Superman and the Mole Men (1951)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 6 Dec 2012, 21:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 6 Dec 2012, 21:17 Last Edit: Thu, 6 Dec 2012, 21:27 by Silver Nemesis
I watched this movie on Blu-ray last night, and I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it. People talk about Superman (1978) as if it were the first big screen adventure for the Man of Steel. But Superman and the Mole Men was also released theatrically, despite its short running time. And of course before that there were the Kirk Alyn serials. So it's worth revisiting, if only for its historical significance.

Personally, I liked it. The plot drags badly in the middle act (way too many scenes of the Mole Men being chased around the countryside), the limited special effects and low budget are painfully obvious, and the moral imperative about racial tolerance is a bit obvious (though fairly typical of 1950s sci-fi films).

But what made it work for me was George Reeves as Superman. I haven't seen many episodes of the 1950s Superman show, but from what little I have seen I think Reeves was very good in the role. He had the characterisations of both Clark and Superman pegged pretty well. I saw an interview with Dean Cain recently where he stated he'd based his own performance as Superman on Chris Reeve, but his performance as Clark on George Reeves. I also found this neat picture by Alex Ross showing Reeves' Superman with some other familiar TV superheroes. So it seems like his legacy definitely lives on in the hearts of his fans.

Has anyone else around here seen the 1951 movie? Any fans of the fifties Superman in general?

As a kid with no access to comics growing up I would get any Superman I could get. Watching reruns of the Reeves series on TV on a daily basis was great!

I can only remember 2 episodes though!

Really liked Reeves in the part. I didn't know this was on Blu-ray...I must check it out!

The movie is included on the 8 disc Superman: Motion Picture Anthology Blu-ray set. It's essentially the same content that was in the Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD set released back in 2006, plus a few additional extras exclusive to the Blu-ray release. I really can't recommend that collection highly enough. It's by far the best DVD/Blu-ray set I've ever owned, for any movie series. I just wish they'd make a similar collection for Batman. But considering the ongoing legal dispute regarding the sixties TV show, plus Warner Bros' reluctance to acknowledge the existence of any pre-Nolan Batman movies, I doubt we'll ever see the Dark Knight get such a brilliant and comprehensive collection.

Watching Superman and the Mole Men again has made me want to see more of Reeves' Superman. They're selling the DVD sets quite cheap on Amazon at the moment. The entire second season is only £3.99. I was also intrigued to read somewhere that some episodes of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman were based on episodes from the Reeves' show. Here's a comparison between the Reeves' episode 'Panic in the Sky' and the L&C episode 'All Shook Up':
http://www.redboots.net/collide/pits_asu.htm
I'm a big fan of Lois and Clark, so this makes me even more eager to check out the older show.

Did anyone see the 2006 film Hollywoodland based on the mysterious circumstances surrounding Reeves' death? I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I seem to recall it being quite good.

I have the Superman set! Didn't know that was on it.

I've only seen 2/3 of Hollywoodland. Not because I didn't like it but I just haven't had the time to see it all the way through.

Superman and the Mole Men was a pretty good start for George Reeves as Superman. The film apparently that post-WW2 'red scare' influence that many other films of the era shared, but it's easy to see why Reeves was chosen for the part of Superman for this rather than going back to the well with Kirk Alyn. Though Alyn was very good in the role for the late 1940's serials, Reeves was the right man for the job in the 1950's, as he portrayed a very warm, and charming Superman that no doubt would later define the character for a generation.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  7 Dec  2012, 17:48
Did anyone see the 2006 film Hollywoodland based on the mysterious circumstances surrounding Reeves' death? I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I seem to recall it being quite good.

Please do check it out. I initially had my doubts with Ben Affleck playing Reeves in the film, and even though he's proving to be a much better director as of late, for my money his portrayal of Reeves is easily his best as an actor. As I felt he got alot of George's speech patterns, and mannerisms down pat. It's a movie worth checking out for his performance alone.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 8 Dec 2012, 14:55 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Dec 2012, 14:58 by Silver Nemesis
QuoteI have the Superman set! Didn't know that was on it.

Lol. If you haven't already done so, you should check out the other extras on the set too. They include the entire series of Fleisher/Famous Studios animated Superman films from the 1940s (all digitally restored) and the excellent 2 hour documentary Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman (2006). There are some interesting oddities on their too, like the unaired pilot for The Adventures of Superpup (1958), and a 1988 TV documentary/comedy sketch show commemorating Superman's 50th anniversary. Plus about a bazillion documentaries and featurettes. It's a terrific collection.

QuotePlease do check it out. I initially had my doubts with Ben Affleck playing Reeves in the film, and even though he's proving to be a much better director as of late, for my money his portrayal of Reeves is easily his best as an actor. As I felt he got alot of George's speech patterns, and mannerisms down pat. It's a movie worth checking out for his performance alone.

I think I'll pick up a copy of Hollywoodland, as well as some of the Reeves' TV episodes, in the New Year. I'm going to try and reread/rewatch as many great Superman comics, movies and TV shows as I can in the run-up to the release of Man of Steel.

Regarding Affleck, it's funny to think how the public perception of him has changed in the last decade. This time ten years ago he was J-Lo's boyfriend who starred in Pearl Harbour and Daredevil (though of course he'd also made Good Will Hunting). Now he's a critically acclaimed director and a serious contender at the Academy Awards. I think Hollywoodland was perhaps the turning point. It was the first time I remember not disliking him in a role. Although he didn't really look like Reeves, I thought he did a fine job of capturing the actor's charm and mannerisms.

And of course Affleck's co-star in that movie, Diane Lane, is now playing Martha Kent in the upcoming Man of Steel.

I've watched the other features and cartoons but Mole Men passed me by for some reason lol

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  8 Dec  2012, 14:55And of course Affleck's co-star in that movie, Diane Lane, is now playing Martha Kent in the upcoming Man of Steel.
Heh, yeah, she went from boffing Superman to raising him.

But yeah, Hollywoodland, good little flick. Enjoyed it.

I watched this earlier today.

In light of this constant debate over how Superman should be portrayed on screen nowadays, and whether or not he should always be a "fun, bright" and revered character, I really love how this movie shows the fearful angry mob in the local town of Silsby don't have any respect for the Man of Steel. Despite Superman insisting the Mole Men mean no harm, the public are too desperate to do whatever it takes to get rid of them, completely oblivious to the fact the Mole Men are the victims here. It's yet another example of "People hate what they don't understand", as Martha Kent said in BvS.

The angry mob's lack of respect, and intelligence, shows every time they waste their gunfire at Superman as he tries to keep the rest of the town calm. Supes himself doesn't shy away from roughing them up either. Cracks me up, but it does perfectly portray the idiocy of the masses. Superman doesn't shy away from letting a notorious person know for his distaste either, as he tells Luke Benson that saving his life from the Mole Men following his failed attempt to kill them, was more than he deserves. If you disrupt the peace, Superman might still save you, but not without some contempt.

I really like how graceful and professional George Reeves is Clark Kent. He doesn't need to put on a goofy performance to throw suspicion of his secret identity, he's simply a compassionate man always looking to do the right thing, like Dean Cain and Henry Cavill after him.

A special mention should go to Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane. Pushy, but quite the fighter, as she shows she isn't afraid to throw some punches during the hospital scene.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I rather enjoy Reeves in the role too. In relation to the TV show, his Superman is lighthearted and carefree. He has an easygoing gentle nature (except when he needs to beat the tar out of somebody and then heads start rolling after that). You can picture him rescuing somebody from a terrifying situation and instantly setting them at ease with his big smile and calm demeanor.

His Clark is more serious and hard-nosed. He's a man of action and he doesn't take any crap from anybody. I can actually see why nobody suspects Clark to be Superman. If anybody did, they'd probably dismiss the idea immediately since they'd think that if Clark had Superman's powers, it wouldn't be a secret. He'd use them. And that would be that.

Superman is relatively easygoing while Clark is more of a hard@$$. It's a bit of a strange acting decision but you can't say it doesn't play like gangbusters.