Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
That does sound really dumb Laughing Fish, and whatever the detractors say I'm currently really enthused about Ben Affleck's Batman and Jared Leto's Joker.  Of all the major actors to play Batman and the Joker in a live-action film, Affleck and Leto, based on the footage I've seen, come closest to embodying the look and feel of the comic-book characters to me, give or take the Joker's, admittedly unnecessary tats.

That said, if TDK Joker was apprehended and sent to Arkham surely it wouldn't be too difficult to stop him from blabbing to anyone about Harvey Dent's fall from grace.  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I like what I'm seeing and even with the tattoos and the metal teeth, Leto's Joker is looking like, well, the Joker. And that's refreshing to me  ;)

Excited to see this for the other Bat-universe characters- Harley, Deadshot, Killer Croc, Katana.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 15 Jul  2015, 15:49
That does sound really dumb Laughing Fish, and whatever the detractors say I'm currently really enthused about Ben Affleck's Batman and Jared Leto's Joker. 

I wouldn't say Ben Affleck was ever an actor I've admired, but I just don't get the hatred for him. It might have something to do with him being a political loudmouth or something.

A lot of the criticism against him is mainly because of Gigli (which I've never really seen except for a scene where Al Pacino delivers a terrible monologue while murdering someone) and Daredevil (which I didn't think he was that bad in it). He has improved quite a bit for the last decade, doing a great job as George Reeves in Hollywoodland, quite good as the clueless manipulated husband in Gone Girl, and of course The Town and Argo - the two films he directed. Nonetheless, those two films I've seen make me believe that he's a better director than actor, and I can't help but think it's possible he had some story input for Dawn of Justice. That makes me quietly confident that the film will turn out good.

Of all the major actors to play Batman and the Joker in a live-action film, Affleck and Leto, based on the footage I've seen, come closest to embodying the look and feel of the comic-book characters to me, give or take the Joker's, admittedly unnecessary tats.

I can agree with you about Affleck so far. Can't help but feel it's a big call about Leto though. But then again, he doesn't have a disfigured mouth like Jack's Joker did, so you might be onto something. I'm not a fan of the tattoos either, but if I can be objective for a moment, Leto's Joker aesthetics is no more a departure than other previous Batman film villains that we've seen over the past twenty odd years.

That said, if TDK Joker was apprehended and sent to Arkham surely it wouldn't be too difficult to stop him from blabbing to anyone about Harvey Dent's fall from grace.  :-\

Or quite possibly, he was killed by the SWAT team immediately after Batman left? Otherwise, I find it a little hard to believe that the "unstoppable force of nature" that had a plan for everything and a master who got into people's heads could be restrained so easily in the end. Unfortunately, we'll never know what happened. Either way, doesn't matter. No need to complain about the past, the footage should inspire to look forward to the future.

Anyway, I don't know too much about Katana, but I thought she's normally a hero, a member of the Outsiders and served as a side-kick in Beware the Batman.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 11:09 #183 Last Edit: Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 11:12 by THE BAT-MAN
I've been hearing some fans theorize that Jason Todd (The 2nd Robin) is the victim that the Joker is about to torture.  However, I have a different theory.  I believe that the victim the Joker is about to torture at the end of the trailer is non other than Harleen Quinzel.  Here's why, if you pause at the 2:18 mark of the trailer you will see Harleen strapped to a table with her mouth gagged while the Joker is leaning down on her.  It's obvious that he is going to torture her using electric shock.  The room is also the same as the room at the end of the trailer and if you pause at the 2:43 mark and look very carefully down you can see a snippet of Harleen's glasses.  So, It's possible to assume that Joker will torture Harleen which will causes her to become Harley Quinn.

I agree THE BAT-MAN.  The lighting and location look the same in the shot where the Joker is leaning forward into the camera as it is in the side shot of the Joker leaning down on a table-strapped Harley Quinn.

So you think in this case Harleen Quinzel will become Harley Quinn as a result of trauma?  I know some people will disagree because it potentially robs Harley of agency but I kind of like this idea because it partly exonerates, or at least provides a sympathetic explanation, for Harley's craziness.  I like Harleen Quinzel's background as a working class city girl who got a gymnastic scholarship and successfully made her way into psychiatric medicine.  It's an admirable biography so I appreciate anything that explains and partly mitigates Harley's psychotic, lethal behaviour (much in the same way Selina Kyle being pushed out of a high-rise building in 'Batman Returns', not to mention the perpetual bullying she has suffered, provides a partial defence for her decision to become a 'crazy Catwoman').
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I thought it was obvious it's Harleen. I actually said as much on the last page but once again nobody listens to the crazy woman so I think I'll just give myself a bath right here and give you all dirty looks.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 14 Jul  2015, 14:08This movie looks relentless. Lots of people get chopped down by gunfire from what I saw. It'll still be PG-13, but I won't be surprised if this movie ends up being controversial for its bleak subject matter.
I was thinking, if another comic book movie is going to evoke the dark, twisted fun of Batman Returns, this may be it. Margot Robbie may put in the best female comic book performance since Michelle Pfeiffer too.

A brand new cover of Leto's Joker for Empire Magazine has been leaked, together with a scanned image of Harley and Joker talking face to face.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/625993-new-joker-photos-from-suicide-squad#/slide/1

I still think that Leto would look perfect if it weren't for the overkill of tattoos. Oh well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm liking this more and more.

You know, based on what I've read about Leto's commitment to this role, I think he could've gone beyond Ledger. Apparently Leto remained in character the whole time, to the point Will Smith said he has never met Jared Leto, only The Joker. He also bought fellow cast members disgusting gifts. Bullets to Smith, a dead rat to Margot and a dead hog to the crew. That's pretty messed up.

Hopefully it translates into an unhinged and funny performance.

Margot's rat was alive. She kept it as a pet.