Pierce Brosnan turned down Tim Burton's Batman

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 21 Aug 2014, 03:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Maybe, but I can't really imagine Batman without Keaton.

I think he would have been a more classical choice than Michael Keaton (i.e. more of a handsome playboy type), although I'm not sure he'd be able to mask the Irish accent (much like Sean Connery, I can't think of any occasions in which Brosnan has used a different accent to his own).  I'm not saying there couldn't be an Irish Batman though Paul.  ;)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 11:18
I think he would have been a more classical choice than Michael Keaton (i.e. more of a handsome playboy type), although I'm not sure he'd be able to mask the Irish accent (much like Sean Connery, I can't think of any occasions in which Brosnan has used a different accent to his own).  I'm not saying there couldn't be an Irish Batman though Paul.  ;)

then i'll say it :P

lol. but he could have been good as long as he made the voice believable. i don't want to upset anyone but he IS an american hero after all.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 13:17
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 11:18

then i'll say it :P

lol. but he could have been good as long as he made the voice believable. i don't want to upset anyone but he IS an american hero after all.
I totally agree, but the last guy to play the part was Welsh!

Lately we've had a British Superman, a British Batman, a British Spider-Man, and an American Sherlock Holmes.

my point is he better SOUND american. doesn't matter where he's from lol

Robin Hood barely sounded English in the movies, only Cary Elwes did as far as I know  ;D

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 15:41
Lately we've had a British Superman, a British Batman, a British Spider-Man, and an American Sherlock Holmes.

Add to that an Australian Wolverine, an Australian Thor and a British Daredevil.

Accent aside, I think Brosnan would have made a very good Batman. He's physically closer to the Bruce Wayne in the comics than any of the actors who played him in the Burton-Schumacher series. He brought a strong physicality to the role of Bond, he can be effortlessly charming when the scene demands it, and he's got the acting chops to portray the different sides of the character. I think he would have been good in the role.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 17:59

Add to that an Australian Wolverine, an Australian Thor and a British Daredevil.

Accent aside, I think Brosnan would have made a very good Batman. He's physically closer to the Bruce Wayne in the comics than any of the actors who played him in the Burton-Schumacher series. He brought a strong physicality to the role of Bond, he can be effortlessly charming when the scene demands it, and he's got the acting chops to portray the different sides of the character. I think he would have been good in the role.

Superman and Thor are not American so that shouldn't matter. Bale and Jackman did american accents.

It would be a plot point needing to be addressed; Gotham city is in the US and Bruce Wayne was clearly born there so it wouldn't make sense for him to use a non-american accent. Though I've had the discussion with people about the Bale voice and most people agree it would have been better for him to simply speak in his Welsh accent as Batman to disguise the voice.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 22 Aug  2014, 12:22
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Aug  2014, 17:59

Superman and Thor are not American so that shouldn't matter. Bale and Jackman did american accents.

It would be a plot point needing to be addressed; Gotham city is in the US and Bruce Wayne was clearly born there so it wouldn't make sense for him to use a non-american accent. Though I've had the discussion with people about the Bale voice and most people agree it would have been better for him to simply speak in his Welsh accent as Batman to disguise the voice.
Yes, but Superman/Clark Kent was raised in Smallville, Kansas since he was an infant.  He's not going to have a 'Kryptonian' accent is he?  ;)