Batman: Three Jokers

Started by thecolorsblend, Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 21:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Azrael on Wed, 25 Nov  2020, 20:08
Other than the fantastic art by Jason Fabok and the nods to the Burton films, one of the reasons I enjoyed this is that it has a sort of classic Batman feel, like comics from the 90s/early 00s, none of the "new" things introduced later. It could (almost) be a stand-alone three-part story from Shadow of the Bat or Legends of the Dark Knight.
I agree. These are the types of Batman stories I want to be reading. I want my comics to be high value. A story can be interesting but we eat with our eyes. Good art can make mediocre stories worthwhile. If the story is good the whole product is elevated further. Three Jokers has some of the best art you will find in a Batman comic.

The high value classification also includes emotional depth. Batman presents himself as a dark, closed off individual. And in many ways he is. But the introverted man is very sensitive to the world around him. I find the best stories contain important moments in a character's life, and more often than not it includes tragedy and some kind of melancholy conclusion. Three Jokers has that element.

Thirdly, I want believable and engaging character engagement. ZSJL demonstrates this really well, and Three Jokers does as well. Character juggling can be a hard thing to pull off, but with proper planning it can be done. It elevates the overall product into something special. If we don't care about the characters nothing matters.

Three Jokers still holds up for me.

Someone created a variation of the Three Jokers cover, featuring Nicholson, Ledger, and Phoenix that I think is pretty cool.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Ha, that's pretty cool. But man, there's just something so unsettling about Joaquin Phoenix's Joker. He's the creepiest live action Joker to me.

Can't say that I disagree.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."