Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 08:19
he matter of how much screen time Leto gets as Joker will play a factor in that, though I have to assume it's substantial enough to gain Leto's interest in signing on, especially at this stage in his career.

At the same time it might be little more than a cameo and the fact that the role is so huge was enough to draw him. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself lol.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 08:33

There was some obvious similarities with "Death of the Family" and Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies.

This was straight out of Part 2.

This was actually before Death of the Family. Captain Boomerang (who I can't decide if I like or if he gets on my damn nerves) mentioned the Joker was missing, presumed dead and skinned alive and, well, you know Harley lol. The Suicide Squad part of Death of the Family was pretty amazing, if a little gross. I won't spoil it but Joker gasses the rest of the team except Harley (since of course Ivy made her immune). He wants to bring her down the road he's on, she decides she doesn't want to. They fight, Joker hits the wall face first, he falls to the floor but his face stays stuck to it so we see the inside of the skin. Yuck.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 11:35
Admittedly I don't know much about Suicide Squad, but I am a little disappointed that we won't be getting Harley in a more traditional scenario.  I'd love to see her origin story onscreen, which does of course require input from the Joker.

In the reboots they changed it to where instead of just falling in mad love (hehe) and wearing makeup, Joker throws Harleen in the same vat he fell (jumped?) in and causes her to have the same transformation (bleached skin, hair two different colors, etc). So maybe that is what his role is. I hope so. What do you mean by "traditional scenario?" Putting on the jester's outfit and being The Joker's whipping girl or something while he fights Batman?

And you and everyone else who hasn't read Suicide Squad needs to, stat. Especially issues 5, 6, and 7, and 14 and 15. 6 and 7 deal with her origin, 14 and 15 are the Death of the Family issues.

Wow. I feel like a brainiac or at least the smart one all of a sudden. I like this feeling. Even if it is just a feeling and perception is NOT reality lol.

Issue 7 is also the one where she puts his face over Deadshot's. It's actually pretty hot lol. Even the ending which, when you see it, coming from me might be pretty weird but y'all know me.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 12:58

Admittedly I don't know much about Suicide Squad, but I am a little disappointed that we won't be getting Harley in a more traditional scenario.  I'd love to see her origin story onscreen, which does of course require input from the Joker.

In the reboots they changed it to where instead of just falling in mad love (hehe) and wearing makeup, Joker throws Harleen in the same vat he fell (jumped?) in and causes her to have the same transformation (bleached skin, hair two different colors, etc). So maybe that is what his role is. I hope so. What do you mean by "traditional scenario?" Putting on the jester's outfit and being The Joker's whipping girl or something while he fights Batman?
I mean as a solo character, or a double-act with The Joker, rather than as part of a team, and a character who goes up against Batman and Robin and co in Gotham City.  I like the animated episode where she kidnaps Veronica Vreeland (by mistake).

This is a weird way on introducing her in her live-action film debut IMHO.  :-\

Also, is she a psychiatrist/gymnast in this version?  I like the idea of her having those particular skill sets.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Yes and yes. She's very physically strong and she's still a psychiatrist. In the New Suicide Squad, she beats the ever loving hell out of The Joker's Daughter (thank GOD she's not in the movie. ugh) and is telling her not to be like him, to be anyone or anything else. Black Manta asks whats up once he gets to where they were fighting and she explains it and then says "I'm a psychiatrist" with a smile.

In the TOTALLY HILARIOUS AND ADORABLE Harley Quinn comic, she actually works as a psychiatrist as one of her jobs to help her keep owning the apartment building she inherited. Her other job is as part of a roller derby team lol. So that alone is like the perfect illustration of both. Btw that is another comic y'all HAVE to read. I said it before and I will repeat that it is like me if I didn't have any silly inhibitions and didn't follow all the rules. I'd do all that stuff lol.

Case in point (btw the beaver isn't really talking, it is just a voice in her head. see I'm totally like her)

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 12:58
At the same time it might be little more than a cameo and the fact that the role is so huge was enough to draw him. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself lol.

Ha!

This was actually before Death of the Family. Captain Boomerang (who I can't decide if I like or if he gets on my damn nerves) mentioned the Joker was missing, presumed dead and skinned alive and, well, you know Harley lol. The Suicide Squad part of Death of the Family was pretty amazing, if a little gross. I won't spoil it but Joker gasses the rest of the team except Harley (since of course Ivy made her immune). He wants to bring her down the road he's on, she decides she doesn't want to. They fight, Joker hits the wall face first, he falls to the floor but his face stays stuck to it so we see the inside of the skin. Yuck.

You're right. I haven't read those issues since they initially came out (couple of years ago?), and kinda lump all the Leatherface stuff together with 'Death of the Family'. I remember Joker revealing that he purposely made Harley's hyena's, Bud and Lou, rabid, which subsequently resulted in their deaths somewhere along the line in all of this. To which I felt was a mistake, as I think they (and by they I mean DC and the Nu52) atleast could have got some mileage out of the Bud and Lou dynamic, but one thing they sure have gotten some mileage out of is the Joker's leatherface. Especially with the whole Joker's Daughter stuff. Much like the Walking Dead's teeth, that skin is pretty resistant to decay evidently.  :D

In the reboots they changed it to where instead of just falling in mad love (hehe) and wearing makeup, Joker throws Harleen in the same vat he fell (jumped?) in and causes her to have the same transformation (bleached skin, hair two different colors, etc). So maybe that is what his role is. I hope so.

I would really, really like it if they steer clear of the Nu52 origin. As it comes across as incredibly contrived, and fan-fictiony.

QuoteWhat do you mean by "traditional scenario?" Putting on the jester's outfit and being The Joker's whipping girl or something while he fights Batman?

That's a unfair assessment wouldn't you say, Catwoman? I mean, Harley was certainly an appealing and enduring character in her original conception by Paul Dini in the Animated Series, as well during her introduction to the DCU comics prior to the 2011 reboot, right? Getting her own title that lasted 30-40-something issues, and Gotham City Sirens certainly indicates that. It's not like her appeal and success started with the Nu52 version. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

QuoteAnd you and everyone else who hasn't read Suicide Squad needs to, stat. Especially issues 5, 6, and 7, and 14 and 15. 6 and 7 deal with her origin, 14 and 15 are the Death of the Family issues.

Wow. I feel like a brainiac or at least the smart one all of a sudden. I like this feeling. Even if it is just a feeling and perception is NOT reality lol.

Oh, you're getting better. Especially with the current stuff. Which I slowly have lost interest in sans a few titles here and there over the years.   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Oh I know she was popular before that. Hell she is iconic! I just mean I like it when she can stand alone or work with Ivy or anyone OTHER than the Joker just to prove she doesn't need him.

And trust me when I say the decay starts to...set in. Ugh. I need to set a time interval between when I eat and think about that. Two weeks should do it.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm in love with both versions of her so whichever origin and whichever costume they use (as long as it's HER costume and not some Ledgered up bullsh*t) will suit me as long as the personality is right.

And the new stuff is like all I know, but it's a start! I kind of feel like a villainess for how I'm finding it out though...shhhh...

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Dec  2014, 16:36
Oh I know she was popular before that. Hell she is iconic! I just mean I like it when she can stand alone or work with Ivy or anyone OTHER than the Joker just to prove she doesn't need him.

You know the more I think about it, especially by mentioning Ivy, it really would have been cool to have seen a Gotham City Sirens movie. I guess going the Suicide Squad route offers WB/DC more of an opportunity to make a healthy profit by including some big names (both male and female), but a Gotham City Sirens film would have been amazing. Especially if it was anything like the books. The DC cinematic version of a bad girl Charlie's Angels, though with much more popular characters (Harley, Ivy, Catwoman).

QuoteAnd trust me when I say the decay starts to...set in. Ugh. I need to set a time interval between when I eat and think about that. Two weeks should do it.

I know comic book time is funny, but to see his former (leather)face STILL intact is hilarious.

QuoteI'll be perfectly honest, I'm in love with both versions of her so whichever origin and whichever costume they use (as long as it's HER costume and not some Ledgered up bullsh*t) will suit me as long as the personality is right.

My love/displeasure with Nu52 Harley is similar to Nu52 Wonder Woman. I simply do not care for the bleached white origin story, but as far as Harley herself goes, I really don't have any major problems. Sure, I prefer Harley to be blonde with a non-bleached pigmentation (and in a harlequin costume), but that's due to how she was originally intended and portrayed for so many years. Nearly two decades even. However, I think her personality and such has remained intact, thankfully.

Nu52 Wonder Woman is much more of a mixed bag unfortunately.

QuoteAnd the new stuff is like all I know, but it's a start! I kind of feel like a villainess for how I'm finding it out though...shhhh...

Oh well, you're not the only one. That's for sure!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

A Gotham City Sirens movie probably would kill me, if they followed the comic faithfully. It ripped my heart to pieces.

Best I can tell Harley is the first person to remove it from that case, which is probably like sealed and controlled to keep it from decomposing. Once Joker gets his hands on it in the first issue of Death of the Family, it like immediately starts to rot.

Blech. Two weeks, damnit. Two weeks!

She's a little bit edgier in Suicide Squad but otherwise the personality is the same. In her own title (I'm SERIOUS. READ IT! You will laugh your badonk a donks off!) she's like Harley's Holiday Harley, before the stupid dress thingamajigger goes off and ruins everything. I like the blonde hair (obviously) but the split red and black/blue has grown on me, and so has the outfit. 

Doesn't make it any more legal lol.