Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm cautiously optimistic about him

I think Leto could out-Ledger Ledger. Not that getting into character is anything new or groundbreaking, mind you. It's what any actor does for a living.

I'm not going to bash Ledger. I think he did a good job for the style Nolan wanted. But I do think he was overrated by the fanbase. But that wasn't his fault.

Was Ledger's take my type of Joker? No. In some respects I don't think it's even The Joker, period. The Nolan fan will say the scars are his perma-white. That he can't take that off. But it's just not the same.

The Joker is an actor and a manipulator, but applying makeup gives him a choice of descending into a persona. Just as Batman has a choice of donning his cape and cowl every night. I think Joker should be the opposite of Batman in that regard. Silver Nemesis will disagree, but facts are, we are shown flesh faced TDK Joker can stand in full public view with facial scars at the Loeb memorial and nobody pays him any attention.

I can see Leto being just as intense as Ledger with the added benefit of comic book theatricality.

I hope the role doesn't kill Leto the way it allegedly killed Ledger.  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I have alot of faith in Leto as the Joker. Putting some focus on Joker's comedic personality, along with being alot more clean cut, certainly comes across as more traditional than Ledger's Joker and is a step in the right direction.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  7 Mar  2015, 00:07
The Joker is an actor and a manipulator, but applying makeup gives him a choice of descending into a persona. Just as Batman has a choice of donning his cape and cowl every night. I think Joker should be the opposite of Batman in that regard.

I get what you mean. Nicholson couldn't do anything to hide his smile, but he tried to deceive people by hiding his deformed flesh in make-up. Especially during the TV broadcast by claiming he can 'unmask' himself, as a way of taunting Batman to the entire audience. That doesn't apply to Ledger because the make-up is his mask. Which he doesn't really need at all if you think about it because he's so superhuman at most times e.g. appearing like a ghost unnoticed at the Loeb memorial.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leto will look like the revamped New 52 Joker.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  7 Mar  2015, 14:07

Did the role really play a factor in his death? I admit that I haven't paid too much attention to the circumstances surrounding his death, but I always thought that Ledger had suffered from other struggles in his personal life, and the overdose was just a tragic accident.

BTW: Joel Kinnaman is replacing Tom Hardy as Rick Flag.

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/03/09/joel-kinnaman-confirms-hes-joining-the-suicide-squad-as-rick-flagg
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 11 Mar  2015, 11:56
I get what you mean. Nicholson couldn't do anything to hide his smile, but he tried to deceive people by hiding his deformed flesh in make-up. Especially during the TV broadcast by claiming he can 'unmask' himself, as a way of taunting Batman to the entire audience.
Exactly.

I think it's a nice touch how The Joker lies about what his true face is during the television hijacking.

"I've taken off my makeup, let's see if you can take off yours."
Did the role really play a factor in his death?
No. It's just a myth perpetuated to increase the sense of greatness.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  7 Mar  2015, 00:07
The Joker is an actor and a manipulator, but applying makeup gives him a choice of descending into a persona. Just as Batman has a choice of donning his cape and cowl every night. I think Joker should be the opposite of Batman in that regard.

I get what you mean. Nicholson couldn't do anything to hide his smile, but he tried to deceive people by hiding his deformed flesh in make-up. Especially during the TV broadcast by claiming he can 'unmask' himself, as a way of taunting Batman to the entire audience. That doesn't apply to Ledger because the make-up is his mask. Which he doesn't really need at all if you think about it because he's so superhuman at most times e.g. appearing like a ghost unnoticed at the Loeb memorial.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leto will look like the revamped New 52 Joker.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  7 Mar  2015, 14:07

Did the role really play a factor in his death? I admit that I haven't paid too much attention to the circumstances surrounding his death, but I always thought that Ledger had suffered from other struggles in his personal life, and the overdose was just a tragic accident.

BTW: Joel Kinnaman is replacing Tom Hardy as Rick Flag.

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/03/09/joel-kinnaman-confirms-hes-joining-the-suicide-squad-as-rick-flagg

If they take any inspiration from New 52 I hope they don't have him "unmask" himself the same way he did in the comics which is having his face cut off. Blech! Still so freaking gross.

I remember reading all the stuff about the role and everything being what caused him to have sleeping problems and overdose on the pills. I was sort of in my own little world back then (y'all remember me back when I first registered, that was a year later but still lol) and doing wrong things of my own but that bothered me and nearly made me not go see the movie. I did and back then I was like "Oh hell yes Heath Ledger FTW!" even though I didn't know what the hell FTW is (damn young wippersnappers and their slang...) but it was more the hype than anything so now I'm like "Overrated FTW" even though I still don't know what FTW means.

Where was I going with that again?

And I've never heard of Joel Kinnaman (actually I hadn't really heard of anyone attached to this movie except Will until the cast was revealed lol. I'm SO not a pop culture princess) but I hope he's good in the movie. I won't really be able to base it off the comic since Rick Flagg isn't in the ones I've read so I'll defer to other peeps judgement and just judge him on how he acts in general.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 11 Mar  2015, 13:37
If they take any inspiration from New 52 I hope they don't have him "unmask" himself the same way he did in the comics which is having his face cut off. Blech! Still so freaking gross.

I doubt it. With the whole thing about Leto going for something more "cerebral" and "comedic" that's been posted on all the news sites, I don't think that would include the Nu52's Leatherface Joker being a very viable option. As it would hinder Leto's performance in having to wear a face mask like that, which I don't think he as an actor, especially in this stage of his career, would find too appealing. Just as well though. Leto is better than having to rely on shock value disfigurement to make his Joker a memorable interpretation. His performance alone will do that.

Personally, if Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" is something Snyder/Affleck is drawing inspiration from, I hope Leto does the same as well. Honestly, some of the recent pics posted of him give me that Miller DKR Joker vibe....

QuoteI remember reading all the stuff about the role and everything being what caused him to have sleeping problems and overdose on the pills. I was sort of in my own little world back then (y'all remember me back when I first registered, that was a year later but still lol) and doing wrong things of my own but that bothered me and nearly made me not go see the movie. I did and back then I was like "Oh hell yes Heath Ledger FTW!" even though I didn't know what the hell FTW is (damn young wippersnappers and their slang...) but it was more the hype than anything so now I'm like "Overrated FTW" even though I still don't know what FTW means.

Heh. First time I saw FTW being used on the net, I thought of the FTW title used in ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling). Which stood for "F*** The World", but no. Common usage on the net doesn't refer to that.  :D I watched waaay too much pro wrestling as a kid.  :-[

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 24 Jan  2015, 06:05
It could. He was part of the team in the beginning of New Suicide Squad. First issue the Russians captured him and offered him a lot of money so he joined them.

I hate disloyal people. One-eyed bastard. lol

Like I said ;)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumor-joe-manganiello-a-lock-for-suicide-squads-deathstroke

Jared Leto's Joker Reportedly Based on 'Dark Knight Returns

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/13/jared-letos-joker-reportedly-inspired-by-the-dark-knight-returns/

Grain of salt, and all that, but you know .... if true ....