Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
It's getting a lot of positive buzz on social media too. It's far too early to make concrete predictions regarding the final box office (we still don't even know the production budget), but I'm getting a positive vibe about this film.

I think releasing the extended cut of BvS at the beginning of August is a smart business move. The improvements in BvS should restore some of the wind to Batfleck's sails and get people hyped for SS. Meanwhile the theatrical release of SS will hopefully boost sales of the BvS Blu-ray. Warner Bros is doing a good job of exploiting the commercial complementarity of the two films.

It's weird how the production budget is unknown. But it would have to be sky high in order for a $125 million opening weekend to not put a major dent in it.

This could really turn things around for WB, at least perception-wise.

The only real drawback to the Suicide Squad is it makes a Secret Six movie rather unlikely. At least for now.

But when you start thinking about the ensemble movies that are possible if Suicide Squad is successful, that makes it all okay. I'd love to see a Legion of Superheroes movie. It'll probably never happen, I know, but I'd love it all the same.

Yay, I'll be having nightmares now.

I've read an apparent spoiler rundown of Batfleck's scenes.

Sounds GREAT.

These are simply outstanding!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 19:37

These are simply outstanding!

This is looking more and more like the best DCEU film to date. I think it could be the first one the critics really get behind too.

It could do more than that. It might inspire WB to take risks with movies done on smaller budgets featuring more obscure characters. Sure, do the big stuff with the big icons. But they can also make, say, Sandman Mystery Theatre. Or the Spectre. A real Swamp Thing movie. Or Jonah Hex, for that matter. Lobo, there's another one.

Probably not Secret Six because that seems a bit too similar to Suicide Squad. Right down to the initials, even.

But Suicide Squad being successful opens the door to a lot of other stuff.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 20:59
I think it could be the first one the critics really get behind too.

There's a chance, but don't be disappointed or surprised if it gets hammered.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 22 Jul  2016, 01:49
There's a chance, but don't be disappointed or surprised if it gets hammered.
There is reason for hope. This is the first DCEU movie not directed by Snyder. The instant it comes out, the DCEU won't be just his baby and nobody else's. Critics are basically stupid people who couldn't cut it anywhere else in journalism (which is really saying a lot when you think about it) so they write about film. The fact that this movie doesn't say "Directed by Zack Snyder" in the opening credits will change the game for many of them, even if they're not aware of it.