If keaton did Batman Forever....

Started by Grissom, Tue, 1 Sep 2015, 01:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: OutRiddled on Fri, 20 May  2016, 08:38
Keaton would not have fit in Schumacher's world.  And Burton's ideas for the 3rd movie sound weird to me.  Although Rene Russo would have made a good Dr Chase Meridian.  Robin Williams as The Riddler?  Not sure about that casting.  Same with Marlon Wayans as Robin.  Don't know about Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face, either (although I like his Harvey Dent).  I am glad we got the movie we did.

You know, I can't help but feel Robin Williams would've been a much better fit as the Prankster, the Superman villain.

Considering that Williams and Christopher Reeve were close friends in real life, it makes me wish they starred together in a sequel. Maybe in another universe.   :(
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Keaton went on record before saying he had no interest in Schumacher's BF, but this is the first time I've heard him clearly expressing his distaste for the film.

The third and fourth installment, Batman & Robin, became some of the character's weakest portrayal which eventually killed the franchise. In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Keaton chatted about not doing the third one because of the script. When talking about it, Keaton admitted when he realized that this film was problematic.

"It sucked! The script never was good. I couldn't understand why he wanted to do what he wanted to do. I hung on for many meetings. I knew it was in trouble when he [Joel Schumacher] said, 'Why does everything have to be so dark?'

Source: http://heroichollywood.com/michael-keaton-the-moment-batman-forever-suck/

Let's see if the derivative looking Spider-Man: Homecoming is a good choice for him to star. Does anybody feel his role as the Vulture will be just as forgettable as most MCU villains?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  4 Jan  2017, 00:06
Keaton went on record before saying he had no interest in Schumacher's BF, but this is the first time I've heard him clearly expressing his distaste for the film.

The third and fourth installment, Batman & Robin, became some of the character's weakest portrayal which eventually killed the franchise. In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Keaton chatted about not doing the third one because of the script. When talking about it, Keaton admitted when he realized that this film was problematic.

"It sucked! The script never was good. I couldn't understand why he wanted to do what he wanted to do. I hung on for many meetings. I knew it was in trouble when he [Joel Schumacher] said, 'Why does everything have to be so dark?'

Source: http://heroichollywood.com/michael-keaton-the-moment-batman-forever-suck/

Let's see if the derivative looking Spider-Man: Homecoming is a good choice for him to star. Does anybody feel his role as the Vulture will be just as forgettable as most MCU villains?
The MCU has had a fantastic record so far.  Maybe Keaton is less concerned about how well his character will be perceived than he is in being part of a great film (bear in mind that despite the suggestion that he'd been overshadowed by Jack's Joker in Batman '89, Keaton was still happy to return to Batman Returns alongside his pal, Tim Burton, and even asked that his character be given fewer lines).  Plus, Keaton initially pulled out of Spider-Man: Homecoming, so it's possible that his misgivings concerned his character and thus likely that the filmmakers have subsequently boosted his character.

Also, he's right; compared to Burton's brilliant contributions to the Batman franchise, Batman Forever, and its sequel, do suck.  Kudos to Keaton for recognising that. :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wed, 4 Jan 2017, 09:50 #23 Last Edit: Wed, 4 Jan 2017, 10:13 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  4 Jan  2017, 00:06
I enjoy BF and B&R for what they are, however I obviously realise Burton and Keaton not coming back for a third outing represents a missed opportunity. But I made peace with that long ago. And in some ways, just being two films gives the Burtonverse added mystique. Two films is enough to create an era, but it also keeps you wanting more. It feels incomplete or freeze framed in some way. And I kinda like that 'what if'.

I think Keaton is a bit biased in that he's very close to that iteration of the character. I suspect he's not really able to take a more holistic view of the matter and see Batman as an organic, ever-changing character. I honestly don't think a lot of contributors necessarily understand their role. Comic creators may. Probably do, in fact.

But in most cases, I get the idea the Bill Doziers, Tim Burtons, Joel Schumachers, Chris Nolans, Zack Snyders and all the rest are "putting their stamp" on the character without being fully cognizant of the fact that their efforts, while important, are really a small part of a much larger tapestry.

On that basis, I can understand why Keaton thinks the way he does. But I'm not sure at all that he understands the context BF works within.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  4 Jan  2017, 12:01
On that basis, I can understand why Keaton thinks the way he does. But I'm not sure at all that he understands the context BF works within.

I get the impression Keaton is only scathing of Schumacher's treatment, not for the idea that Batman finally makes peace with his parents and banishing his guilt for good. Maybe Keaton already knew how Schumacher was going to execute ideas, and it didn't entice him.

Who knows, if another director who was less flamboyant than Schumacher but still wanted a lighter tone, would Keaton have been encouraged to stay on? That's a question I don't expect anyone to answer.

No Burton basically meant no Keaton. That's the answer for me.

Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 02:48 #27 Last Edit: Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 04:54 by eledoremassis02
Does anyone know when keaton dropped? I have the second draft watch March 94 and it was the same but different.

Including Batman sleeping with chase. Penguin and Catwoman had a camero as well, they were mental images (to remind him of his failures) when Batman climbs up riddlers layer

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Fri, 24 Feb  2017, 02:48
Including Batman sleeping with chase and Penguin and Catwoman

You gotta use some punctuation, dude. Now I've got the mental image of a really weird four way!  :P

I am actually glad that Burton dropped out of Batman 3.  Not sure if I like some of his ideas.  Marlon Wayans for Robin, for example.  Robin Williams was also a poor choice for Riddler.  I think at that point you needed a breath of fresh air for the franchise.  I actually think Joel Schumacher was the best choice at the time to do a modern but camp superhero movie.  Campiness is not all bad, as the 60s Batman tv show was high camp but was massively popular back in the day.  And let's face it, Batman is no stranger to camp at all, just read the comics from the 40s-60s - way sillier than anything in Batman and Robin.