Morbius (2020)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

I have never understood the appeal of this character.

Venom? Yes. Wolverine? Yes. Lobo? Yes. But Morbius? Not so much. Still, it looks like Leto has finally found a comic book movie that is worthy of him so I might give this a look. My wife seems very interested to see what's coming. Makes me wonder if this film might have a stronger response from the female audience members than the average comic book film does.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jan  2020, 00:19

I have never understood the appeal of Michael Keaton's performance as the Vulture, as much as I love Keaton like everyone else here. So I'm disappointed to see his appearance in the end of the trailer confirms this movie is tied to Holland's Iron Boy.

Because of that, I'll be using one of my free movie tickets to this at the cinema - if I bother, of course.  :P
Consider this as Sony's punishment for tying this with Holland's overrated portrayal.

I guess that the original plans to make a Sinister Six movie is back in the works? Venom, Morbius, and Mysterio (assuming he survived the second Holland movie, which I never saw).

Hopefully Jared Leto has better success in this sort of film this time around. I wasn't a biggest fan of his Joker, but knowing he was one out of many actors who got f***ed over by Warner Butchers in the DCEU, I can't really criticise him too much.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jan  2020, 00:19

Venom? Yes. Wolverine? Yes. Lobo? Yes. But Morbius? Not so much. Still, it looks like Leto has finally found a comic book movie that is worthy of him so I might give this a look. My wife seems very interested to see what's coming. Makes me wonder if this film might have a stronger response from the female audience members than the average comic book film does.

I think Morbius works fine as an antagonist, but I'm not sold on the idea of him being the antihero is his own film. I liked the way he was depicted in Spider-Man: The Animated Series and I enjoyed his appearances during Dan Chichester's Daredevil run back in the early nineties, though that was more due to Scott McDaniel's artwork than any love of the character.

I also remember being really hyped for him to appear in a Blade sequel back when I was a teenager. Alas, the closest we ever got to that was the alternate ending to the 1998 film.

Other than that, I don't have strong feelings about Morbius. Although he was introduced in 1971, I've always thought of him as a nineties character. Vampires and trench coats were still in vogue back then, and Morbius seemed like the perfect comic book movie villain for the decade that gave us Buffy and The Matrix. But now? I can't remember the last time I read a modern comic featuring Morbius, and I can't imagine the general public have the slightest idea who he is.

But the film might be ok. I didn't like the Venom movie, but I always try to keep an open mind about these things. If nothing else, it's the first bat-themed CBM to feature Michael Keaton since Batman Returns. Sony did a good job keeping his involvement under wraps until now. Presumably they're planning to push ahead with their Sinister Six movie, using Keaton's Vulture as the Nick Fury character that unites and leads the other villains. Obviously I'd rather see Keaton in a Batman Beyond movie, but it's nice to know he's maintaining some involvement with the genre.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 15 Jan  2020, 18:57I think Morbius works fine as an antagonist, but I'm not sold on the idea of him being the antihero is his own film. I liked the way he was depicted in Spider-Man: The Animated Series
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 15 Jan  2020, 18:57I've always thought of him as a nineties character. Vampires and trench coats were still in vogue back then, and Morbius seemed like the perfect comic book movie villain for the decade that gave us Buffy and The Matrix.
Mostly the same. I'd heard of the character before the Spider-Man series but that was my first real exposure to him. I rather enjoyed that. But at the same time, as you imply, the character seemed very one-note. Sort of like a less interesting version of Angel (since you mention Buffy), I gather.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 15 Jan  2020, 18:57But the film might be ok. I didn't like the Venom movie, but I always try to keep an open mind about these things. If nothing else, it's the first bat-themed CBM to feature Michael Keaton since Batman Returns. Sony did a good job keeping his involvement under wraps until now. Presumably they're planning to push ahead with their Sinister Six movie, using Keaton's Vulture as the Nick Fury character that unites and leads the other villains. Obviously I'd rather see Keaton in a Batman Beyond movie, but it's nice to know he's maintaining some involvement with the genre.
My sense of Keaton is that he never really wanted to leave it in the first place. He wanted to participate in a certain context but, on those terms, he rather enjoys the genre. He doesn't want to be defined by it but he's not hostile to it either.

Then again, the thinking goes these days that if you're offered any kind of work when you're a 50+ actor, you take it. So that could be a factor going on here.

New trailer is out now.

Aside from the dumb Venom joke, this doesn't look too bad. I hope it is better than Venom.

To think this movie has been delayed for a year and a half thanks to the pandemic.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I forgot to comment about how much has happened since Morbius' first trailer came out back in early 2020. Who would've thought we would see Leto playing the Joker again in ZSJL and Keaton returning to play Batman once more before this movie would come out? I will laugh if we see these two actors share the screen together again as their DC characters, like the rumours I heard about The Flash and/or Batman Beyond.

These Morbius trailers have lots of Easter eggs of various Spider-Man movie franchises. Not only do you see Keaton's Vulture, you get to see Raimi's Spider-Man gratified on a wall with the word "MURDERER" sprayed across it, the Oscorp building from the TASM series appearing in the background, and the shot of the newspaper is also from Raimi. It makes me wonder if Morbius will be the first movie to explore the multiverse in the post-No Way Home era.

BTW, I love this:

Morbius is now expected to come out in April, here is the new poster.

This film has been delayed for nearly two years. Surely the April date must stick.

Final trailer is out. Features a little more of Keaton's Vulture this time.

Again, Morbius doesn't look too bad. I'll check it out as soon as I get the chance.