Gotham: Comic Book Influences (Obvious Spoilers...)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 17:45

Previous topic - Next topic
For now, Oswald's father is kind and paternal. There may be some sinister dealings ahead with the Van Dahl family, though, starting in the next episode.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

The trailer for the next episode seems to suggest that it's Oswald's step-siblings and step-mother who are the bad ones in that family.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm kinda hoping that this subplot with the Van Dahls is what gets Oswald to develop his aristocratic side. He clearly had aspirations as a kid, but lived poor. He already wore an actual tux in the last episode with them. Is it too much to ask for the beginning of the monocle and the cigarette holder? Would be neat to see Reubens's character teach him how to use them, considering that his Tucker Cobblepot used them too in Batman Returns.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 23 Mar  2016, 18:58
I'm kinda hoping that this subplot with the Van Dahls is what gets Oswald to develop his aristocratic side. He clearly had aspirations as a kid, but lived poor. He already wore an actual tux in the last episode with them. Is it too much to ask for the beginning of the monocle and the cigarette holder? Would be neat to see Reubens's character teach him how to use them, considering that his Tucker Cobblepot used them too in Batman Returns.
I agree, although I'd say it's more 'aristocratic aspirations' than true aristocratic side.  I can see him feeling resentment, much like the Penguin of Batman Returns, of the privileged, aristocratic upbringing he was denied (i.e. his 'birth-right'), and affecting the mannerisms of a typical aristocrat, including the monocle and cigarette-holder.

Fri, 25 Mar 2016, 20:53 #74 Last Edit: Fri, 25 Mar 2016, 21:04 by Nycteris
(thought I throw these here too)

Stevenson Taylor Hall in Gotham and in Batman Forever

Possible visual homages.

I'm appreciating Gotham more these days, especially with the Burton influences.

"Prisoners"

There's not much to report from this week. Penguin's father dies, suffering from the same fate as his comic counterpart.

Was kinda hoping the warden's name would be revealed to be Lyle Bolton. Oh well...

"Into the Woods"

Another one with very few comic callbacks or influences, though a solid episode nonetheless.

Nygma's Arkham jumpsuit is D-171. Batman #171 was a Riddler story- The Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler.

Has The Riddler ever been so openly exposed as a villain in the comics?  Most of the Riddler stories I'm familiar with paint him as a shady, sinister guy who manages to evade the law as Ed Nygma has done for so long since killing Ms Kringle (although finding him being condemned to Arkham is at least something of a call-back to the ending of 'Batman Forever').

Well I don't think he's ever been arrested and imprisoned before taking on the Riddler persona in the comics. At this point, he may as well don the green question mark suit.

Corey Michael Smith's Nygma went from an irritating character (to me) to being one of the highlights. A solid take.