Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 22 Jul  2016, 07:19
There is reason for hope. This is the first DCEU movie not directed by Snyder. The instant it comes out, the DCEU won't be just his baby and nobody else's. Critics are basically stupid people who couldn't cut it anywhere else in journalism (which is really saying a lot when you think about it) so they write about film. The fact that this movie doesn't say "Directed by Zack Snyder" in the opening credits will change the game for many of them, even if they're not aware of it.
That's true - whether or not it's going to be admitted by people, Zack Snyder does get a hard time from the critics for simply being Zack Snyder. Which is a shame, because the guy is awesome. To the extent I'm calling him the modern day Burton. Put that in your pipe and smoke it haterz!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 21:48
It could do more than that. It might inspire WB to take risks with movies done on smaller budgets featuring more obscure characters. Sure, do the big stuff with the big icons. But they can also make, say, Sandman Mystery Theatre. Or the Spectre. A real Swamp Thing movie. Or Jonah Hex, for that matter. Lobo, there's another one.

Probably not Secret Six because that seems a bit too similar to Suicide Squad. Right down to the initials, even.

But Suicide Squad being successful opens the door to a lot of other stuff.

I hope they do start producing some smaller budgeted films. For one thing, it puts less pressure on them at the box office. But it also opens up the potential for riskier ventures. Marvel's got Netflix for its R-rated properties, and it'd be great if DC had a similar outlet for their more adult content. I'm not for one minute suggesting every DC film should be R-rated, because the vast majority of their comics don't warrant that. But it would be nice if they at least had the option when it came to adapting darker material like Swamp Thing or The Spectre.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 22 Jul  2016, 21:31
I'm not for one minute suggesting every DC film should be R-rated, because the vast majority of their comics don't warrant that. But it would be nice if they at least had the option when it came to adapting darker material like Swamp Thing or The Spectre.

Wild Dog.

DC/WB .... do it!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I hope all the DC films have a dark undercurrent to them. Or a sense of intensity at least. Marvel can do their shtick and DC will strike out on their own. Suicide Squad seems to have more visual creativity and spunk than the average MCU McDonald's assembly line. Cue the disgust and MCU appreciation society coming at me with pitchforks. But you aren't changing the way I think or feel.

I'm still not crazy about the tattoos, but I'm glad Joker and Harley Quinn look like this...

....as opposed to this.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That fake Harley is so about to get knifed in the stomach. You can tell.

And I totally agree.

I think the manipulative side of the Joker is going to be presented this time, given Harley's presence. A corrupter of souls. The films haven't really tapped into that facet fully yet. From being a lovesick puppy to being a brutal abuser. Rinse repeat.

Here is a link to an early reaction on the film: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/suicide-squad-review-from-early-viewer-suggests-its-better-than-batman-v-superman-but-theres-not-a7166101.html

It strikes me as credible, because although it's positive (8/10), it's also candid about whatever faults the film has.

QuoteOn its general quality:

"I really enjoyed it. There are some pacing issues but the actors cancel that out. Will Smith kills it and so does Margot Robbie. I'd give it an 8/10."

On the worst part of the movie:

"The worst part is just some of the pacing. And I feel like Croc could of had some more lines and back story since we got a lot more for Harley, Deadshot, and Enchantress. The best part is the team together. There's awesome jokes and great chemistry between them."

On the best scene:

"I loved that final fight sequence, Deadshot, Harley and Croc were so awesome in it."

On Jared Leto's Joker:

"To be honest he needs to grow on me more. He's cool but his role isn't huge but it is important in the film. I think once he has more screen time though he's going to be amazing...He comes off more as a mobster in SS than the Joker...He even owns a strip club. But I love his laugh it's so creepy."

On the size of The Flash's cameo:

"He's on screen for like 2 seconds."

On setting up future DC Universe films:

"This movie sets up a much better tone for the future of the DCU than BvS did. It's not as dark and depressing."

On Batman's involvement and whether you actually see Ben Affleck (as opposed to a stuntman):

He does get screen time in the first hour of the movie...It is Affleck you get to see him with out the mask."

On Scott Eastwood's cameo:

"I was so excited to find out and so disappointed to see he was just a random soldier."

On the mid-credits scene:

"That got me so excited. It's a good set up for one of the next movies."
Sounds positive.  And as one might hope and expect, the team dynamic and the fight sequences will be the film's biggest assets.

However, it's a shame that Scott Eastwood is simply playing a random soldier, and although I'm looking forward to Jared Leto's Joker, I'm not sure about his depiction as a 'gangster' (a term David Ayers used to describe him in a recent Empire interview) or the fact he owns a strip-club.  That sounds more akin to The Penguin than The Joker.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm browsing the SHH boards, and all I'm seeing is, "don't make fun of Marvel, they're the best", and "we need to get Nolan back. Nolan! Nolan! Nolan! Nolan!".

Quote from: Travesty on Tue,  2 Aug  2016, 17:16
I'm browsing the SHH boards, and all I'm seeing is, "don't make fun of Marvel, they're the best", and "we need to get Nolan back. Nolan! Nolan! Nolan! Nolan!".

Unfortunately, speaking as someone who really wanted this film to succeed, the critical consensus is already looking bad (if not quite BvS bad, yet), with the film covering hovering around the 38% 'rotten' level on the basis of 27 reviews.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.