Crazy fan theory about TDK's Joker

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 3 Sep 2015, 14:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 11:43 #40 Last Edit: Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 01:00 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 18 Jun  2017, 01:05I can't really progress this debate without me stepping on religious toes here, so I'll try and be careful. From my perspective, I find religion to be an easy answer to every question. I also find people act with a moral superiority - with strength in numbers, telling people how to live and what to do. They're right and everyone else is wrong because an ancient book says so. Everyone knows right from wrong with or without the Bible.
People think they do, but the world proves that statement wrong. Belief isn't easy. The choice to believe is the choice to fight against everything the world wants you to think and do and what you yourself want to think and do. It's hard, not easy. But carries a peaceful understanding. My life was a lot easier, less filled with thought or considerations for my actions and consequences of them. The good Lord saved me from that. It's funny, I sometimes miss the feeling of irresponsibility, but I would never want to be what I was then ever again.
QuoteThat's rubbish. Superman can be good on his own, and he is good on his own. Nobody has the monopoly on being good. Helping a little old lady across the road is good. Robbing a store at gunpoint is bad. It's not rocket science. The Bible is real to you because you believe it, and that's cool. But I'm not a believer in the Bible. And then we get the whole 'oh, well, Jesus still believes in you even though you don't.' Which I think is also ridiculous. I'm of the view he didn't exist at all. Applying a personal belief to everyone as fact, as something all need to follow, is the problem I have.
By the structure of the logic you provide, that no one has the monopoly on good, then whose to say, by your thought process, that those things are good or bad? If there's no monopoly, by your logic, then who is anybody to say either of those things? Superman isn't good on his own. But Jesus does have the monopoly. Belief is a choice, not an emotion and it's based off of me rejecting my desires to sin.
QuoteWhat happens if he makes a statement and people keep looking at him as a 'false idol'? Does he retire? Keep making daily statements?
If people don't accept it, then, though I'm not sure myself, it would seem that he has fulfilled his responsibility to right the ship. People's choices and sins are their own in that capacity, as I understand it. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!