Doctor Strange (2016)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 2 Mar 2016, 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

A co-worker of mine is REALLY looking forward to this. Even asking my opinion on a couple of Dr. Strange shirts he's thinking about purchasing. Which is really hilarious since he's only had a passing interest in comic book movies, but he is a Cumberbatch fan, so there's that.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

New trailer released.

In my opinion, this is shaping up to be Marvel's best film since Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Admittedly, it does borrow imagery from Inception (which I didn't hate per se, it's just that the plot didn't do it for me), but it promises to be the most creative and imaginative origin story we've seen in a comic book movie for quite a long time.

Here is the latest poster too.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I saw this over the weekend. I enjoyed it, and thought it was a more enjoyable experience than Civil War. Cumberbatch brings that arrogant swagger in the role perfectly, and the special effects are definitely the most impressive that I've seen in an MCU film in a long time.

But if there is one criticism against it, it does repeat the formula that the MCU is known for, i.e. formulaic story and forgettable villain. In a way, it reminds me of magical version of Iron Man. Not that's necessarily a bad thing.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  1 Nov  2016, 06:16
I saw this over the weekend. I enjoyed it, and thought it was a more enjoyable experience than Civil War. Cumberbatch brings that arrogant swagger in the role perfectly, and the special effects are definitely the most impressive that I've seen in an MCU film in a long time.

But if there is one criticism against it, it does repeat the formula that the MCU is known for, i.e. formulaic story and forgettable villain. In a way, it reminds me of magical version of Iron Man. Not that's necessarily a bad thing.
The MCU regularly knocks it out of the park.  But when is it finally going to give us a truly memorable villain?

I suppose Loki counts, and Ultron was arguably the best part of the otherwise somewhat disappointing Age of Ultron, but time and time again, Marvel does seem to mostly fall down when it comes to the villains, despite casting such great actors as Mads Mikkelsen, Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce in these parts.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I can't muster the enthusiasm to see this. I'll check out Jack Reacher 2 instead. Love or hate Cruise, he's a top quality actor and delivers the goods.