DREDD

Started by Azrael, Sat, 19 Jan 2013, 00:11

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteI did find Urban a little distracting though. It's almost as if he's trying too hard to be a character...much like his Bones in Star Trek. Seemed more like a characature rather than a natural performance.

That's a valid point. But to be fair, the Dredd in the comics is also a caricature. He's a fascist totalitarian bully. What makes it work in the comics is that his one-note personality is so extreme that it actually becomes funny. I'm not sure it comes across that way in the movie though.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  6 Feb  2013, 23:13
That's a valid point. But to be fair, the Dredd in the comics is also a caricature. He's a fascist totalitarian bully. What makes it work in the comics is that his one-note personality is so extreme that it actually becomes funny. I'm not sure it comes across that way in the movie though.

That is the satire I was referring to. Paul Verhoeven would be the best director for this franchise because with him it's never just an action film; Robocop was a satire on the media, Starship Troopers was a satire on fascism and military propaganda etc.

Compare the ending of Robocop with Dredd; the Robocop scene is unabashedly played to comedic effect and is extremely memorable and enjoyable. The Dredd scene on the other hand tried to maintain the more serious tone and the result fell flat IMO. If Dredd had made more of deal/joke about the extremes the Judges go to (something Stallone's film did do to an extent), I would have enjoyed it more.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I agree about the satire. RoboCop got the tone perfect. A good example would be the infamous Ed-209 scene where that poor guy gets shredded by a ridiculously brutal onslaught of gunfire. It's a horrible shooting. But it's so horrible and over-the-top that it actually becomes funny. And the bit afterwards where Dick Jones tries to dismiss it as a small glitch is hilarious. The new Dredd film would have benefited greatly from some of that same self-awareness.

I believe the writers of the original RoboCop have acknowledged the influence of 2000 AD on their script, so in some ways Verhoeven's movie could be considered a loose adaptation. On the DVD extras they explain that they had to alter the earliest costume designs because they looked too much like Dredd.

Executive producer Adi Shankar has announced a new web series as a sequel to the 2012 movie.

QuoteJudge Dredd fans have spent two years clamoring for a sequel to the epic 2012 action movie "Dredd" to no avail. But executive producer Adi Shankar has taken cinematic justice into his own hands, TheWrap has learned.

Shankar has spent the last two years creating a top-secret "Dredd" miniseries centering on the Dark Judges to thank the loyal fans who passionately supported the feature.

Shankar told TheWrap that the project will be released online later this month — and the best part — it will be free.
http://www.thewrap.com/dredd-ep-adi-shankar-reveals-dark-judges-miniseries-coming-soon-online/

I can't wait to see the Dark Judges. I always imagined a live action version of them being similar to the Cenobites in the Hellraiser films. No word yet on whether Urban will be involved.

This sounds great, but I'd prefer to see a sequel or a big budget cinematic treatment of the Dark Judges.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.