"Lock.....Chair"

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Thu, 17 Dec 2015, 02:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Dec  2015, 06:04His Batman gets to kick ass and has cool toys. How he glides down to the neon gang and they all scatter is a great moment in my eyes. This is a guy who drives up buildings and jumps off buildings without hesitation. Some impressive action is to be had in BF.
Indeed. I like Kilmer as Bruce. His performance gets picked on a lot but he seemed relaxed and easy-going as Bruce. You could believe he was a semi-celebrity without him having to go to kind of ridiculous "playboy" extremes for him to prove it. Quite enjoyable.

Yep. I prefer my Bruce to be respected amongst the Gotham public, and Kilmer's Bruce has that. Keaton's Bruce goes under the radar but you could ague he's not considered a jerk. Just a mysterious loner.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 29 Dec  2015, 06:23Yep. I prefer my Bruce to be respected amongst the Gotham public, and Kilmer's Bruce has that. Keaton's Bruce goes under the radar but you could ague he's not considered a jerk. Just a mysterious loner.
Quite so. The Denny O'Neil school of Batman has it that Bruce should be thought of as a waste of space along the same lines as a Kim Cardassian or a Paris Hilton or some other oxygen-thief. I like more of a Lamont Cranston type of approach where he's a bit of a socialite, he's known in social circles, his name is famous in the same magnitude as "Kennedy" in the real world. It's aggravating because there's not really an analog for him in the real world. I'd name a big billionaire but they're all partisan caricatures.

Whatever it is I'm failing to describe, Kilmer's Bruce Wayne was that.

As you may know, I regard the Burton/Schumacher movies as a complete storyline... and Bruce's public image is one of the few holes in that argument as Batman is visibly losing it in Batman Forever so you'd think Bruce should be more of a shut-in than ever... except he's not, he's famous enough to appear on magazine covers and make frequent appearances in the office. So hmm.

But I never said it was perfect!

You know, I could be way off, but perhaps Bill Gates fits the real world mould of Kilmer's Bruce? Rich, respected and gives back to the community. But thought of as a celebrity in the same breath.

Why not? I can see where you're coming from with the comparison. Bruce could be Gotham's own Bill Gates.