Most disturbing scene?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 2 Jul 2018, 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm also peeved when people refer to this film as being campy when it has the scene with the corpse. There's no way a major studio would allow a tent pole blockbuster to have a scene that disturbing in it nowadays.

As for other disturbing scenes I've always found this film's depiction of the Wayne murders unsettling. It feels like bad nightmare, and I love that it's told visually. Barely any words are said.

Another one for me that's not necessarily disturbing, but unsettling is when Batman briefly turns on Vicki in the Batcave. It's the only time I can think of where we the audience are also creeped out by Batman, and question his sanity. Again, it's just ballsy to include that in a mainstream superhero film. Looking back on this film they really pushed the envelope as far as they could.

Fri, 1 Feb 2019, 23:17 #11 Last Edit: Fri, 1 Feb 2019, 23:54 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Fri,  1 Feb  2019, 22:32
Another one for me that's not necessarily disturbing, but unsettling is when Batman briefly turns on Vicki in the Batcave. It's the only time I can think of where we the audience are also creeped out by Batman, and question his sanity. Again, it's just ballsy to include that in a mainstream superhero film. Looking back on this film they really pushed the envelope as far as they could.

That's a really good point. If that scene happened in today's pitiful excuse for a movie landscape, morons would probably think Batman had attacked Vicki. Judging from the slanderous nonsense I've seen people write about Snyder's DC movies in the last six years, I can only imagine clickbait pieces of garbage like ComicBook.com writing articles speculating whether or not Batman had sexually assaulted her after knocking her unconscious. I can only imagine lunatics going on Twitter to make delusional claims that Burton made Batman a rapist, and misrepresenting that scene even further by turning it into a point about "something, something rape culture, patriarchy". It wouldn't register to these f***ing idiots that Batman knocked her out because he had to confiscate the pictures she took of him when he fought the Joker goons in the alley - including the moment where they took his mask off - and he didn't want to compromise his true identity. Oh no, the creepy Batman must be a sexual predator!

::)

The vast majority of today's moviegoers and writers covering film are mentally deficient. They can all go and get f***ed.

Putting that little rant aside, you're right about how ballsy B89 was at the time. People say Batman is a dark and morally grey hero, and get a kick if other characters say he's crazy, but they don't want him to exhibit such behaviour, it seems. No, what they really want from the movies is to pay lip service for his character traits.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri,  1 Feb  2019, 23:17
Putting that little rant aside, you're right about how ballsy B89 was at the time. People say Batman is a dark and morally grey hero, and get a kick if other characters say he's crazy, but they don't him to exhibit such behaviour, it seems. No, what they really want from the movies is to pay lip service for his character traits.

For me this is the only film that addresses his insanity. It's interesting how it's put in contrast with the Joker's insanity as well.