I feel Nolan was very wrong on one important matter

Started by Edd Grayson, Mon, 8 Jul 2013, 05:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  5 Jun  2014, 05:03
Quote from: riddler on Wed,  4 Jun  2014, 17:10
Bruce contradicts himself throughout the second and third films; as mentioned he is hypocritical only allowing himself to be a vigilante despite the fact that people ARE standing up to the mob and crime which should be a good thing.

Also he entrust Selina Kyle despite her being a thief and a burgalar. Cool character but THAT is who he picks?

Very true. Let's not forget that Bruce was set up by Selina so Bane could beat him up. And yet, Bruce still puts his faith in Selina even though she had betrayed him. Let's face it, he has no logical reason to trust her after that ordeal with Bane. Then again, what do you expect in a Nolan film? This is the guy who thought Harvey Dent allowing himself to be manipulated by the man who killed his girlfriend was a good idea.  ::)

You're right, she's an expert at betrayal, especially from how she stole Martha's diamonds. He also chooses Talia Al Ghul. I mean this is a guy who doesn't get close to anyone, who chooses to segregate himself for 8 years and then yet he entrusts people he barely knows or even worse that he knows to be deceptive?

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  5 Jun  2014, 18:20
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  5 Jun  2014, 05:03
Quote from: riddler on Wed,  4 Jun  2014, 17:10
Bruce contradicts himself throughout the second and third films; as mentioned he is hypocritical only allowing himself to be a vigilante despite the fact that people ARE standing up to the mob and crime which should be a good thing.

Also he entrust Selina Kyle despite her being a thief and a burgalar. Cool character but THAT is who he picks?

Very true. Let's not forget that Bruce was set up by Selina so Bane could beat him up. And yet, Bruce still puts his faith in Selina even though she had betrayed him. Let's face it, he has no logical reason to trust her after that ordeal with Bane. Then again, what do you expect in a Nolan film? This is the guy who thought Harvey Dent allowing himself to be manipulated by the man who killed his girlfriend was a good idea.  ::)

You're right, she's an expert at betrayal, especially from how she stole Martha's diamonds. He also chooses Talia Al Ghul. I mean this is a guy who doesn't get close to anyone, who chooses to segregate himself for 8 years and then yet he entrusts people he barely knows or even worse that he knows to be deceptive?

I know, it doesn't make any sense. All of this reaffirms what I've thought about Batman in this trilogy - that he is the dumbest character in all three movies. And because he is so stupid and dimwitted, it makes him the worst character in the entire trilogy. That's a massive problem for any movie, especially a superhero movie. We can thank the Nolan brothers and Goyer for that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Also mystery is vital for Batman. Otherwise he just becomes a member of SWAT. That's what happened in the Nolan series too much for my liking. The Arkham games have been my go-to in this generation of Bat media. They get it.

They show Batman is an almost supernatural, superhuman force. When he's around, you pay attention. You can have Batman be the focus for the whole runtime if you want - ala Arkham - but it's how people respond to his presence. Maroni doesn't give a damn about Baleman's growling. After freeing the cops from the sewers in TDK Rises, people walk past and don't pay him any attention. For me, there's not the same presence.

Mixed in to this - elements of the trilogy fighting choreography were simply unacceptable. Nameless goons falling over with nobody near them. Running up and pointing guns and being taken down when they should've just aimed and fired from a distance. It goes on, and the TDK suit adds to the SWAT vibe. Burton copped a grilling in the action department, but in hindsight, he has nothing to worry about.