Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Gonna be another 2 weeks before I see it. f***ing love those last minute medical expenses.

This logo transition says it all.

The longer things went, the brighter it all got. I'd much prefer to see the movie trailer one presented, instead of gutlessly backtracking their real intent and going back for reshoots.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  8 Aug  2016, 10:02
This logo transition says it all.

The longer things went, the brighter it all got. I'd much prefer to see the movie trailer one presented, instead of gutlessly backtracking their real intent and going back for reshoots.

In DC's defense though you can tell they are trying. Throughout the Nolan trilogy, the problems fans had never got addressed; bat vehicles still had horrendous designs, fight scenes were poorly shot, and Bales voice was still irritating. They are doing reshoots in an attempt to make things better and I have no doubt Batman vs Superman underwhelming caused them to re-evaluate Suicide Squad. They could have also gone the ghosbusters route and decided that anyone who doesn't like their films must not understand properly.

It seems obvious though they are rushing films. There's far too much running around chasing their tales than planning and properly developing a good film. One positive is that Margot Robbie/Harley Quinn is getting heavy praise.

I'll be going tomorrow night and post my review. If you're wondering where I stand on the DCEU I rated Man of Steel 5/10 and Batman v Superman 8 / 10

WB is adapting their approach. They're taking criticism and working with fans as best they can. Unlike some movie studios I could mention, they're not giving fans the middle finger (even though they'd be well within their rights at this point). Instead, they're trying their best to cater to us.

To me, that means something.

I'd strongly argue the product they originally intended would've pleased a lot more fans. This was backtracking to please the critics who would've said it's all too dark and grim. But they were slammed anyway. So F the critics.

This is what Suicide Squad co-creator John Ostrander had to say about the movie:

"I really liked the film. Not perfect by a long shot, but a really good time in the movie theater. And for me a lot of it was just amazing. The look, the detail, the feel of the film is not something I've seen in superhero movies before."

"Are their problems with the film? Sure. The antagonist(s) are not well defined and, to my mind, you need a good antagonist to help define the protagonist(s). It's the antagonist who usually sets the plot in motion and it is defined by what they want. The story is a little more generic 'we have to save the world' than I usually did; I always liked having one foot squarely in reality."

"I also liked having a political and/or social edge in my 'Squad' stories. That would also give a greater feel of reality and I don't see that here."

"That said, my artistic DNA is all over the place. This is 'The Dirty Dozen' with supervillains and that's my concept. They did that and did it well."

"I know some of the critics, both in print and online, do not like the movie. That's okay; everyone has a right to their own opinion even when it's wrong. My problem is that, at least with some of the media reviews, is that the critic is also tired of superhero and 'tentpole' films and, overtly or covertly, would like to see their end. Look, I get it -- they have to see all the films out there and they must be tired of all the blockbusters."

"If every superhero film is not [expletive], they'll bitch. I think that's going on here to a certain degree. Just as I came prepared to love the movie, they came prepared to hate it," he said. He then referred to his late wife Kim Yale, who was a movie critic for a small Chicago newspaper, saying, "Don't tell me that some of the critics didn't come with pre-conceived attitudes to some films. I know better. I saw and heard it."

"As for some of the online haters -- if a film doesn't fit their pre-conceived notion, it is wrong. Female 'Ghostbusters,' a black Deadshot, Ben Affleck as Batman (Affleck, by the way, does cameos as both Batman and Bruce Wayne in 'Suicide Squad' and is terrific) -- these are all sins and must be decried. Give me a f***ing break. Look, you can be the most important critic on 'Suicide Squad.' In this case, your voice is your money. You decide if you want to see the movie and then go. If you like it, tell others. I guess you could also tell them if you didn't like it but you don't have to. I won't mind."

Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/john-ostrander-reviews-suicide-squad-says-critics-came-prepared-to-hate-it
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 11:47
"As for some of the online haters -- if a film doesn't fit their pre-conceived notion, it is wrong. Female 'Ghostbusters'...these are all sins and must be decried. Give me a f***ing break.
Very wise words.  Thanks for providing this quote TLF. :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

There were many reasons why fans were turned off by the Ghostbusters remake besides the gender of the cast. For a Ghostbusters fan to not see the film solely because of the female actors would indeed be unwise. That would be like a Batman fan refusing to watch Batman v Superman because Jesse Eisenberg didn't conform to their preconceived notion of Lex Luthor.

Watched it yesterday.  Can't say I liked it.  Narrative-wise, it's a mess.  It's like 2-3 movies edited together.  This badly needs an extended cut.

Zack Snyder or Joel Schumacher would have done a far superior job.

Don't know if I like Leto as the Joker, either.  But Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was great casting.  The rest of the cast I didn't really care much about.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  9 Aug  2016, 18:24
There were many reasons why fans were turned off by the Ghostbusters remake besides the gender of the cast. For a Ghostbusters fan to not see the film solely because of the female actors would indeed be unwise. That would be like a Batman fan refusing to watch Batman v Superman because Jesse Eisenberg didn't conform to their preconceived notion of Lex Luthor.
Hey Silver, that was a low blow.

I thought we were friends. :)

Plus, by all means question my choice (although it ultimately came down to reviews and poor word-of-mouth that simply confirmed my prejudices rather than allaying them), but I do think there's a difference.  After all, if people are choosing not to see Ghostbusters 2016 because of the all-female cast, that would be a sexist decision.

That said, I also understand that there was a myriad of reasons why people avoided Ghostbusters 2016, and for what it's worth, I skipped the film too.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.