Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dagenspear on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 09:24
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 08:09Rock and roll. Or roll and rock, take your pick.

It's good to have a film universe where Killer Croc actually looks like a crocodile. I shiver to think what Nolan would've given us.
I don't think he wouldn't given it at all. And I don't see what's wrong with that.

God bless you! God bless everyone!
If Nolan couldn't convey all the characters in the Batman universe, there lies an issue in his approach.

Sun, 24 Jan 2016, 18:35 #221 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Jan 2016, 18:37 by Dagenspear
Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 12:27Despite not having superpowers Batman is steeped in fantasy and imagination both as a character and an entity. The Bat universe I mean. And for the filmmaker tasked with doing movies about Batman (a big responsibility) to shed the imagination that makes characters like Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy (among so many others) great amazing and believable characters and lets a person use their imagination (something that is already slowly dying) is wrong. No fanboy is going to ever convince me that Nolan ignoring and in ways harming, see this is where the responsibility part comes in as the anointed "Keeper of the Bat," the fantastic elements of Batman is anything but a travesty and a disgrace to the character, the Batman universe, and the fans.
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 18:24If Nolan couldn't convey all the characters in the Batman universe, there lies an issue in his approach.
That's a limited viewpoint. Any director can develop any style when dealing with the character and the stories that they want. They aren't obligated to do anything and to call the absence of some of those characters a disgrace is an insult to the character of Batman and the rest of his world.

It's hilarious that you're the one saying it's okay to omit a huge part of Batman, and superheroes in general, by ignoring the fantasy element (therefore limiting the characters and stories to tell) and yet WE'RE the ones with the limited viewpoint.

Nice try, but it's obvious you're a Nolan fanboy with blinders on. I'm done with you.

Batman has seventy seven years of comic-books to draw from, some of which were gritty, others of which were very fantastical, and some which were a blend between the two extremes.  Likewise, filmmakers are entitled to choose one of these various types of styles in bringing Batman to life, and although all of these approaches are entirely valid that doesn't mean they can all represent the entire panoply of Batman characters and tropes.

Thus the Burton approach is as valid as the Schumacher approach which is as valid as the Nolan approach, and so on.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Choosing to focus on a particular set of characters is one thing. Actually being unable to use a particular set of characters, as they are in the comics, is a whole other kettle of fish.

Nolan made a trilogy and he utilised the characters that did feature, well.  He didn't necessarily need to create a universe in which characters like Man-Bat or Clayface, for instance, could exist.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 19:08It's hilarious that you're the one saying it's okay to omit a huge part of Batman, and superheroes in general, by ignoring the fantasy element (therefore limiting the characters and stories to tell) and yet WE'RE the ones with the limited viewpoint.

Nice try, but it's obvious you're a Nolan fanboy with blinders on. I'm done with you.
I like all versions of Batman. And none of them are bad. Please don't try to justify your own lacking of an open mind by accusing me of false claims.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 24 Jan  2016, 21:03Nolan made a trilogy and he utilised the characters that did feature, well.  He didn't necessarily need to create a universe in which characters like Man-Bat or Clayface, for instance, could exist.
Thank you. That's what I was saying. Those elements don't automatically define the character. There are several different versions and they're all just as viable as the other. Burton, Schumacher, Nolan and TAS.

Nolan did his own take on the characters just as Burton did, and suffice to say I prefer the latter. Batman is not a character meant to be grounded in "reality" for me.

I'd like it if we could stop arguing and all just agree to disagree in this instance.  :-\

Everyone has their own preferences, but I do gather that practically every poster, particularly the regulars, here likes the Tim Burton Batman movies.