The Dark Knight Comic Book Influences (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 05:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Had BTAS on the brain lately. Always loved the Two-Face two-parter. And now I wonder if the idea of Harvey becoming Two-Face and going on the warpath against Thorne was some kind of influence in TDK's depiction of Harvey becoming Two-Face and going on the warpath against Maroni (and others).

I'm starting to wonder about the sticky bomb gun Batman uses to capture Lao.

Apologies for the quality of that screenshot but it was the best I could find after a quick image search on Google.

Honestly, it's the Two-Face connection that gives me pause. Clearly, the gun Batman uses in TDKR serves an entirely different purpose when he was after Two-Face.

And yet, in both instances, we have Batman perched atop a skyscraper holding a gun. I mean, that's a pretty specific type of image. And being as TDK and TDKR both feature Two-Face, I'm just saying this is worth considering.

Also, I'm a little curious about the news shows that TDK occasionally cuts to. TDK uses the news shows to sort of provide a barometer on public support for Batman. TDKR does essentially the same thing.

This thread has a bunch of pages so forgive me if this has been posted already.

This honestly only just occurred to me. But I think the character of Detective Stephens (played by Keith Szarabajka) has a fair few similarities to Harvey Bullock.

They're both Gotham police detectives, both have sort of slobby wardrobes and both are a bit headstrong and outspoken.

Crucially, both seem like good cops who are willing to poke a toe over the line every now and then to get the job done. I could see Bullock beating up a suspect if the suspect mouthed off the wrong way... just like Stephens does (or tries to do).

As to why the character is called "Stephens" rather than "Bullock", I can speculate on that but I don't have any solid evidence.

I can see the similarities. On this topic, it never made sense for him to be in the room with Joker other than for the script to allow the escape. Standing outside in front of the door would've served Stephens' same purpose.