Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 25 Apr  2015, 15:10
It f***in sucks: bottom line. I'm sorry, but Ledger's looked better than this. Leto has what, green hair? Yup, that's it! Green hair, and the rest looks like he's a prison thug. Face tats and a silver grill for his teeth? Are you out of your f***in mind?!

I'm not particularly crazy about the Marilyn Manson-look as anyone else here, but with all due respect, I don't see how Ledger's look was any better. If you can look past the capped teeth and the body art, Leto here at least has a deranged demeanor that resembles the Joker, unlike Ledger's. I remember not even realizing Ledger was supposed to be playing the Joker when I first saw him in that makeup. And the fact that he frowns with that annoying red smear across his face with a hunchback was annoying to look at. To me, he too looks like a gothic thug. It doesn't matter, different strokes for different people I guess.  :-\

We'll just have to wait and see the film to see how it works out now.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's kinda funny reading reactions comparing how they ruined jokers look (in comparison to Leger). My reaction is the same as when I saw Ledgers Joker  :D

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 25 Apr  2015, 15:35

Brilliant!

The best way to criticise the new Joker is by mockery and this picture is hilarious.

That said, I'm one of the few people around here who doesn't mind the Joker's new look.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 25 Apr  2015, 15:51

The Joker should be shouting "Mirror!"

And the tattoo artist should look at his tools in an apologetic manner and say "You see what I have to work with here..."

There's something really obnoxious and precious about that 'damaged' forehead tattoo.  It unfortunately reminds me of the type of t-shirts the girls in 'Mean Girls' wore with self-conscious slogans like "A little bit dramatic".  I hope that particular tattoo goes.

People hating on this are out of their minds.

Is it weird? Yeah. But you know what? He's permawhite... which is like the defining element of the Joker. While Ledger did give a good performance, the implication was that he made himself into a freak. That isn't the Joker. Leto is clearly permawhite, thus sealing his fate and insanity, he can't walk away from it. Just from that alone, it's better than Ledger's take.

And the tatts bother you? Realize this: he won't be shirtless the entire time. When he puts his clothes on, he'll look almost completely like the comic book Joker.

The other element that I thought about is the potential issues related to being too close to the comic; Jack made his deal for "any derivative Joker" (ie: based on his) to net him money. Since he was so close to the comics, maybe with Ledger & Leto (and even the guy in the intro to the Birds of Prey show, who's lower half-face always looked fleshtone...) they have to be different enough from the comic look just so Jack won't have a leg to stand on in court if he wanted some extra bucks.... food for thought.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat, 25 Apr  2015, 16:52
And the tatts bother you? Realize this: he won't be shirtless the entire time. When he puts his clothes on, he'll look almost completely like the comic book Joker.
Except for the two face tats, and the silver grill in his teeth.

He looks like a common thug. The Joker shouldn't look like a thug, he's the one who should be ordering the thugs around. He looks like someone who should be working for The Joker, not the actual Joker.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 25 Apr  2015, 15:24
It's kinda funny reading reactions comparing how they ruined jokers look (in comparison to Leger). My reaction is the same as when I saw Ledgers Joker  :D
Agreed. I don't see how this is sacrilege and (in some Facebook comments I've read) the "downfall of superhero movies," while Ledger's "The Crow" look was considered fine. This was how the 2007 me wished everyone had reacted in that first "Dead Presidents"-like pic of the TDK Joker.

I've stated my own issues with the new look, but it's still closer to Joker to me than what we had to deal with last time. Something like this would've been perfect, though:

Honestly looking forward to seeing him with clothes on and going up against Affleck's Batman.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...