead but doesn't have any cliffhangers as to what is next for the character.

Chris Pine dismissed Marvel's Infinity War as an example why he chose to star in Wonder Woman during an interview the other day. He mentions it after 39 seconds into the video below.

Considering this attitude about superheroes fighting never-ending wars, that must explain why he'd rather star as Steve Trevor instead of Hal Jordan, as some people would've preferred. If he were going to star in a film based on a comic, it was never going to be an recurring role.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Ghostbusters: Answer the Fail - $229.1 million in its entire run.

Wonder Woman - $240 million in its first six days.

"B-but-b-but misogyny!"

I liked WW a lot. I still liked BvS and MOS more, but WW is still a great movie. Gal was great.

SS is the odd man out, for me.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  4 Jun  2017, 07:35
While I enjoyed Diana's journey into WWI, I couldn't help but feel the conclusion doesn't gel too well with her participation in BvS.
Nothing in WW contradicts BvS.

The film opened in the present day, and while I'm paraphrasing, she says all men not being good is a lesson she learned the hard way. The final scene of WonderGal jumping into action in full costume also takes place in the present day - after the events of BvS which reinvigorated her sense of heroism. In the WW1 sequences she says "fighting for mankind is less important than being a force for love", which leads me to believe she simply remained in the background right up until she fought Doomsday. If I were WB, I'd set the sequel in modern times as well.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  7 Jun  2017, 19:43

"B-but-b-but misogyny!"
Ha, exactly!
Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  7 Jun  2017, 23:44
I liked WW a lot. I still liked BvS and MOS more, but WW is still a great movie. Gal was great.

Yeah. MoS, BvS and WW are in another league. All three are top quality.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 11 Jun  2017, 03:19
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  4 Jun  2017, 07:35
While I enjoyed Diana's journey into WWI, I couldn't help but feel the conclusion doesn't gel too well with her participation in BvS.
Nothing in WW contradicts BvS.

The film opened in the present day, and while I'm paraphrasing, she says all men not being good is a lesson she learned the hard way. The final scene of WonderGal jumping into action in full costume also takes place in the present day - after the events of BvS which reinvigorated her sense of heroism. In the WW1 sequences she says "fighting for mankind is less important than being a force for love", which leads me to believe she simply remained in the background right up until she fought Doomsday. If I were WB, I'd set the sequel in modern times as well.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  7 Jun  2017, 19:43

"B-but-b-but misogyny!"
Ha, exactly!
Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  7 Jun  2017, 23:44

Yeah. MoS, BvS and WW are in another league. All three are top quality.

Great post Dark Knight. BvS takes place 100 years later than WW, I would have complained if the character acted as though the events of both films are taking place the same week escpecially given the character development Diana goes through in WW.

I think the criticisms levied at Suicide Squad and MOS are fair, BvS not so much, the reason I rank that film next to WW is it does finally get running on all cylinders for the last 45 minutes while I felt Suicide Squad never quite finds its footing while MOS's action was long, drawn out, and flawed. Not to mention I hated turning Superman into Batman.

The latest box office estimates are in, and it seems the weekend drop was only 44.6%. For reference, the previous DCEU films had the following drops on their second weekend:

MoS: 64.6%   
BvS: 69.1%
SS: 67.4%   

Those movies all had bigger opening weekends, but WW is showing stronger legs. The positive reviews and word of mouth are paying off. By time WW finishes its theatrical run, the cumulative worldwide gross of the DCEU should exceed $3 billion.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 11 Jun  2017, 12:01
I think the criticisms levied at Suicide Squad and MOS are fair
Suicide Squad should've been better. But it still offers a point of difference to the MCU with its concept.
Quote from: riddler on Sun, 11 Jun  2017, 12:01
MOS's action was long, drawn out, and flawed.
I think the idea Man of Steel was an action fest is a myth. We have the Smallville fight, which lasts a couple of minutes at most, and the Metropolis battle at the end, which while destructive, seems to get exaggerated. Those are the two main set pieces of the film, mixed in with a fair share of character development and plot building.

Not that a guy married to Gal Gadot likes to brag .....  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 03:08 #199 Last Edit: Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 03:16 by The Laughing Fish
Great photo. If anybody gets offended by that, they ought to grow up.

I'm noticed the critical reception for Wonder Woman compliments the movie for as a contrast to the "cynical" tone of the previous three DC films, and Diana is more "heroic" than the protagonists of the those movies.

As I mentioned before, I enjoyed Wonder Woman, but there is one thing that still annoys me about its critical acclaim. After all the fuss and outrage that Superman and Batman kills in Snyder's films (despite the fact that both heroes have killed many times in other movies in the past, which suddenly lots of people have conveniently forgotten), here comes Diana joining the war with the intention of killing Ares. And succeeds doing so, including causing the deaths of several Nazi soldiers along the way. And yet, the same people who complained about Superman and Batman killing people have not uttered a single word out of protest against Diana in this film.

Again, it shows great level of hypocrisy from these arrogant detractors, to the point that I find them to be absolutely contemptuous. I don't understand their logic either. They argue Batman and Superman taking lives makes them no better than their enemies...and yet, they cherish Wonder Woman who doesn't share these detractors' ideals either. It appears this doesn't matter to some people however, because all it takes for her to be hopeful in their eyes is "she smiles at people". Now, don't get me wrong, this is not a dig at the film. But the impression I get is as long as characters crack jokes, smile or say "I have one rule", people are suddenly very willing to forgive the hero killing people. These people seriously need to get over themselves and stop with the pretentious selective outrage. Either hold the same criteria fairly for all the films in the genre, or shut up.

If there is a continuous theme going on in the DCEU, it's sending the message that humanity is worth saving, no matter flawed it is. MOS started with Clark Kent unsure of his place in the world and needed to give humanity to prove itself, which he did by working together with the military to defeat Zod. In BvS, despite coming to terms with people's mixed - and sometimes hostile - reaction towards and dealing with a cynical Batman and conniving and evil Lex Luthor, Clark still loved the world too much to let it succumb to Doomsday's ruin. Which in turn, sets an example for Batman to become a better hero. Batman realising the error of his own ways by nearly becoming corrupt because of his inability to cope with tragedy. Wonder Woman defies Ares as Steve Trevor's sacrifice restores her confidence that there is still light and good in people. Even Suicide Squad, a film which I consider to be the worst of the DCEU so far, still has villains getting to together in the end to save the day to gain some sort of redemption. Proving no matter how far they sunk in life, they too are capable of great things.

Hence, it goes to show that the outrage towards the DCEU's treatment of the characters as "cynical" is terribly misunderstood and overblown.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei