Rewatchability

Started by Grissom, Thu, 26 Mar 2015, 01:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 01:08
Did TDK Rises handle this coherently? Maybe not. But I'm sure the above was the intention.

And that's the problem. The filmmakers can claim to have all the best intentions in the world, but it counts for nothing if their ideas are not executed properly on screen.

With the exception of Blake, not once do any of the main characters in these movies ever learn from their mistakes (let alone even admitting they were wrong), and the messages they preach do get undermined. Alfred says the truth should have its day when he finally confesses to Bruce about Rachel, but then the film ends with Bruce faking his death to run away with another woman. Great, more unnecessary lies! The fact that Bruce doesn't even reconcile with Alfred except for that stupid wink in the end doesn't help matters either.

Blake dismisses Gordon's justification for covering up Dent's crimes, but after quitting the police force in disgust in the end, he changes his mind and sympathizes with Gordon's decision, even agreeing that he was right about the system being flawed. So telling a damaging lie that only causes more problems in the long run is actually okay after all?

Of course let's not forget: Bruce was hoping that Batman's symbolism can inspire Gotham to the point he's not needed anymore...and yet, this film's ending heavily implies Blake will become the next Batman.

Although Blake is the only one I came close to caring about, I just don't care for any of the other characters. I'd be much kinder to this trilogy if the filmmakers had cut down on the convoluted writing and consistently explore these purported themes instead. Otherwise, the whole thing feels like lip service and a waste of time. Just because a story is convoluted doesn't mean it's philosophically deep, intelligent or complex.

I really hope the upcoming DC movies avoid making these same mistakes.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Bear in mind the following is me playing the part of a TDK Rises apologist trying to salvage something from the film.  ;)

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 02:15
Of course let's not forget: Bruce was hoping that Batman's symbolism can inspire Gotham to the point he's not needed anymore...and yet, this film's ending heavily implies Blake will become the next Batman.
In BB Batman has the idea to inspire people with an everlasting symbol. In TDK he's trying to pass the mantle off to Dent and retire. Dent goes nuts, and as a result in TDK Rises, it seems Bruce has given up on heroes with faces. "If you're working alone, wear a mask," he tells Blake. I guess Batman did become a symbol with the statue being unveiled to the public at the end of Rises. And whatever Blake decides to do, even though he'd last one night IMO, is just an added bonus. The Nolan Batman always had an intention to retire and hand over to someone (Blake wouldn't have been my choice, but whatever), so that was fulfilled by Nolan.
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 02:15
Alfred says the truth should have its day when he finally confesses to Bruce about Rachel, but then the film ends with Bruce faking his death to run away with another woman. Great, more unnecessary lies! The fact that Bruce doesn't even reconcile with Alfred except for that stupid wink in the end doesn't help matters either.
This is true. I assume Nolan wanted to 'bring it full circle' to BB where he is also presumed dead by the greater populace.  It can muddle the themes the film established in TDKR, however I guess it's not a lie that really has consequences ala the Dent revelation. Bruce gets what he wants - to retire, and Gotham gets a new orphanage. They lied about Dent's true nature in TDK, but Bruce's will and testament left the city with a positive lasting memory, and one that was true, even if he's lied about his death.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 14 Aug  2015, 11:11
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 14 Aug  2015, 01:44
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 13 Aug  2015, 10:28Well, calling the action scenes in BB "innovative" is putting it way too nicely for my liking.  :-\ I thought other than the sword battle between Bruce and the fake Ra's while the temple was burning down, the fight scenes were a complete  disaster. Without a doubt, the most poorly directed that I've ever seen in a big budget Hollywood blockbuster.
True but this was all mostly new stuff for a Batman film. Nolan expanded the visual language of Batman cinema. Good or bad, he brought new and more modern ideas to the table.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 13 Aug  2015, 10:28Now I know I've criticised the action in the sequels for not being very well choreographed, but at least you can tell who is getting hit by whom.
In fairness, what I think Nolan was going for in BB was a sort of visual collage where we "feel" the impact of the punches and whatnot... without necessarily getting a literal beginning, middle and end-style presentation of the fights. We're free to debate how well he accomplished the task and how good an idea that really was anyway but I can't help thinking that's what he was aiming for.

And apparently part of that was logistics. The Batman costume kept falling apart during those action scenes so Nolan decided to cut around the action rather than graphically show it.

From what I understand, we were supposed to watch the murky fight scenes as if we could see from the crooks' point of view as they have no idea what hit them, and neither should we. Be though as it may, that's still no excuse for how incoherent and incompetent the action turned out. I might have accepted that effect if it was used only once during Batman's first appearance at the docks, but not for every single action scene involving him. It undermines the whole premise that he's a martial artist, and makes every battle extremely underwhelming and anticlimactic, i.e. the League and Ra's. When I watch an action movie, I want to tell what's going on. Relying on sound effects as a gimmick isn't going to cut it.

That's the first time I've heard about the suit falling apart. It's puzzling because the Batsuits in the Burton/Schumacher series only had  movement issues, and yet, the fight scenes in those films were far better executed than anything in this trilogy. The short alley fight between Batman and the Joker's ninja swordsman alone is better than what we saw here. Nolan really should've hired a second unit director for this sort of expertise.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 14 Aug  2015, 01:44
I'm not arguing that the movie is the greatest thing to ever happen to Batman. You all know me better than that. But (A) it's a lot more fun than the sequels and (B) it was new and powerful vision of Batman at a time when he really needed it. It's nowhere remotely close to definitive for me (and I'm starting to think "definitive" is an impossible thing for Batman in any medium to ever reach) but it hasn't aged as terribly as I originally expected. It's hardly timeless but I suspect TDKRises and especially TDK will be a lot harder to watch in the coming years.

In terms of fun: eye of the beholder I suppose. I reckon Tom Hardy's Bane with his pompous demeanor and laughable story in TDKR is more watchable than constantly being explained why Bruce needs to overcome his fear of bats from beginning to end. But having said that, I kinda agree with you in hindsight that the BB's story is better than the sequels. It's just that I also think BB is the most poorly directed out of all three.

In terms of doing something "new"? In my opinion, these films benefit from the enormous backlash surrounding Joel Schumacher. I really do believe that people's expectations in the franchise got so incredibly low following Batman & Robin that it got to the point that nearly everybody was desperate to embrace a new movie that took itself more seriously, and willingly ignore the most obvious flaws. Batman being arguably the most popular superhero in pop culture for decades is another factor to consider. Whereas for instance, and as much as it annoys me to say it, Superman seems to be looked down upon in comparison, and the films and comics in that franchise tends to be scrutinized a lot more. And in some cases, they get unfairly criticised for faults that some Batman media are just as guilty for having.

It's shame really. The Schumacher films definitely have their own faults, but unlike the Nolan films, I thought BF and B&R have some admirable plot points. It's too bad those positives get overlooked. It makes me wonder if the overacting was toned down a bit, the humour was better written and if the films had no erotic costumes, would they have gotten a much better reception? Because there are great movies hidden within those two. In my opinion anyway.
I like both Schumacher and Nolan's films.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 02:15And that's the problem. The filmmakers can claim to have all the best intentions in the world, but it counts for nothing if their ideas are not executed properly on screen.

With the exception of Blake, not once do any of the main characters in these movies ever learn from their mistakes (let alone even admitting they were wrong), and the messages they preach do get undermined. Alfred says the truth should have its day when he finally confesses to Bruce about Rachel, but then the film ends with Bruce faking his death to run away with another woman. Great, more unnecessary lies! The fact that Bruce doesn't even reconcile with Alfred except for that stupid wink in the end doesn't help matters either.
That's not a lie. Everyone still discovers the truth about Bruce. Gordon knows. Alfred knows. Selina knows. Blake has likely figured it out.
QuoteBlake dismisses Gordon's justification for covering up Dent's crimes, but after quitting the police force in disgust in the end, he changes his mind and sympathizes with Gordon's decision, even agreeing that he was right about the system being flawed. So telling a damaging lie that only causes more problems in the long run is actually okay after all?
He doesn't say that. He says that he was right about the structures becoming shackles. He doesn't say that the lie was right.
QuoteOf course let's not forget: Bruce was hoping that Batman's symbolism can inspire Gotham to the point he's not needed anymore...and yet, this film's ending heavily implies Blake will become the next Batman.
Him trying to get that blew up in his face.
QuoteAlthough Blake is the only one I came close to caring about, I just don't care for any of the other characters. I'd be much kinder to this trilogy if the filmmakers had cut down on the convoluted writing and consistently explore these purported themes instead. Otherwise, the whole thing feels like lip service and a waste of time. Just because a story is convoluted doesn't mean it's philosophically deep, intelligent or complex.
The themes were explored. You didn't seem pay attention.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 08:24
Gordon knows. Alfred knows. Selina knows. Blake has likely figured it out.
Lucius Fox, too.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 08:39
Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 08:24
Gordon knows. Alfred knows. Selina knows. Blake has likely figured it out.
Lucius Fox, too.
Yeah. He slipped my mind. Thank you.

Touching on a few points here;

FIGHT SCENES: this was by far BB's biggest flaw. The fight scenes were amateur. Nolan did show marginal improvement in the sequels but part of the appeal to superheroes is seeing them beat up bad guys.  To be honest I think this was arrogance on Nolans part. He knew he wasn't experienced in action, he should have hired a second unit.

HUNGER FROM NOLAN: One thing which Nolan prides himself on and his fanboys use as fodder is that he does not use a second unit or delete scenes. TDKR had BRUTAL editing with far too many scenes dragging on too long. I have a feeling not much effort was spent on post production. BB didn't have that problem. TDK there were scenes which should were cut too short; for instance the Joker's assault on the pent house ends with Batman saving Rachel yet the joker and the goons were still in the penthouse. Likewise the scene of Maroni watching Batman fight thugs in the club came out of nowhere and ended just as randomly (I also hated that he did that. Batman ran from the law the entire trilogy so shouldnt have gone in such a populated area with trained security bouncers. It was just as stupid as him returning to draw the cops off Bane in the 3rd film.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 16 Aug  2015, 17:30

FIGHT SCENES: this was by far BB's biggest flaw. The fight scenes were amateur. Nolan did show marginal improvement in the sequels but part of the appeal to superheroes is seeing them beat up bad guys.  To be honest I think this was arrogance on Nolans part. He knew he wasn't experienced in action, he should have hired a second unit.

HUNGER FROM NOLAN: One thing which Nolan prides himself on and his fanboys use as fodder is that he does not use a second unit or delete scenes. TDKR had BRUTAL editing with far too many scenes dragging on too long. I have a feeling not much effort was spent on post production. BB didn't have that problem. TDK there were scenes which should were cut too short; for instance the Joker's assault on the pent house ends with Batman saving Rachel yet the joker and the goons were still in the penthouse. Likewise the scene of Maroni watching Batman fight thugs in the club came out of nowhere and ended just as randomly (I also hated that he did that. Batman ran from the law the entire trilogy so shouldnt have gone in such a populated area with trained security bouncers. It was just as stupid as him returning to draw the cops off Bane in the 3rd film.
The idea of that was that he was angry about what he thought had happened to Gordon.

That was the point in TDKR too. It wasn't smart. He was making a sideshow of himself.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sun, 16 Aug  2015, 20:46

The idea of that was that he was angry about what he thought had happened to Gordon.

That was the point in TDKR too. It wasn't smart. He was making a sideshow of himself.

Well then if Nolan's point was to say that Bruce Wayne is stupid (which I agree he was in that series hence why he bankrupted Wayne Enterprises), that further emphasizes how Nolan truly didn't get the character he was working with.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 16 Aug  2015, 20:54
Quote from: Dagenspear on Sun, 16 Aug  2015, 20:46

Well then if Nolan's point was to say that Bruce Wayne is stupid (which I agree he was in that series hence why he bankrupted Wayne Enterprises), that further emphasizes how Nolan truly didn't get the character he was working with.
It likely shows that he's a flawed character.