Interview with Alan Burnett

Started by KeatonisBatman, Tue, 17 Oct 2023, 04:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, I recently interviewed Alan Burnett, and he had some interesting insight into BTAS as well as Mask of the Phantasm. Hope you enjoy it   :)

https://brandonkeaton.substack.com/p/up-to-bat-with-alan-burnett

Great interview! Thank you for sharing. 8)

That's interesting that Mr. Burnett is fine with the notion of who the Joker was, but wanting to keep how he became the Joker something of a mystery. Judging from BTAS/TNBA, it came across like the transformation must have been pretty similar to how Bill Finger envisioned it (especially considering the TNBA "Beware the Creeper" episode), but that was pretty late into the series, and perhaps Alan just simply disregards it?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Glad you enjoyed it. Alan is a lovely man who laughed a lot. Kinda comes across like your best mate's dad  :)

I bet Alan Burnett would be in a rude shock if he realised that B89-hating creep Gunn wants to discard every that came before except for his Peacemaker/Suicide Squad characters. Too bad, I would've much prefer Burnett and Paul Dini's screenplay for Batman Beyond come to life.

It was nice of him to acknowledge that underrated The Eye of the Beholder comic. I remember reading that comic sharing strong similarities with the two-part Two-Face BTAS episode, but I'm surprised it was a coincidence.

After watching how Morbius couldn't bite people and had to use plasma powers with his hands in Spider-Man TAS, I'm not all surprised the Nocturna character couldn't appear in BTAS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 19 Oct  2023, 12:23After watching how Morbius couldn't bite people and had to use plasma powers with his hands in Spider-Man TAS, I'm not all surprised the Nocturna character couldn't appear in BTAS.

The Nocturna thing was a fun revelation for me... I had no idea who she even was!