Prince's Purple Party Mix

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Fri, 1 May 2015, 02:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Prince. The man has many, many songs. Unreleased even and otherwise. And then there is the countless mixes and b-sides.

Behold, the Batman b-side/remix of "Partyman" that I guess is also the track that "officially" makes all of the brilliant Prince songs of his then past such as "Sexy Dancer", "I Wanna Be Your Lover", "Head", "Housequake", "Raspberry Beret", "Erotic City", "Kiss", "Alphabet St" and "U Got The Look" (spot anything else?) officially part of the Batman soundtrack too! Thought this was very cool to discover. New lyrics included here also for "Partyman" itself.

Towards the end of the track, in character as the Joker, he giggles "Tune in next...". Sounds to me like a quote of the famous "Desmond Doomsday" (William Dozier) death trap narration from the cliffhangers of the Batman TV show.

It was commonly believed Nicholson's Joker truly was a Prince fan in the universe of the movie. With Jack's vocals once again opening the track, the rumors are true at last! (Lawrence must have been busy editing that day? lol). 

Okay then you can add "Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic" to that list above too! It makes a surprise appearance on this entirely different remix of "Batdance". The actual song wasn't released or included on a standard Prince album for another 10 years or so I believe at the time of this Batman remix.

In this remix you get a much more prominent rendition of Prince's version of the TV Batman theme. It's practically more that than it is a remix of "Batdance" actually. Nicholson's line "Ever dance with the devil?" is tossed in which feels to me as much a homage to a very similar sounding Michael Jackson collaboration with Vincent Price (another Batman veteran of course) on "Thriller".