Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
The Hollywood Reporter's run a story claiming the production was more fraught and troubled than Warner Bros is letting on: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693?utm_source=twitter

I assumed they were letting Ayer do his thing, but if this story is true then it looks like the bigwigs at WB may have screwed yet another DC movie with their interference.

How long before the inevitable extended cut DVD release is announced?

It's not panic stations for me yet. I still have to actually see the movie. I didn't agree with the critics regarding BvS, so hopefully that's the case again. We'll see.

This isn't a spoiler, but Jared Leto confirmed that there were several Joker scenes cut from the movie.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/jared-leto-admits-a-lot-of-his-scenes-as-the-joker-were-cut-from-a144205

Does this mean we need to refer to another Ultimate Edition again?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  4 Aug  2016, 12:07

I was going to ask the same question, it seemed BvS was filmed with the intention of later releasing a second edition, is that the same here?

I think I'm going to wait until week two to see it.

The way I saw it, the initial critical reviews were scalding, but after the film was released, it became clear that it was more of a mixed response. Will the positive reviews still continue to gain prevalence? Who knows - this is a movie where no type of reaction will deter me from seeing it anyhow.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  4 Aug  2016, 14:54
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  4 Aug  2016, 12:07

I was going to ask the same question, it seemed BvS was filmed with the intention of later releasing a second edition, is that the same here?
Gosh, DC can only put out blockbuster critical failures with second versions promising amends for so long. Not that I agree with the consensus, but

Just got back from seeing Suicide Squad, and is it as bad as some people are making it out to be?

No.

Actually, I was entertained all throughout the film. The critics comparing Suicide Squad to Josh Trank's Fan4stic really need to lay off snorting Arm & Hammer baking soda for their breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals, because that's just nonsense. Now the edits were a bit glaring since some scenes that's been consistently shown in previews/commercials have been omitted (Joker's line of, "I can't wait to show you my toys." being only one example), but not to an extent where it led me to have a pessimistic view of the film itself by any means. I can easily see how an blu ray/dvd ultimate cut could benefit the film, but do agree that continually doing that comes across as gimmicky, though as successful as BvS has been on Blu ray/DVD, money talks and you know the rest....

Oh yeah, it was sold out for the 10pm showing I went to. No doubt about that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I saw it.

I was disappointed. Probably would give it a 5 or 6/10.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Aug  2016, 09:17
I saw it.

I was disappointed. Probably would give it a 5 or 6/10.
That's bad.  You've been a staunch champion of the DCEU so if you don't like it, I don't know what to think. :(

What were your main issues, and are there any elements you do like?  What about Harley and the Joker?  Are they portrayed as well as you'd like (even if the overall film fails, I was hoping at least that those two characters might work, especially if we ever get a solo Batman film featuring Affleck)?

Also, how does it compare to the other Batman films?  Better/worse than the Schumacher and Nolan ones (I'm going to guess that it's much worse than the Burton ones ;) )?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I just got out of it, and I enjoyed it. Granted, it's not the best CBM I've seen, but I had fun watching it. I went in without reading any reviews, and tried to stay away from the hyperbole that I saw being thrown around, but it wasn't horrible. I'm not sure what to think of The Joker? I didn't hate it, but it was definitely a different interpretation.

I guess I'm gonna go and read some reviews now, to see what people were so upset about, but I thought it was a fun watch. If I had to give it a score, maybe something like a 7/10.

My review will lay down the law. I'm not pulling any punches.

I'm not saying anything else until the review is posted.