Interstellar(2014)

Started by mrrockey, Sun, 9 Nov 2014, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Any thoughts on Interstellar? In short, while I think the film has its problems, the first half of the film is quite slow, there's often too much technobabble and exposition in the script, and the film is perhaps is bit too long. However, once Interstellar kicks off, the film becomes fascinating, intriguing, thrilling, and emotionally engrossing.

What did you think of Interstellar?

Discuss...

I was wondering how long it would be before someone creates a topic on it. 9.2 on the IMDB but we all know Nolanites have plenty of accounts.

I'm actually boycotting it in theatres. I don't even know if I ever will see it, the last 2 Nolan films (Inception and the dark knight rises) have been very underwhelming IMO.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 01:03
I was wondering how long it would be before someone creates a topic on it. 9.2 on the IMDB but we all know Nolanites have plenty of accounts.

I'm actually boycotting it in theatres. I don't even know if I ever will see it, the last 2 Nolan films (Inception and the dark knight rises) have been very underwhelming IMO.
9.2 on IMDb but only 73% so far on Rotten Tomatoes.  :-X

I'm not entirely sure I'll boycott it.  I honestly like/love most of Nolan's films, but the hardcore Nolan fans, ironically, put me off from giving a single penny/cent to this film.

I'm actually amused by the fact that Big Hero Six is currently outgrossing Interstellar at the US domestic box-office.  For all the hype and meticulous marketing, opening on the same day as a Disney animated feature seems like a bit of a dumb move.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Checked it out this past Saturday night.  :)

Liked it, just didn't love it. Nolan is a talented filmmaker for sure, and each time I go to see one of his films, I try and view them for what is presented to me, rather than continually think of his vocal fanbase that is evidently more irksome to some more than it is with me.

With Interstellar, it's a fine film in it's own right, with some powerful moments along the way. Absolutely loved the Hans Zimmer score and genuinely feel it's probably one of the better scores he's done that I am aware of. McConaughey was excellent, and I had no issues with the rest of the cast either. I really liked the character of TARS, and thought it was a breath of fresh air. Especially with all the sarcasm. Again, I liked it, but didn't love it. There's alot of pseudoscience/theories elements in the plot, and when we get to the third act, and without giving too much away, the film goes into something that seems straight out of the Twilight Zone. I think the less that universally stellar rating is justified to some extent. It's certainly not a perfect film (there's some decisions made that I found questionable), but it is, overall, generally well made and worthy of a recommendation.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."