Freeze's motivation

Started by Andrew, Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 19:28

Previous topic - Next topic
A somewhat cheap but still fair complaint against the film is that if Freeze just wanted to do research cure his wife, he could have applied for grants from Wayne or from real-life rich, charitable people and groups.

Does this undermine the character and his origin/motivation a lot or not much? Could a better background and motivation have been done?

I don't think so. Freeze had already been burned by the corporate world once. For the purposes of a fun adventure romp like B&R, I think that's enough to believe that he'd give up on legitimate funding entirely.

Freeze is a character of self empowerment. It's HIS wife and he will solve this problem HIMSELF. He's driven by a very strong sense of duty. Rules and regulations don't matter because he's in a rush to fix this problem. Waiting around isn't his style.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Nov  2017, 00:55Freeze is a character of self empowerment. It's HIS wife and he will solve this problem HIMSELF. He's driven by a very strong sense of duty. Rules and regulations don't matter because he's in a rush to fix this problem. Waiting around isn't his style.
In a way it's a parallel to Bruce in the movie, who seeks to control things on his own, instead of trusting others and asking for help. Playing into Bruce directly asking for Freeze's help at the end and Freeze accepting Batman's help with his wife. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

I just chalk it up as Freeze concluding that breaking the law would be a quicker way to save his wife than going through the proper channels.

That being said I really hate how Freeze refers to himself as the villain as this implies he knows he's a bad guy. Freeze has motivations, he's not just terrorizing Gotham for no reason so based on that he should be viewing Batman as the villain from his perspective.

Quote from: riddler on Sat,  3 Feb  2018, 20:14
I just chalk it up as Freeze concluding that breaking the law would be a quicker way to save his wife than going through the proper channels.

That being said I really hate how Freeze refers to himself as the villain as this implies he knows he's a bad guy. Freeze has motivations, he's not just terrorizing Gotham for no reason so based on that he should be viewing Batman as the villain from his perspective.

That's true. Usually, the tragic villains tend to have this delusion of grandeur of doing something right for the greater good, or see themselves as the victim as they try to save a loved one by any means necessary. I guess Freeze admitting he's a villain was the film's way of trying to be "self-aware".
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei