DC Comics Aims to Diversify Lineup Post-"Convergence," Plans 24 New Series

Started by The Joker, Fri, 6 Feb 2015, 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=59085

QuoteDC Comics is overhauling its publishing line in June, and the message from the company is clear: An increased focus on diversity, reflected in creators, characters and storytelling styles. Twenty-five of the highest-profile existing series will remain, while 24 new series will be introduced, for a current total of 49 DC Universe titles -- meaning the end of "the New 52" branding, used since DC's reboot and relaunch in fall 2011.

In a high-profile move, Eisner-winning comics creator Gene Luen Yang, known for his graphic novels including "American Born Chinese" and "The Shadow Hero," will make his DC Comics debut by taking on writing duties on "Superman," joining current series artist John Romita Jr. Yang follows DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns on the series.

Additionally, long-time comics veteran Bryan Hitch, who illustrated multiple titles published by DC including "The Authority" and "JLA" before moving to Marvel, is returning to DC to write and draw a new "Justice League of America" series. The "Hitman" creative team of Garth Ennis and John McCrea are also back at DC, for the limited series "Section Eight," featuring characters originally introduced in "Hitman."

Ming Doyle, currently artist on Vertigo series "The Kitchen," moves to writing duties in the DC Universe with "Constantine: The Hellblazer," which takes the place of "Constantine" in DC's publishing line, and adds the "Hellblazer" name from the character's Vertigo days. Riley Rossmo, a veteran of multiple series at Image Comics, will illustrate the series.

DC's press release announcing the new lineup stresses a progressive approach aimed at appealing to a wide range of fans. The words "inclusive" and "accessible" are used, with DC looking to target its "next generation of fans." These changes follow the two-month "Convergence" event running in April and May, coinciding with the move of DC's editorial department from New York City to Burbank, and featuring short stories drawing upon multiple aspects of DC history and continuity.

"This heralds in a new era for the DC Universe which will allow us to publish something for everyone, be more expansive and modern in our approach and tell stories that better reflect the society around us," DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio said in the press release. "Whether you've been a DC fan your whole life, or whether you are new to comics -- there will be a book for you beginning in June."

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity as we continue to empower creators to tell the best stories in the industry," DiDio said in the announcement.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Bleh I was coming to post this from that same site. Jerk.

lol

I'm excited about the Amanda Conner/Jimmy Palmiotti stuff. I freaking adore the Harley comic and her Power Girl story was great. Starfire should be fun too. And the other ones I read all survived the cut so yay.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat,  7 Feb  2015, 00:45
Bleh I was coming to post this from that same site. Jerk.

QuoteI'm excited about the Amanda Conner/Jimmy Palmiotti stuff. I freaking adore the Harley comic and her Power Girl story was great. Starfire should be fun too. And the other ones I read all survived the cut so yay.

Yeah, seems like the titles that are selling well, or well enough, are going to continue on while alot of the DCU is, from what I gather, taking something of a "All Star" approach where Nu52 continuity is taking a back seat to whatever story the writer/artists want to tell.

Which is a pretty cool approach. Personally, after 4-5 years of Nu52, and with Marvel doing whatever with their own continuity following their upcoming SECRET WARS event, a tight, cohesive continuity simply does not exist anymore with todays comics, and this isn't even taking into account all the retcons that can, and often does take place in comics at any given moment.

The "Story trumps Continuity" approach, I believe, is the right approach to take as a consequence. As it's certainly more "new reader" friendly, and enables writers/artists to take stories to places they couldn't have otherwise outside of maybe a mini-series, or of course, What If's and Elseworlds titles.

Following CONVERGENCE, I'm curious to see just how that event will impact the Nu52-verse as it stands right now. I notice that the upcoming Justice League title features the team at the very start of the Nu52, rather than the current roster....

Intrigued ....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I like all the stories being a bit different and "self contained" or whatever the hell the term is lol. It's irritating to finish one book and you're like "OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!" and it says "The story continues in" and it's a totally different comic altogether. Ugh.

Love the "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" gif lol.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in the smorgasbord of #1 issues slowing down any time soon, but hopefully this laxed approach on continuity will have an effect on DC having to rely upon event after event to keep sales up and what not.

I really don't expect DC events to go away completely, but just even slowing down some of that stuff would be an improvement.  :)