Robin's portrayal in Batman Forever

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 9 Mar 2015, 02:38

Previous topic - Next topic
I kinda have a mixed opinion about how Robin is portrayed in this movie. I feel that his moodiness shifting between wanting revenge over his family's murder and his light-hearted attitude towards Bruce and Alfred is a little bit jarring. But at the same time, I do like it because it grabs the spirit of how Dick behaves in the comics. He does suffer an identical tragedy like Bruce. But unlike Bruce, Dick doesn't let it completely dim his soul. I don't quite mind how he acts bratty at times, but I must admit that it feels awkward watching Chris O'Donnell play what was meant to be an underage character. But then again, they could never get an underage kid to act in this movie because of the potentially creepy child endangerment stigma.

Anybody else agree? Or disagree?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It would've helped if he at least looked more like a teenager, O'Donnell definitely looked like he was in his early 20's to me. I'm satisfied with his portrayal in the film although I wish he didn't call Alfred "Al" or pretended he was Batman and he forgot his suit when he stole the car, those things were really cheesy.

I like the homage to Burt Ward with "Holy rusted metal, Batman!"

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  9 Mar  2015, 02:38
I kinda have a mixed opinion about how Robin is portrayed in this movie. I feel that his moodiness shifting between wanting revenge over his family's murder and his light-hearted attitude towards Bruce and Alfred is a little bit jarring. But at the same time, I do like it because it grabs the spirit of how Dick behaves in the comics. He does suffer an identical tragedy like Bruce. But unlike Bruce, Dick doesn't let it completely dim his soul. I don't quite mind how he acts bratty at times, but I must admit that it feels awkward watching Chris O'Donnell play what was meant to be an underage character. But then again, they could never get an underage kid to act in this movie because of the potentially creepy child endangerment stigma.

Anybody else agree? Or disagree?
Ideally I'd have liked Robin to be portrayed younger than Chris O'Donnell, but you're spot on.  There is something creepy about having a minor live with Bruce at Wayne Manor and disturbing about Bruce being okay in allowing a kid to fight crime alongside him.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon,  9 Mar  2015, 12:52
I'm satisfied with his portrayal in the film although I wish he didn't call Alfred "Al" or pretended he was Batman and he forgot his suit when he stole the car, those things were really cheesy.

I like the homage to Burt Ward with "Holy rusted metal, Batman!"

I actually didn't mind the scene where Dick stole the Batmobile and tried to show it off down the streets until he rescued that girl from that gang. He showed a rather a cool-headed side that seems in tune with his character.

I thought Burt Ward pun was cheesy. Although it's not really a bad thing at all.  :P

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  9 Mar  2015, 13:21
Ideally I'd have liked Robin to be portrayed younger than Chris O'Donnell, but you're spot on.  There is something creepy about having a minor live with Bruce at Wayne Manor and disturbing about Bruce being okay in allowing a kid to fight crime alongside him.

I think the best we can hope for getting another actor close to a young age is someone who is 18-19 years old. And even then, their turn as Robin wouldn't last too long since Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing when he hits his early twenties.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  9 Mar  2015, 13:21
There is something creepy about having a minor live with Bruce at Wayne Manor and disturbing about Bruce being okay in allowing a kid to fight crime alongside him.
Robin was pretty much there to attract younger readers, and to be someone else for Batman to talk to during his adventures. I think the concept of Robin is completely sound in terms of Bruce giving a fellow orphan a home.

It's only creepy if you want it to be. Bruce isn't a pedophile. He may have a dark side, but deep down he's a caring person looking to make a difference. To provide guidance to someone given he has experienced it all before.

It's likely Dick was going to enter crime fighting on his own.  As a comparison, if the boy is going to drink alcohol it's best for a parent or friend to supervise.

It may be disturbing to some, however thematically, it allows Bruce to impart everything he has to Dick. His wisdom, coping methods and crime fighting skills. He's learning it all a lot sooner than Bruce did too.

I don't know - it kind of works for me.

When it comes to live action, I still think it can be a bit shaky. I think it really depends if the storytellers emphasize that Batman takes a troubled side-kick on board as long as they're prevented from continuing a life that's guaranteed in self-destruction or misery. Think how Batman recruits Jason Todd in the Post Crisis comics. Jason had no parent supervision and was forced to fend for himself. And Batman was unaware that the school where he sent Jason was secretly run by a corrupt Aussie grandmother who was teaching disadvantaged boys how to break the law. So afterwards, Batman decides that he'd allow Jason to become the next Robin. Its a similar thing for Tim Drake. He lost both of his parents, and who knows how he might've ended up if Batman didn't adopt him.

Yes, it's true that it's irresponsible for someone like Batman taking kids under his wing in the real world, but then again, this is a Batman film, so realism should be ignored. And as long as the film isn't excessively bleak and sadistic, and the script shows that Batman is trying to help somebody if becoming Robin is the best possible alternative to escape a troubled life, I think the audience will go for it.

I don't have a problem with Robin joining Batman to stop Riddler and Two-Face in this movie because the stakes got higher towards the end. I liked how Batman initially wanted to spare Dick from living a life obsessing over getting revenge, but later he realized that they needed to become a team to stop the villains.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  9 Mar  2015, 02:38
I feel that his moodiness shifting between wanting revenge over his family's murder and his light-hearted attitude towards Bruce and Alfred is a little bit jarring.
I noticed this too, but I think this explains a lot about his character. He's confused and doesn't know what he wants. Bruce knows he's not a killer at heart.

I grew up with O'Donnell's Robin, and always liked the 90s upgrade for Robin. He had a new style and attitude that made it cool to like Robin again (in conjunction with Batman: The Animated Series and Tim Drake). Of course, looking back at Forever, I would've liked to see more Robin. Sadly, he doesn't do much before being captured.

I liked the genesis of the suit; we start off with a circus-inspired cloth suit not unlike the early comics. And it was clever how Dick added the domino mask to become a crime fighter. Though on that topic, I'd like to see more in the first appearance as Robin. Bruce says he was "out of control," could we have at least seen him beat up some goons before rescuing Batman?

He did have a bad attitude at first. You can kinda understand him thinking Bruce to just be in it for his own means before knowing him personally. Having him look up to Alfred was a great way to gradually bring him into the Bat-Family.