Ok, let's get real for a sec

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 4 May 2015, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 4 May 2015, 10:20 Last Edit: Mon, 4 May 2015, 10:22 by Catwoman
Were the nipples being on the costumes REALLY that horrific? I mean come on, is it REALLY that bad that the costumes' breast plates looked like the chest of the most perfectly sculpted men imaginable (and at last check you boys have nipples too)? Is it REALLY so god awful that everything Joel might have done ok or even well is negated cause he put nipples on Batman and Robin's suits?

It's been 18 freaking years, maybe it's time to step back and take a look at the costumes again and ask if it's REALLY as horrible as it has been made out to be. Was it the best idea? Probably not. Is it the worst abomination ever? Absolutely not. And I know that's like only one of a million complaints people have about B&R but come the freaking hell on.

By the way I'm not like singling out anyone here or trying to group you all together, lol. I'm just ranting in general.

The nipples look absurd and were unnecessary. Although they weren't that noticeable in Forever. And the fact that the body close-up shots of the heroes suiting up were very inappropriate. I realize that I might come across as hypocritical because of the sexual subtext in Returns, but I thought the way Schumacher handled these scenes were blatantly sexualised for a movie that was also marketed to kids.

But I'll give Schumacher some credit: at least he never made a movie where Batman gets people killed for no reason other than conveniently adopting an already broken moral code and take the blame for crimes he didn't commit.  ;)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'll give you the zoom ins on the suiting up. The ass shots especially. It was like something designed to get cheap laughs (it worked with me but that's beside the point lol) and kind of inappropriate.

What's so absurd about them, though? What if the suit Michael wore had them and they were there from the beginning? Would they have been so bad then?

You're lucky Michael had a sculpted muscle torso to begin with. They only went with that when they were FORCED to.

I didn't think much of the nipples until I saw everyone laughing about it on the internet. Yeah, they're not this movie's biggest flaw...

Quote from: Furstmobile on Mon,  4 May  2015, 12:19
You're lucky Michael had a sculpted muscle torso to begin with. They only went with that when they were FORCED to.

Why am I lucky? lol

The nipples are absurd, yes.

But you know what? I never f*cking noticed them until I saw the internet bitching. So I'm not bothered by them. The film doesn't draw attention to them, so why should we care?
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Yeah, but me in the crowd that really didn't notice until the internet blew it up. I mean, I noticed before, I just didn't consider it a big deal.

Schumacher based the decision off of Greek sculptures. Honestly, there's no functional purpose to sculpted abs and pecs, but it just looks cool. It's simply a design decision. And if we're comparing the changes made to the suit made by Schumacher versus Nolan, I have no shame in admitting that I think Schumacher still hits closer to the mark.

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue,  5 May  2015, 22:09

Schumacher based the decision off of Greek sculptures. Honestly, there's no functional purpose to sculpted abs and pecs, but it just looks cool. It's simply a design decision. And if we're comparing the changes made to the suit made by Schumacher versus Nolan, I have no shame in admitting that I think Schumacher still hits closer to the mark.

This