Batman: Earth One Series

Started by phantom stranger, Thu, 10 Dec 2009, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I got done with it. It was alright. I thought the "twist" was one of he most predictable things, as they alluded to it hardcore in Vol 2.

The art was fantastic, and the setup for Joker in Vol 4 looks great, but we'll just have to see if we even get to a new Vol. For some reason, I thought they said this was he last one they're going for Earth One...or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with something else?

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 30 Jun  2021, 14:22
I got done with it. It was alright. I thought the "twist" was one of he most predictable things, as they alluded to it hardcore in Vol 2.

The art was fantastic, and the setup for Joker in Vol 4 looks great, but we'll just have to see if we even get to a new Vol. For some reason, I thought they said this was he last one they're going for Earth One...or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with something else?
It makes sense. Earth One attracted fans and curious parties. Sales were up so it makes sense that DC would want to kill it. Very logical.

Srsly tho, Earth One was DiDio's cause. Now that he's out of the picture, I don't think there's anyone left to be a cheerleader for the imprint anymore. Shame. The Superman volumes were pretty good. I had problems with some aspects of Superman vol. 03. But otherwise, pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, I have Superman and Green Lantern Earth One, but haven't gotten to them yet.

I heard Superman was terrible. So I guess I've heard mixed things? Maybe I'll get to that next....

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 30 Jun  2021, 14:58
Yeah, I have Superman and Green Lantern Earth One, but haven't gotten to them yet.

I heard Superman was terrible. So I guess I've heard mixed things? Maybe I'll get to that next....
It's only rly volume 3 that bugged me. If you enjoy Snyder's Man Of Steel, I imagine you'll adore volume 1. MOS and vol. 1 aren't interchangeable. But the similarities speak for themselves, let's be real.

You heard Superman Earth One was terrible from the same crowd that hates Snyder's Superman. I for one enjoyed all three volumes and believe it's the ideal modern interpretation of the character.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 30 Jun  2021, 20:13

It's only rly volume 3 that bugged me. If you enjoy Snyder's Man Of Steel, I imagine you'll adore volume 1. MOS and vol. 1 aren't interchangeable. But the similarities speak for themselves, let's be real.

I've read six books under the Earth One titles: all three Superman stories, the first two Batman stories (not gonna bother with the third one, my opinion of Geoff Johns has soured too much to invest any time to read his work nowadays), and the first Wonder Woman by Grant Morrison.

I can comfortably say that Superman Earth One Vol. 1 is the best out of that whole lot. Anyone who is looking for a more introspective look at Clark Kent and Superman will definitely appreciate it.

The only Earth One book I recommend NOT to read is Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1. It's an absolute waste of time. No real conflict, no villain. Just a boring story about Diana Prince at risk of getting exiled from Themyscira because she defied Amazon law, but nothing else is at stake. Disappointing.

I do want to read Green Lantern: Earth One, out of curiosity.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm convinced Gary Frank must've been inspired by this sketch of Batman that was drawn in Wizard Magazine twenty years ago. The idea for this sketch was inspired by the thought of DC having the equivalent of Marvel's Ultimates run.

If you look at the stitching on the cowl and the torso, as well as the enlarged utility belt, it's similar to how Batman was drawn in Earth One Vol. 1.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei