Dramatic and meaningful quotes

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, they can still be found here.

Batman: Vengeance isn't true power. Anyone can take a life. Giving life is true power, the power you once had.

Robin, to Batman: You know, in the circus, the Flying Graysons were a team. We had to trust each person to do their jobs. That's what being partners is all about. Sometimes, counting on someone else is the only way you win.

Alfred Pennyworth: Despite all your talents, you are still a novice in the ways of family. Master Dick follows the same star as you but gets there by his own course. You must learn to trust him, for that is the nature of family.

Bruce Wayne: I trust you, Alfred.

Alfred Pennyworth: But I shan't be here forever.

Now, if only they decided which way to go and not try to make a campy movie with serious undertones...

Alfred: "There is no defeat in death Master Bruce. Victory comes in defending what we know is right, while we still live."

Another good one...

Bruce: "Not all heroes wear masks."

For all the bad everyone piles on over and over and over and over, there's a lot of good stuff still (unless you expect dark and brooding every single time which is silly because the character hasn't always been dark and brooding). I loved the moments between Bruce and Alfred, and even Freeze's recollections of Nora were very touching.

Yes, but too many ice puns is what people really hated, even if I can't say the same, I like some of them  ;D

And I agree about Nora, even as a pre-teen I felt really sad for her condition and for Victor.

Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 22:37 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 23:13 by Wayne49
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 11 Nov  2015, 18:50
For all the bad everyone piles on over and over and over and over, there's a lot of good stuff still (unless you expect dark and brooding every single time which is silly because the character hasn't always been dark and brooding). I loved the moments between Bruce and Alfred, and even Freeze's recollections of Nora were very touching.

I agree as well. It's nice to be able to watch a movie about Batman that takes you on a positive high, but also allows you to care for the characters and leave feeling like you had a great time. There is so much... what's the word... "theater" in Batman's appearance that too much brooding really comes off as unintended camp in my eyes. Because no matter what context you put to the circumstances that gets a character in a costume like this, you ultimately are suspending your disbelief to accept it under any terms of rationality.

So I believe the more directors try to "validate" it or make it feel edgy, the more those projects walk a fine line in taking themselves too serious. Sometimes the best stories are the ones that are the most honest with the material. I think Schumacher was incredibly honest with the concept and didn't shy from the nuisances that would inevitably find themselves in a world like this where people think it's normal to have a masked vigilante bouncing about in a show car.

So it's nice when the director can just embrace it for all it can be and create a ride that is fun to watch, and relaxing to experience. The fact he can take the time to inject some meaningful quotes and heartwarming moments only underscores the relevance to the treatment he applied. Costume details, ice puns, and otherwise normal feats of heroism that one should expect in these settings seems like allot of unmerited grousing to me. How "offended" should anyone be over a Batman movie? That to me is where the oddity truly begins.

I've posted praise about this scene before, but here we go again:

BRUCE:
"You once said to me that being part of a team means trusting your partner.
That sometimes counting on someone else is the only way to win. 
Do you remember?
You weren't just talking about being partners.   
You were talking about being a family.   
Well, part of our family is dying.
I'm not going to lose everyone I've ever loved. 
So I'm asking you now, friend, partner, brother - will you trust me?"

It's a great, heartfelt moment for Clooney, and I really like the atmosphere it has. They're in the cave, which looks lovely during this sequence. Clooney is playing it straight - appealing to his friend. The batsuit is off. This is nearly the last straw for them as crime fighters. Several of the film's themes culminate into this one speech. Visually and thematically, I think Schumacher nailed it. Possibly my favourite scene in the film.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 11 Nov  2015, 13:51Now, if only they decided which way to go and not try to make a campy movie with serious undertones...
Why? Tons of movies have those serious undertones but apparently the fun one inspired you to create a thread with all the memorable, inspirational quotes taken from it.

After Burton and certainly after Nolan, I've got a lot of fondness for Schumacher's unapologetically fun Batman films.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 30 Jul  2016, 11:37
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 11 Nov  2015, 13:51Now, if only they decided which way to go and not try to make a campy movie with serious undertones...
Why? Tons of movies have those serious undertones but apparently the fun one inspired you to create a thread with all the memorable, inspirational quotes taken from it.

After Burton and certainly after Nolan, I've got a lot of fondness for Schumacher's unapologetically fun Batman films.

Well said. Add Snyder to that growing list of directors who think you need to make Batman more criminal than hero and it's only the costume that distinguishes the heroes from the villains.