Batman: Knightfall

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 2 Aug 2014, 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic
After reading DocLathropBrown's 75th anniversary feature, I figured it was about time this story got its own thread.

Surely every Batman fan has read it at some point. I first read it back in primary school, not long after the first trade paperback edition was published. More recent editions have included the Vengeance of Bane one-shot at the beginning, but the copy I first read didn't. It does help if you've read the relevant prelude materials before embarking on the main story. And by 'relevant prelude materials' I mean:

•   Batman: Venom (1991)
•   Batman: Vengeance of Bane (1993)
•   Batman: Sword of Azrael (1993)

A couple of other significant stories which aren't included in the collected editions:

'Killer's Bane' (Batman #489, February 1993): The fateful encounter between Bane and Killer Croc, during which the former breaks the latter's arms. Also the issue in which Jean-Paul Valley first dons the batsuit, only to be dismissed by Bane as an imposter. This is why Jean-Paul is so keen to prove himself against Bane later in the saga.

'Who Riddled the Riddler?' (Batman #490, March 1993): Bane injects the Riddler with Venom, giving Batman an early taste of what the super steroid can do. The issue ends with Bane and his gang planning the Arkham breakout. If you ever wondered why the Riddler has his arm in a sling after he breaks out of Arkham, it's because he got shot in this issue.

While it helps to have read these stories, they're by no means essential. I always think of Knightfall as being the Batman equivalent of the 'Death of Superman' storyline. Partly because they were published within a year of each other, but mainly because they both show the hero meeting their match against an insurmountable physical adversary. That said, I definitely rate Knightfall a lot higher than the Death of Superman.

What does everyone else think about this one?

The first volume particularly - the Arkham breakout right up to Batman's defeat, is magical. One of the best Batman tales out there. A nice pace that sustains interest, and coated in doom. When Bane is portrayed closely to this comic, he's one of the best Batman villains. That's why the Arkham Origins Bane is probably the second best, after this one. Knightfall is indeed the 'Death of Superman' equivalent, but for my money, much better. The villain is strong, but smart and calculating. Not just punching everything in sight, ala Doomsday. Knightfall exemplifies the never give up, defiant go-it alone nature of Batman. He won't stop until the job is done. And that's why he's destined to die in combat.

I have Vengeance of Bane 1 & 2. I love Venom and always meant to get a copy for myself (my friends brother had all the issues and TPB before I got into collecting).

I know guys that really don't rate Bane as a villain, but I think that when done right (like in the stories mentioned and Bane of the Demon) he is better than the 1trick pony everyone thinks of.

Agreed, Paul. I like Bane to be his own man with men at his disposal, and with elements of military weapons and vehicles. In Knightfall this is the rocket launchers used to penetrate Arkham. Bane uses a rocket launcher in Origins too. It is bizarre the character is so readily betrayed with the dumb, hulking brute characterisation when the original intention was the exact opposite. Mind and muscle in tandem, being an extremely well read guy. Patient, strong and wise from living life in prison. TDK Rises wasn't really a good advertisement of the character - I found it to be a confused translation of what should be his strengths. It is clear the writers aren't sure what to do with Bane post back breaking Batman - but getting the characterisation right is a start.

Sun, 3 Aug 2014, 19:27 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 3 Aug 2014, 23:02 by Silver Nemesis
That's the problem. When you have a character as strong and intelligent as Bane, how can the hero repeatedly overcome them? In many ways Bane represents Batman's supreme challenge. Perhaps even more so than the Joker. But from a dramatic standpoint, the challenge can seem lessened if it's overcome too many times. I think that's what happened with Bane. Initially he was this terrifying adversary that left Bruce broken and traumatised. But over the years he seems to have lost his drive. He's become a more passive player in Gotham. And that makes me wonder if maybe they should have killed him off after the Bane of the Demon storyline?

One of the things I love about the first half of Knightfall is the way Bruce is worn down in the run up to the big fight. He's already exhausted and recovering from an illness at the beginning, and from there things just get worse. In his weakened state he has to take on Mad Hatter, Amygdala, Zsasz, Joker and a bunch of other villains. And then he has to confront Bane, his toughest opponent. You feel exhausted just reading it. I watched The Dark Knight Rises again last week, and I found myself wishing the Blackgate breakout had occurred before the Batman-Bane fight. I'd have liked to have seen some of that exhaustion in the movie, with Batman wearing himself out tackling minor enemies before going up against Bane.

I always think of it as being the Batman equivalent of Rocky III (1982), with Bane representing Clubber Lang. In both stories the hero is broken, physically and mentally. But that makes it all the more satisfying when they return, stronger and wiser, to settle the score with their enemy.

Yes, it is. He knows Bruce's secret and where he lives. There's only so much you can do with such plots before it becomes repetitive and ineffective. I think there's a way to have him deadly without reducing his effectiveness. In Arkham Origins, he beats Batman down and only lets him off the hook when a police gunship arrives, forcing him to flee. Writing like that perhaps. There's got to be a way.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  3 Aug  2014, 19:27
I watched The Dark Knight Rises again last week, and I found myself wishing the Blackgate breakout had occurred before the Batman-Bane fight. I'd have liked to have seen some of that exhaustion in the movie, with Batman wearing himself out tackling minor enemies before going up against Bane.
Agreed. In the movie, Bane hasn't done anything to wear Batman down. The guy is just out of practice . It's the same imagery of the comic, but without the same meaning and context behind it. And it is inferior.

The final Knightfall fight before Bane, Batman completely loses control and beats the guy hard. That was the last few drops of juice he had left, mentally and physically. When he returns to the cave, he's ready to crash in bed. That's all he wants to do. Fighting is the last thing on his mind. I like that, because it works on a variety of levels. Despite exhaustion, Batman suits up for battle one last time. He has no choice. He's afraid but brave and defiant, not suicidal. And the reader can mount the case Batman could beat Bane if fit and healthy. Because as we know, villains never play fair.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  4 Aug  2014, 14:37The final Knightfall fight before Bane, Batman completely loses control and beats the guy hard. That was the last few drops of juice he had left, mentally and physically. When he returns to the cave, he's ready to crash in bed. That's all he wants to do. Fighting is the last thing on his mind. I like that, because it works on a variety of levels. Despite exhaustion, Batman suits up for battle one last time. He has no choice. He's afraid but brave and defiant, not suicidal. And the reader can mount the case Batman could beat Bane if fit and healthy. Because as we know, villains never play fair.

That's one of the best cliff-hangers in Batman history – when Bruce steps into Wayne Manor and sees Bane waiting for him. It's the worst possible timing for Bruce. And it's the ultimate violation of his sanctuary. The worlds of Batman and Bruce Wayne have always been separated by the Batcave. To step out of the cave and find Batman's enemies waiting for him on the other side – that's like someone leaving Narnia through the wardrobe and finding the White Witch waiting for them in the real world. It means nowhere's safe. And that's a very frightening concept.

Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 06:00 #7 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 06:02 by DocLathropBrown
Knightfall, for me, is the most gripping Batman story, and the story that I think best endeared the character to me beyond Michael Keaton as a kid. Knightfall was happening right when I was a 7 year old, the prime age for comic readers, and I was already a fan from the Burton films, the 60s show and TAS. But had it not been for Knightfall, I don't think I might have transitioned into the comics themselves. I was a poor child and couldn't afford many issues, but the few pieces of the story I did have just compelled me.

For Christmas the year later ( I think), I got the Denny O'Neil novelization for Christmas, so I learned the gist of the story there, but when I was finally able to track down the entire unabridged version in the actual comics, it blew my mind. Bruce's superhuman drive to survive the gauntlet Bane puts him through is the kinda thing that gives me the lasting chills.

Interestingly, I think Batman works best as a character with small stories. One-shots or two-parters at most. Truly serialized Batman stories don't tend to 'work' for me, or usually aren't tried often. But the concept of Knightfall was so strong that it's serialized much more tightly than usual Batman comics, and for once it works. The visual of the Bat logo slowly being eclipsed is one of the most iconic concepts in comic pubishing history to me, along with its shattering to reveal the Jean-Paul-designed Bat logo.

I'll never forget the first time I read Batman #497... Bane was so unabashedly wicked, Bruce so far gone... but the moment when Bruce's blood starts to boil and Bane finally draws the line, when Bruce pulls his mask back on with renewed fervor and leaps forward (expecting it to be his final battle), I about cheered, something no other comic has ever done to me. When I see that, to this day, I think "YES! THAT'S my hero!"

The 'fight' that follows is one of the saddest comics I've ever read, and it was so incredibly brave on DC's part to do. To actually have Batman (truly) lose, for the first time ever. Superman went out on his feet at least, giving as good as he got. But Bruce was about as threatening as a mouse. In the film, there's no real reason for it, but in Knightfall, it's a beautiful tragedy. The narration truly makes your eyes wet as Bruce recounts everything he's been through, and the realization that he's finally met his end, not realizing Bane wanted him to live on in crippled exile.

I think Knightfall is the most beautifully and perfectly constructed suspense event in comics. The build to #497 was masterful, with every reader on the edge of their seats. Jean-Paul's thrashing of Bane in the end is one of the most satisfying moments in comics, for him to have been so deservedly whooped. Bruce was truly avenged.

I could go on and on...
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 22:01 #8 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 22:03 by Silver Nemesis
Great post, Doc. You've eloquently articulated why this is such a special story to those of us who started reading comics back in the 90s.

I find Batman fans tend to divide into two camps when it comes to Batman's level of vulnerability. There are those, like Kevin Smith, who like the invincible godlike version of Batman. Then there are those who prefer a more human and fallible interpretation. I'm definitely a fan of the second type. It's the battles which expose Batman's weaknesses that pack the most powerful dramatic punches. Be it the Knightfall battle against Bane, his failure to save Jason in A Death in the Family, or the scene in the 1989 film where he's badly injured and has to climb the cathedral to save Vicki. That's where we see his true heroism, his perseverance in the face of his own mortality and the very real possibility that he could die.

It always bothers me when people criticise Superman for being too invincible, then confidently assert that Batman could definitely beat Superman in a fight. If Superman's near-invulnerability renders his adventures boring, then how does Batman's alleged superiority to Superman affect his stories? I think we need tales like Knightfall to remind us that even the most outwardly perfect heroes can fail. And it's in those moments of failure that they best demonstrate the heroic virtue of humility.

Exactly. I love the calculated precision of Batman as much as the next guy, but when it gets to the point that Batman never loses, not even to beings far beyond him... it's as rediculous to me as Batman dancing in the 1966 series. Batman works best in his own world. I don't like him on the Justice League because he has no place there beyond a minor support role. DC has kept him there because he was there since the beginning, but they need to rethink it.

Of course, DC couldn't shake that up even if they wanted to. These are a group of fans who wrote angry protest letters when Wonder Woman cut her hair for a short story arc.  ???
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton