Our ranking of Batman films

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 14:28

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 14:28 Last Edit: Tue, 8 Dec 2015, 13:34 by Edd Grayson
I intend for us to say how we rank all the Batman films while also being subjective about our opinions. I for one see good and bad in all films. The quantity of that and the quality of the good is what I use to rank. What the movies could or should have been is another thing to discuss. I am open to this being also a debate thread if you all wish, but it's not my intention.

I'll start, from worst to best:

UPDATE: DEC 2015

The Dark Knight Rises
Batman & Robin
The Dark Knight
Batman Forever
Batman (1966)   
Batman Begins   
Batman Returns
Batman (1989)   

I'm surprised you consider TKR to be so bad, Edd.

Anyway, this is my ranking of the theatrically-released Batman films (from best to worst):

1. Batman (1989)
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman Begins
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman: The Movie (1966)
9. Batman & Robin

If Batman: MOTP was live-action  I'd probably rate it highest.  In terms of storytelling, design and faithfulness to the characters it's pretty much perfect.

And although I love Batman Returns it's also quite a muddled and flawed film.  It's more entertaining than Nolan's films, give or take The Dark Knight, but its flaws are bigger.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 15:36 #2 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 17:36 by Edd Grayson
 I find it TDK Rises the worst in the end.

I don't rank animated with live-action Batman, but I respect your views on MotP and I quite like it. And I am also surprised Batman Returns is only 5th in your ranking.  :)

From best to worst:

1. Batman Returns
2. Batman '89
3. Batman Forever
4. Batman & Robin
5. Batman movie from the 1960's
6. The Dark Knight
7. Batman Begins

I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises or Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I suspect I'd like the latter though.

I'd put Batman: The Animated Series in between Batman '89 and Batman Forever on my list.

I know some of my list is probably surprising but that's honestly how I feel.

I can see why you'd not like the Nolan films in your list, JokerMeThis, so no surprise for me, really. Even if I think Batman Forever and Batman & Robin aren't great, they have things going for them, especially depending on tastes.

I'm shocked that you haven't watched Mask of the Phantasm yet, JMT. You'll love it.

I remember we had a thread like this posted two years ago, but I'm happy to list down my ranking of the all live action films to date again. I've made some minor changes since then i.e. I had tied the last ranking between three films the last time, so I thought I'd be more accurate.

• Batman 89
  • Batman Returns
  • Batman 66
  • Batman Forever
  • Batman & Robin
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Batman Begins
  • The Dark Knight

And while I'm at it, I'd give my top 5 ranking of animated Batman films.

• Batman: Under the Red Hood
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part I
  • Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  • Batman: Year One
  • Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thank you, TLF. I need to watch "Under the Red Hood" ASAP. I'm already familiar with the comics' story.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Fri, 13 Nov  2015, 22:42

I haven't seen Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You need to correct this NOW. As in TODAY.

Are we ranking them by how much we like them or how good they are as a movie?

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 14 Nov  2015, 18:00

Are we ranking them by how much we like them or how good they are as a movie?

How much we like them. That was my intention for the thread and how I did my ranking.