Metropolis (2019 TV series)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 20:15

Previous topic - Next topic
DC is developing yet another Superman series without Superman, this time from the makers of Gotham. Metropolis "follows Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city's dark and bizarre secrets."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/01/30/superman-prequel-series-announced-will-focus-on-lois-lane-and-lex-luthor

I generally try to keep an open mind about anything that isn't a Ghostbusters remake, but right now all my instincts are screaming 'hard pass' on this one.

I just don't see the appetite for it. Smallville worked because it was basically a long origin story for superman. Gotham works because Gotham City is still interesting without Batman but Superman just doesn't have the supporting cast Batman does. I doubt many people will care to see Superman's world without his presence. Also benefiting Gotham is the fact that Batman's world takes place pretty much entirely in Gotham city hence why a prequel works; Superman spends time in Krypton, Kansas, and Metropolis so his 'world' is spread out across the galaxy while Bruce Wayne's is centralized.

Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 09:12 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 09:16 by The Dark Knight
I'm really tired with these shows that hide the main character. It's all drumroll and no funky guitar solo. I don't watch Gotham, but when comparing the two concepts, I think that Gotham is just a more interesting place for stories to be told.

It has the world of organized crime and the GCPD. It's a sexy and dangerous place.

I'm all for exploring the inner sanctum of Metropolis. They have Cadmus Labs and Lexcorp, which I feel are under-utilized and underdeveloped in Superman franchise media...especially Cadmus. But they THRIVE with Superman's involvement. He gives everything added purpose and relevance. I'm not yet convinced this will concept engage the fanbase.