The first full trailer has been released!

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 11 Jul 2015, 21:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 17 Jul  2015, 14:49
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 12 Jul  2015, 19:41
I didn't care for what I saw of Lex Luthor either, looks wise or in terms of what we saw of Eisenberg's kooky, creepy performance (where's the whole 'Brad Pitt mixed with Richard Branson' vibe Snyder promised us?

I know, right?!?

Loved the trailer, but yeah, if there is a negative, it's Eisenberg as Lex. Which is about what I expected, or possibly, even WORSE than I expected to be perfectly honest here. Really hate to make such a judgement call on the little bit I've seen of his interpretation, but jeez, it's anything but positive for me.

Everything else looked aces to me.

Was kinda surprised to see the couple of less-than-subtle references to the Joker so early, but I can't say that I wasn't digging that stuff either! Even Gadot's Wonder Woman, from the very brief glimpses we see, looked serviceable. Which I'm sure will be the case, as Snyder will give her moments to shine, just like the beautiful Antje Traue had with Faora in Man of Steel.

Yeah, I think there's a good chance that Jesse Eisenberg could be the weakest link in this movie. But who knows, he could start off as a cocky, geeky villain who later on becomes more depraved over the course of the film/series.

Apparently, Grant Morrison has issues with this movie version of Wonder Woman.

Quote"I sat down and I thought, 'I don't want to do this warrior woman thing,'" said Morrison of Wonder Woman: Earth One. "I can understand why they're doing it, I get all that, but that's not what [Wonder Woman creator] William Marston wanted, that's not what he wanted at all! His original concept for Wonder Woman was an answer to comics that he thought were filled with images of blood-curdling masculinity, and you see the latest shots of Gal Gadot in the costume, and it's all sword and shield and her snarling at the camera."

http://www.newsarama.com/25265-grant-morrison-criticizes-batman-v-superman-s-wonder-woman-raimi-reacts-to-spider-man-reboot-more.html

I don't know how he can judge her characterization so quickly when all we can see are glimpses of her in the trailer.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Unrelated to BvS:

Raimi also said, of Marc Webb's Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2, "I saw them both. They were great."

I agree with him on this. Funny that most of his "fans" don't  ;D

Zack Snyder says that Batman v Superman is kind of a sequel to Man of Steel, which goes without saying. I still don't understand why Henry Cavill would say otherwise...unless it's because Batman has a bit more screen-time?  :-\

Source: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/37030/zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-is-man-of-steel-2
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I could be wrong, but I think it's a sequel to MoS as much as "The Avengers" was a sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" or "Thor"

There's a number of things going on in trailers one and two that tell me Snyder is once again creating a score of plot points that are most likely going to get glossed over because of the restraints of film time. I see Batman's origin (which can be a dream sequence for all I care); I see Lex Luthor; I see the makings of Doomsday; I see Wonder Woman; I see the remnants of what was once Robin; I see a story between Clark and his mom, Clark & Lois, and somewhere in there you have Batman feeling he needs to take on Superman. You have Wayne coming back to his version of Wayne Manor that looks more like old ruins than a structure to live in.

So there are a blue million stories going on here that either need tremendous backstory to make them relevant or we're going to get just a bonanza of empty plot points that require another movie to make sense of them. Not a big fan of movies that can not be self-contained at least in the story they are attempting to unfold. Bite off only what you can chew. I feel this is Warner Bros trying to play catch up with Marvel and the Avengers. Better to tell a full story right than to just rush a bunch of characters together to look like something that has already come and gone.

I'll definitely be seeing this opening weekend, but my gut tells me it's juggling too many plot points along with a plethora of tonality issues with all of these characters and their story responsibilities. I also feel like allot of the action sequences are starting to look like game graphics. Hopefully that will improve in post production. I remain hopeful but cautiously so.

While promoting his new film Our Brand in Crisis, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice actor Scoot McNairy was asked by WeGotThisCovered what fans should expect from the film. McNairy wouldn't say much, but he did say that this film about aliens and gods would be grounded in reality.

"This is the superhero film that is more grounded in reality than any of the other ones," McNairy said. "It's a comic book movie, yes, but it's very, very grounded."

Source: http://comicbook.com/2015/10/21/batman-v-superman-is-grounded-in-reality-according-to-scoot-mcna/

I never bought into that whole "grounded in reality" nonsense. Apart from the whole world's reaction to Superman's presence following events in MOS, I really don't see anything realistic from what I've seen in BvS so far.

Meanwhile, there are rumours (and I stress, rumours) concerning the film's enormous budget.

QuoteAccording to Latino-Review, the budget of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a whopping $410 million. If this is true, it will be the most expensive movie ever made, beating Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End's $341 million by some margin. The site also claims that the estimated budget for Justice League (presumably both parts) will be $500 million.

While it may seem like an incredible amount of money, it could be very possible given that Marvel have reportedly set aside $1 billion to make both parts of Avengers: Infinity War.

Source: http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/10/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-has-a-reported-budget-of-410-million-justice-league-to-cost-500-million.html

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 25 Oct  2015, 05:01
I never bought into that whole "grounded in reality" nonsense. Apart from the whole world's reaction to Superman's presence following events in MOS, I really don't see anything realistic from what I've seen in BvS so far.
I don't think it's nonsense when viewed in the right context - how the real world would 'realistically' react to superpowered beings if they happened to exist.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 25 Oct  2015, 06:05
I don't think it's nonsense when viewed in the right context - how the real world would 'realistically' react to superpowered beings if they happened to exist.

I do agree with that. It's that I'm annoyed that people look for what they deem realistic for the wrong things. Usually  they're the ones who are against having Batman getting together with other superpowered heroes because "it's not realistic" and "he's not a team player". Basically, they're the ones who are totally against this movie being made to begin with.

Not only is the "not a team player" excuse completely untrue judging by the sidekicks he has, he is a member of the Justice League. I think people often get confuse with preferring Batman to work alone in comics as opposed to him not having partnerships at all.

True. Batman is a team player, but he's always striving for a sense of independence. If there's a bunch of superhumans forming a crime fighting group, you bet he's going to be involved. Not just to assist, but to keep his eye on them. To make sure it's all running above board and to his liking.

Batman is not a perpetual lone wolf. Maybe some forget all the years in which he had Robin as a partner, for the most clear example.