25th anniversary releases

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
My copy arrived about ten minutes ago and I've just popped Disc 2 in to clear the confusion surrounding what exactly it contains. It's just The Birth of the Modern Blockbuster and nothing else, unfortunately, and it runs for twenty-four minutes. I don't know what happened to the other two extras we were supposedly getting (Batman Reunited and The Making of a Hero).
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Did you get it from Zavvi?

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 10:32
Did you get it from Zavvi?
Yep! This is the Zavvi-exclusive UK release. I'm assuming it'll be the same worldwide.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Well, then they are lying feckers. Mine should arrive today...it's going back.

I can confirm this. I'm watching it now....however, there is Keaton is interviewed in the documentary, finally!!
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Just got done watching it and aside from Keaton's affectionate look back at the experience, the whole thing is borderline insulting. Yes, it explores how Batman changed everything in terms of how blockbusters are made, but it basically implies that the movie was crap and wouldn't have been successful without the hype. I'm stunned that someone signed off on this, feels like the studio just took s great big dump on a film beloved by a great many people.

Avoid!

Quote from: PJ on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 12:34
Just got done watching it and aside from Keaton's affectionate look back at the experience, the whole thing is borderline insulting. Yes, it explores how Batman changed everything in terms of how blockbusters are made, but it basically implies that the movie was crap and wouldn't have been successful without the hype. I'm stunned that someone signed off on this, feels like the studio just took s great big dump on a film beloved by a great many people.

Avoid!
Thanks for the heads-up PJ.   I wasn't intending to buy this release anyway, but I appreciate the mini-review.

Can you elaborate on why you think the documentary implies that the film was crap?  Admittedly it's the type of thing I'd now expect from Warner Bros whilst they continue to fellate Nolan, Snyder and Goyer  ::) but I'm curious as to what how blatant they are in their contempt for Burton's seminal Batman movies.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: PJ on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 12:34

Avoid!

shaking my head.

I'm in 2 minds on whether to return this blu-ray or open it to see how bad it is...

The only actual crew members interviewed are Keaton and Peter Guber, the rest are made up of industry analysts/critics, Geoff Johns, David Goyer and a couple of WB execs. All of which focus on the money that was made and how Batman created "your movie doesn't have to be good as long as opens huge." Model of filmmaking.

Like I said, pretty insulting

Quote from: PJ on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 16:29
The only actual crew members interviewed are Keaton and Peter Guber, the rest are made up of industry analysts/critics, Geoff Johns, David Goyer and a couple of WB execs. All of which focus on the money that was made and how Batman created "your movie doesn't have to be good as long as opens huge." Model of filmmaking.

Like I said, pretty insulting
Do they actually use that line?  >:(

Even if they don't, I agree, it sounds very insulting.

I wonder if we'll ever get a decent Batman and Batman Returns upgrade Blue-Ray/DVD/whatever.

And what the hell is Goyer doing there?  Has he ever said anything complimentary about the Burton films?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.